getting to mount kilimanjaro - CHEAPLY from Toronto

Old October 8th, 2004, 01:03 PM

Default getting to mount kilimanjaro - CHEAPLY from Toronto

Hi there everyone.

getting to mount kilimanjaro - CHEAPLY from Toronto

Next summer i was hoping to go to Tanzania or Kenya - whichever is closer or
easier to get to Mount kilimanjaro for a good climb to the top.

If anyone can point me, a slow witted twenty something year old in the right
direction - it would be much appreciated. From whatever preliminary info i
could gather - it makes more sense to get to Kenya's airport and somehow get
a tour to the mountain since the .
Dar-es-Salaam International Airport and Zanzibar International Airport seem
to be a bit further but at least i dont need to deal with the hassles of
customs.

Again - i apologize for being so clueless about these things - but i really
dont get to travel frequently. I am looking for any recommendations for the
cheapest flights available, etc.

Thanks again.

Old October 9th, 2004, 07:40 AM
Leah

Hi,

I actually just came back from my trip to Tanzania last week, also
from Toronto.

Since the flight is pretty pricey, it's worth investing some time in
shopping around for the best flight deal (e.g. Expedia, local travel
agencies), then go to Flight Centre and ask for a price quote. Flight
Centre has a lowest price guarantee. Try to see what kind of price
you get to get to Kilimanjaro Intl Airport (yes there is one), then
base yourself from Moshi--about 40min drive from the foothills of Kili
(smaller town than Arusha and, according to the locals, also safer).

There are MANY travel agencies in Moshi that lead expeditions to Kili,
and also to do safaris. I went with Trans-Kibo Travels and was very
pleased with the service and price I paid. Try to bargain the price
if you can. I can give you other tips on this topic also.

Which month(s) do you plan to go? Since you're planning to climb
Kili, I highly suggest that you take into account the climate during
the month of your climb, since weather is a HUGE factor during the
climb, particularly on summit night I think. Be prepared for wet
and/or cold weather when you're up in the mountain. It can be
unpredictable up there so you have to be prepared for anything.

IMHO, the most important items during my climb we
* good socks and hiking boots (you don't want blisters to plague you
along with * possible altitude sickness),
* warm socks for evenings (it's REALLY cold at night...I had 3
non-cotton sock layers on and it was STILL cold),
* warm sleeping bag (I had -20degC and had 2-3 layers on as well),
* hiking poles,
* lip salve (it's very dry and windy, so windburn/sunburn is very
likely),
* warm mitts and liners,
* warm hat
....Did I mention it is cold up there??

Take your time getting up on the mountain. I took 7 days (5days up,
1.5 days going down) and was fine (for the most part). Pace yourself
for the entire duration of the climb, so as to acclimatize properly.
Diamox (for mountain sickness) helped me a lot. And drink lots of
water during the climb. Try to "train" for the climb a few months in
advance, to build up your endurance and get your muscles used to the
long walks (summit day was 16 hours walking for me).

My most important tips: KEEP WARM and PACE YOURSELF SLOWLY, and
you have a better chance of reaching the summit. (The people I met
who did not reach summit were too cold or too sick to continue.)

Hopefully this helps. If you have any other questions, let me know.

Good luck!
Leah

Hi there everyone.

Old October 10th, 2004, 05:17 AM
ClimbHighSleepLow

I don't like to do shoutouts here, but since I want more people to
experience the wonders of Africa I will say that RATRAVEL in NY has
served me well for many years whenever I look for cheap fares to
Africa for friends, clients and family. 800 7880777. I suggest you
shop around a bit, then give them a call.

Climbing Kilimanjaro for cheap? - Please think carefully before
"negiotating" cheap climbs as was suggested. We have a saying he
splurge on the mountain and save money at the beach. First of all, it
is a dangerous mountain when your outfitter cuts corners trying to get
you to the summit for cheap. Secondly, many outfitters are working
very hard to try and stop porter abuse. Please help us.

Do shop around and go with an outfitter that fits your budget, but
don't climb at the expense of the porters who carry extra-heavy loads,
may be underpaid, and/or don't have proper mountain equipment (tents,
clothes, sleeping bags).

Moshi and Arusha have plenty of outfitters who will take good care of
you and your mountain team! Good luck and have a wonderful time on the
mountain. It is the experience of a lifetime.

Just a note about being cold in your sleeping bag - DON'T wear too
many layers when you go to sleep! Modern sacks need body heat to
create the warm cocoon around you (especially mummys). If you wear
more than thermals, your bag will not warm up and you will shiver all
night! Sleep with you headlamp nearby because going out to relieve
yourself in the middle of the night (common on Kili) is not easy when
you have to dress in the dark!

Eben
www.go-kili.com

(Leah) wrote in message . com...
[...]

Hi there everyone.

Old October 10th, 2004, 07:40 PM
Rydale

Hi

If you want some shots of the Rongai route (flew into Kilimanjaro airport),
I've got my diary up on www.tomalin.org/charles/tanzania/index/html

The main flights are in from Amsterdam airport, on KLM.

Charles
Natural History Photography
www.wildviews.com

om...

(Leah) wrote in message

[...]

"G" wrote in message

m...
Hi there everyone.

Old October 14th, 2004, 12:35 AM
Not the Karl Orff

In article ,
"G" wrote:

Hi there everyone.

getting to mount kilimanjaro - CHEAPLY from Toronto

Next summer i was hoping to go to Tanzania or Kenya - whichever is closer or
easier to get to Mount kilimanjaro for a good climb to the top.

If anyone can point me, a slow witted twenty something year old in the right
direction - it would be much appreciated. From whatever preliminary info i
could gather - it makes more sense to get to Kenya's airport and somehow get
a tour to the mountain since the .
Dar-es-Salaam International Airport and Zanzibar International Airport seem
to be a bit further but at least i dont need to deal with the hassles of
customs.

Try KLM (through Northwest). one stop/change of planes Toronto (YYZ) to
Kilimanjaro (JRO) - the airport for Arusha and where Kilimanjaro hikes
are based out of - via AMS (AMsterdam). BA and LH(?) might also offer
good fares via Kenya though that would be another visa and visa fee (CAD
74).
Old October 14th, 2004, 01:53 PM
Shiraz Shariff

Hi G

There are 2 airlines which fly to the Kilimanjaro International
Airport (KIA). You can use KLM (Toronto-Amsterdam-KIA) or Etheopina
Airlines (Toronto-London-KIA). My preference is KLM. I used a local
travel agent called Gala Travels in Toronto to book.

Good luck.

Shiraz Shariff
www.alltanzania.com

Hi there everyone.