Overstaying Visa in Thailand?

Old January 27th, 2004, 11:19 AM
Biker

Default Overstaying Visa in Thailand?

Hi all....just got back from Thailand after arriving there on the 23rd
of december,and flying out on the 21st back to Oz....but when I went
through the departure gates at Bkk the official fellow directed me to a
desk I got a stamp in my passport for overstaying one day past the 30
days allowed.

my maths must be rusty,but i count that I left Thailand
BEFORE the 30th day had ended...so what gives with the stamp?
Hope it
doesn't affect my further travels there.....and I wish I could read thai
to see what the stamp says!!!

Anyone else experienced this??

Dick

Old January 27th, 2004, 06:14 PM
Sjoerd

"Biker" schreef in bericht

Hi all....just got back from Thailand after arriving there on the 23rd
of december,and flying out on the 21st back to Oz....but when I went
through the departure gates at Bkk the official fellow directed me to a
desk I got a stamp in my passport for overstaying one day past the 30
days allowed.

my maths must be rusty,but i count that I left Thailand
BEFORE the 30th day had ended...so what gives with the stamp?
Hope it
doesn't affect my further travels there.....and I wish I could read thai
to see what the stamp says!!!

Unless they changed the Thai immigration stamps in the last 45 days, they
are in English. It is indeed strange that you were directed to another desk,
because when you enter Thailand in a 31-day month (December) you should be
able to stay until the same day -/- 2 in the next month, so in your case 23
December - 21 January. For examples of Thai stamps see:
http://www.codekey.co.uk/travelog/passport/1.jpg

Sjoerd

Old January 27th, 2004, 06:43 PM
XOR

Biker wrote in message ...
Hi all....just got back from Thailand after arriving there on the 23rd
of december,and flying out on the 21st back to Oz....but when I went
through the departure gates at Bkk the official fellow directed me to a
desk I got a stamp in my passport for overstaying one day past the 30
days allowed.

my maths must be rusty,but i count that I left Thailand
BEFORE the 30th day had ended...so what gives with the stamp?
Hope it
doesn't affect my further travels there.....and I wish I could read thai
to see what the stamp says!!!

Anyone else experienced this??

Dick

Does appear to be a day off. On your depature card - and I think in
the passport as well, they stamp it with the day you must leave by
when you arrive. So should be easy to check if that was consistent.

But no, should be no problem with return. The first time I was there I
overstayed 5 days - it was easier, and cheaper, to pay the fine than
to try to renew my visa. I've since been back a few more times (many
more times if you count all the border crossings to Burma to renew my
visa) with zero problems.
Old January 27th, 2004, 11:43 PM
Tchiowa

Biker wrote in message ...
Hi all....just got back from Thailand after arriving there on the 23rd
of december,and flying out on the 21st back to Oz....but when I went
through the departure gates at Bkk the official fellow directed me to a
desk I got a stamp in my passport for overstaying one day past the 30
days allowed.

my maths must be rusty,but i count that I left Thailand
BEFORE the 30th day had ended...so what gives with the stamp?
Hope it
doesn't affect my further travels there.....and I wish I could read thai
to see what the stamp says!!!

You don't have to read Thai. The date that your permission to enter
expires is clearly stamped in your passport.

The stamp will have no effect on future travel. As long as you don't
overstay by more than 5 days, Immigration will put in that stamp, fine
you 200 baht per day (forgiven if it's only 1 day) and that ends it.
Longer than that they react quite differently.

In fact, the Immigration office in Suan Plu as advised me on more than
one occasion not to extend my PTE if I'm overstaying less than 5 days.
Easier and cheaper to pay on the way out.
Old January 28th, 2004, 06:50 AM
Michael Christoffersen

"Sjoerd" wrote in message

Unless they changed the Thai immigration stamps in the last 45 days, they
are in English. It is indeed strange that you were directed to another

desk,
because when you enter Thailand in a 31-day month (December) you should be
able to stay until the same day -/- 2 in the next month, so in your case

23
December - 21 January. For examples of Thai stamps see:
http://www.codekey.co.uk/travelog/passport/1.jpg

Sjoerd

Hi Sjoerd,

I think Biker is referring to the stamp he got in his passport due to his
overstay, that is in thai. But that just basically specifies the fine by
mentioning the days of arrival/departure, the days of overstay and the fine.

I have 4-5 of these stamps in my passport, I could have avoided them, but I
had a similar experience as Tchiowa. The immigration in Phuket suggested
than instead of extending my visa, I could just overstay a few days and pay
the fine at the airport terminal. It was never an issue.

Cheers
Hua Nguu

Old January 28th, 2004, 08:03 AM
Biker

I think Biker is referring to the stamp he got in his
passport due to his
overstay, that is in thai. But that just
basically specifies the fine by
mentioning the days of
arrival/departure, the days of overstay and the fine.

ICheers

Hua Nguu

Yup...that's the one.......

Thanks for all your
replies...I'm happy that that little stamp won't affect my future
travels!

Dick

Old January 28th, 2004, 12:56 PM
thegoons

Can you just "lose" your passport and get a new one (with no stamps inside),
or is Thai-Land modernized and record the overstay data on computer anyway?