indepedent travel in East Africa

Old February 29th, 2004, 07:49 PM
Terren Suydam

Default indepedent travel in East Africa

Hello,

My wife and I are planning our first trip to East Africa, with a
likely itinerary including trips to Uganda or Rwanda, Tanzinia, and/or
Kenya. We like to go off the beaten path, and we enjoy ourselves more
when we don't have our hand held everywhere.

We're trying to get a sense of how much independence we can get away
with and still be reasonably assured that we'll get the experiences
we're hoping for. Obviously, we're planning on something in between
the extremes of an all-inclusive trip and just showing up and booking
things on the fly.

We'd like to hear from experienced travellers who, like us, enjoy
independance and are used to relying on their wits. How conducive is
East Africa to this kind of travel?

Terren
Old February 29th, 2004, 10:29 PM
Pat Anderson

In message , Terren
Suydam writes
Hello,

My wife and I are planning our first trip to East Africa, with a
likely itinerary including trips to Uganda or Rwanda, Tanzinia, and/or
Kenya. We like to go off the beaten path, and we enjoy ourselves more
when we don't have our hand held everywhere.

We're trying to get a sense of how much independence we can get away
with and still be reasonably assured that we'll get the experiences
we're hoping for. Obviously, we're planning on something in between
the extremes of an all-inclusive trip and just showing up and booking
things on the fly.

We'd like to hear from experienced travellers who, like us, enjoy
independance and are used to relying on their wits. How conducive is
East Africa to this kind of travel?

Terren

I think you may get different answers on this one Terren. We have
travelled independently around Kenya and also took a few days in
Zanzibar. By independently I mean we booked our own flights and hotels,
lodges, car hire etc. We did live in Kenya for several years, which
helped, but if you haven`t been before I think you may need to
consider some safety aspects. Going off the beaten track for instance,
when you are not familiar with the countries mentioned, may not be a
good idea. I`m not trying to be alarmist but it needs some thought.
There are people on this board who will offer more advice and give you
a wider aspect.
One thing you can do is to fly to the game reserves. It costs more but
is quicker and avoids long road journeys. It` s my choice of travel!
Good luck.
Pat
--
Pat Anderson
Old March 2nd, 2004, 09:31 AM
Hans-Georg Michna

Hans-Georg Michna wrote:

have a look at http://www.michna.com/kenya.htm for a start.

Perhaps I should mention that http://www.michna.com/kenya.htm is
not a commercial web site, but a private one, not made for
profit.

Hans-Georg

--
No mail, please.