Kenyan currency

Old January 15th, 2005, 09:10 PM
Bobby

Default Kenyan currency

What's the best way to get Kenyan currency?

I normally convert some UK pounds to foreign currency and then use my credit
card to get more cash (using a cash dispenser) when I am actually on
holiday. Is this feasible in Nairobi and Mombasa? Or should I use
travellers' cheques?

Cheers.

Bobby

Old January 17th, 2005, 05:45 AM
Gail

"Bobby"wrote
What's the best way to get Kenyan currency?

I normally convert some UK pounds to foreign currency and then use my
credit card to get more cash (using a cash dispenser) when I am actually
on holiday. Is this feasible in Nairobi and Mombasa? Or should I use
travellers' cheques?

In Nairobi you can use cash dispensers. There is one at the airport, and the
banks have them. You just want to be careful not to walk around with more
cash than you immediately need, and be discreet in handling it. Keep the
extra in your hotel safe.

Gail

Old January 17th, 2005, 02:48 PM
Tashi

get some KES at a currancy place in London..then use your ATM card to get
the rest at a bank machine.
Travellers cheques are a pain in the butt.

--
"When one realizes that life is worthless
he either commits suicide or travels. ~ Edward Dahlberg

Old January 17th, 2005, 06:42 PM
Hans-Georg Michna

On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 20:10:51 -0000, "Bobby"
wrote:

What's the best way to get Kenyan currency?

I normally convert some UK pounds to foreign currency and then use my credit
card to get more cash (using a cash dispenser) when I am actually on
holiday. Is this feasible in Nairobi and Mombasa? Or should I use
travellers' cheques?

Bobby,

use a Mastro (formerly ec) card on Barclays ATMs. A list of
these can be found in http://www.michna.com/kenya.htm.

Bring some cash and change some at the airport before you clear
customs. Consider that ATMs (even all of them at once) can be
out of order from time to time, so you want to be able to
survive a day or two without ATM access.

Most of the time they work just fine though.

Note also the little trick, mentioned on the web page, to get
KSh 40,000 at once, even though the ATMs appear to offer only
max. 20,000.

Hans-Georg

--
No mail, please.

Old January 17th, 2005, 08:39 PM
Bobby

Travellers cheques are a pain in the butt.

Why?