Morocco questions

Old March 10th, 2004, 07:32 PM
Chuckles

Default Morocco questions

(a) One book I read seemed to suggest that you need reservations for
first-class train travel. Is this true?

(b) What might it cost to go to Volubilis by renting a car w/driver
from Fez (and return to Fez)?

Many thanks
Old March 14th, 2004, 07:01 PM
Blue Men of Morocco

May I suggest you contact the official guide I work with in Fes.... Speaks
good English and a real help....
Or contact me and I shall give you more info.

I highly recommend you have a guide while in Fes and he can also set up this
transportation for you.
About 1 hour to Volubilis. At least 1 and 1/2 hours to explore the ruins,
about 1 hour return to Fes.
Depending on season, at least 100 Euros as you have the car almost all day.
But maybe my guy can get you a cheaper price....

E. Elena Hall, Co Director Blue Men of Morocco Co. Visit us in Morocco!
http://www.bluemenofmorocco.com
om...

Old March 15th, 2004, 02:03 AM
Chuckles

"Blue Men of Morocco" wrote in message ...

I highly recommend you have a guide while in Fes and he can also set up this
transportation for you. About 1 hour to Volubilis. At least 1 and 1/2 hours to
explore the ruins, about 1 hour return to Fes.
Depending on season, at least 100 Euros as you have the car almost all day.

3.5 hours = all day? And e-mails from others suggest that 350-500 Dh,
which is 30-45 euros, is the correct range.

But maybe my guy can get you a cheaper price....

Sure, and a cheap price for carpets too.

I was prepared to be approached by touts in Morocco, but it has
started before arrival. (This tour operator has also written to me
directly.)
Old March 16th, 2004, 07:23 AM
Blue Men of Morocco

This was entirely misunderstood by Chuckles.
By "My guy", I meant the official guide I use there who has become a friend. There is nothing in it for me as I organize tours..

I sent the name with email of the guide directly to "Chuckles" in case he wanted to use a guide as Fes is such a beautiful Imperial city with a long history with connections to Spain besides the Arab world The official guides are college trained and prepared to answer all types of questions about Fes. With their services, one can get a good understanding of the history, architecture, culture, background of the city. The first university in the world was in Fes.....where different religions were tolerated....

If one wants to see all the different types of craftsmanship- leather tanneries, ceramic and tile making, bronze sculpturing, Fassi high quality rugs , your guide will show and explain these. If you want to buy antiques, ok. Museums, schools, ...

The medina area is quite large. Even Moroccans who live in other places use guides or friends to show them around as it is so easy to get lost there.

I learned my lesson and shall not offer advice to individuals again without prior request!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If he can get a driver and car all day for 350 - 500 Dh, I'd like to know about it.....

Old March 16th, 2004, 09:33 PM
Miguel Cruz

Blue Men of Morocco wrote:
The medina area is quite large. Even Moroccans who live in other places
use guides or friends to show them around as it is so easy to get lost
there.

It is large and labyrinthine. However, for anything but the whirlwind
tourist, I don't see the point in a guide just for finding one's way around.
After 3 or 4 days it's pretty easy to navigate. And the worst consequence of
getting lost is ending up on the far side of the medina walls and having to
spend $2 on a 5-minute taxi ride to get back to where you started.

miguel
--
Hundreds of travel photos from around the world: http://travel.u.nu/
Old March 19th, 2004, 08:13 AM
Blue Men of Morocco

Most of the people we bring to Fes have 1 day or 2 days- at the most to
visit Fes. Also the official guide I use does an excellent job of
explaining the history, culture, monuments, etc to my clients to enrich
their experience and knowledge of Fes. So far, all have been quite
satisfied. Also, if they are looking for something special to purchase,
time has been saved to find the antique shops, or whatever for the
particular items in mind..
Of course, if one has several days, should be fun to wander around. But
also good to get a background of the city- or cities I should say, as Fes
has 2 old parts and 1 new part besides the Old Jewish quarter (as I
recollect).

Old March 28th, 2004, 03:21 PM
Chuckles

"Blue Men of Morocco" wrote in message ...
May I suggest you contact the official guide I work with in Fes.... Speaks
good English and a real help....
Or contact me and I shall give you more info.

I highly recommend you have a guide while in Fes and he can also set up this
transportation for you.
About 1 hour to Volubilis. At least 1 and 1/2 hours to explore the ruins,
about 1 hour return to Fes.
Depending on season, at least 100 Euros as you have the car almost all day.
But maybe my guy can get you a cheaper price....

I have now returned from Mrocco and my suspicions are confirmed. The
'offical' printed rate for a ound trip to Volubilis from Fes is 500DH
(45 euros)---this is the rate sheet shown to us by hotels and booking
agencies. (Of course, it only takes 3-4 hours, not the whole day as
claimed above.) We walked over to the grand taxi stand nearby and got
them to take us to Volubilis and then drop us off in Meknes, whole
car, 350 DH. The driver had the same sheet and he showed it to me and
we both laughed at what a ripoff it was.

Now if 45 euros is a ripoff, you can judge what 100 euros is. Avoid
this "Blue Men of Morocco" tour operator like the plague.

And incidentally, we had only 2 days in Fes, but we had no problem in
the medina without a guide. We went everywhere, did everything. The
whole guide business is a sucker's game---it's too complicated, you'll
get lost, complete crap to fleece the tourists. One store we went into
was so grateful we didn't have a guide...they said the commission as
40%. (Of course, this could be considered part of the pitch, i.e. we
can give you a good price, but I tend to believe that 40% figure.
Certainluy the licensed guides were keeping an eagle eye on what their
charges were buying.)