Best Unknown Places

Old April 21st, 2006, 07:03 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Default Best Unknown Places

I'm travelling to London soon and want to visit more than just the
tourist sites. Any ideas for the best unknown places such as pubs,
musuems, or parks in London?
Thanks.
Kacey

Old April 21st, 2006, 07:27 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

On 21 Apr 2006 11:03:35 -0700, "Kacey" wrote:

I'm travelling to London soon and want to visit more than just the
tourist sites. Any ideas for the best unknown places such as pubs,
musuems, or parks in London?
Thanks.
Kacey

You could try some of the "ethnic neighbourhoods". One that springs to
mind is Southall (suburban train from Paddington station) and it's
quite a way out of town (near Heathrow Airport in fact).

The bilingual station signs (also written in Punjabi) show you you've
arrived.

http://ms.wikipedia.org/upload/thumb...ation_sign.jpg

Loads of restaurants, cafés and shops selling food and goods from the
Indian subcontinent. Just wander into a food shop and smell the
spices!

(Maybe an urban legend - but the story is that a building company in
Southall had an advert which said: "You've tried the cowboys - now try
the Indians"!)

Keith, Bristol, UK

Email: usenet[dot]20[dot]keefy[at]spamgourmet[dot]com

This is a sp*mtrap, but I will get your mail!

Old April 21st, 2006, 07:39 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

"I'm travelling to London soon and want to visit more than just the
tourist sites. Any ideas for the best unknown places such as pubs,
musuems, or parks in London?"

Sir John Soane's Museum
Highgate Cemetary
Brixton Market
Clerkenwell

Old April 21st, 2006, 09:14 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

"Iceman" wrote in message
oups.com...
"I'm travelling to London soon and want to visit more than just the
tourist sites. Any ideas for the best unknown places such as pubs,
musuems, or parks in London?"

Sir John Soane's Museum
Highgate Cemetary
Brixton Market
Clerkenwell

Wimbledon Village and Common for the nearest rural feel to Big Ben - and, if
you enjoyed it, followed by Richmond Park next door!

Surreyman

Old April 22nd, 2006, 10:22 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

On Fri, 21 Apr 2006 20:14:29 GMT, "a.spencer3"
wrote:

"Iceman" wrote in message
roups.com...
"I'm travelling to London soon and want to visit more than just the
tourist sites. Any ideas for the best unknown places such as pubs,
musuems, or parks in London?"

Sir John Soane's Museum

That's well worth a visit for the sheer eccentricity that it conveys.

Highgate Cemetary

Lots of attractive parkland around Highgate; it gets crowded so is
hardly unknown but you'll find many locals and few tourists there.
Kenwood House and the area immediately around it is run by English
Heritage and is very pleasant. Highgate Wood is a very pleasant and
well kept area run by the City of London corporation. Both have good
(though not cheap) cafés. The Pavilion café in Highgate Wood had jazz
on Thursday evenings last summer: not sure whether they're doing the
same this year.

Brixton Market

There are quite a few markets worth a visit. If you're in London on a
Sunday morning, Columbia Road flower market in Bethnal Green is worth
a trip. Nearby is the Geffrye Museum (which is mostly about domestic
interiors) which is one of my favourite museums in London.

Clerkenwell

Wimbledon Village and Common for the nearest rural feel to Big Ben

Wimbledon Common also has a good choice of pubs: it's a while since
I've been there but the Fox and Grapes at the corner of West Side and
Camp Road was very pleasant. Nearby is Cannizaro Park, a small-ish
formal park to the side of Wimbledon Common: look for the statue of
Haile Selassie who lived in Wimbledon.

Strand-on-the-Green, near Chiswick, is a great place for pubs: three
in a row along the river. Walking along the river from there to
Hammersmith (or vice versa) would be a great way to spend an
afternoon.

- and, if
you enjoyed it, followed by Richmond Park next door!

There's a spot very close to Richmond Gate in Richmond Park where you
can see St Pauls (on a clear day) through a gap in the trees.

That's just a few for the time being

Martin

Old April 22nd, 2006, 10:31 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

wrote:

Wimbledon Village and Common for the nearest rural feel to Big Ben

Erm, Interesting definition of Rural feel.

The common's alright - the windmill cafe always too smokey, the golf
course, the 4x4's and the very heavily warn paths never make it seem
very rural to me - it's easier to get a bit of an I've escaped feeling
in Richmond Park I reckon, but if you real want rural get away
properly!

The Village itself is definately not rural! it's an incredibly posh
and unfriendly place with massively overpriced food and drink. It's
not too bad when it gets invaded after the tennis, but I wouldn't
direct a tourist there - the river locations Martin mentions are a
much nicer place to go.

Jim.
Old April 22nd, 2006, 10:47 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

wrote:

Wimbledon Common also has a good choice of pubs: it's a while since
I've been there but the Fox and Grapes at the corner of West Side and
Camp Road was very pleasant. Nearby is Cannizaro Park, a small-ish
formal park to the side of Wimbledon Common: look for the statue of
Haile Selassie who lived in Wimbledon.

The Fox is pleasant.
But walk from there south along the edge of the Common towards King's
College and you'll find a great little green with the Hand In Hand and
Crooked Billet, both famous for their choice of real ales.
(Incidentally, I went to Camp Road School!).

Surreyman

Old April 22nd, 2006, 10:50 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

wrote:

Wimbledon Village and Common for the nearest rural feel to Big Ben

Erm, Interesting definition of Rural feel.

The common's alright - the windmill cafe always too smokey, the golf
course, the 4x4's and the very heavily warn paths never make it seem
very rural to me - it's easier to get a bit of an I've escaped feeling
in Richmond Park I reckon, but if you real want rural get away
properly!

The Village itself is definately not rural! it's an incredibly posh
and unfriendly place with massively overpriced food and drink. It's
not too bad when it gets invaded after the tennis, but I wouldn't
direct a tourist there - the river locations Martin mentions are a
much nicer place to go.

Well, it's far better than bloody Battersea or Balham!

Surreyman

Old April 22nd, 2006, 05:29 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

There is a hindu temple very interesting.

You can see more information about it in
http://www.mandir.org/infogallery/index.htm

Carlos Alvarez.