El Al Ticket Purchase Q's

Old October 14th, 2003, 10:55 PM
S.A.n

Default El Al Ticket Purchase Q's

Hi all,
I am trying to purchase 4 adult F class tickets over their website,
however it will not let me. Travelocity, expedia, and Delta.com (codeshare)
won't let me either. I also tried Business class but to no avail. Now this
flight is in March so I know it can't already be sold out... Any thoughts on
this? Could it be security related?

Thanks!
SMA

Old October 15th, 2003, 02:25 AM

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 17:55:55 -0400, "S.A.n" wrote:

Hi all,
I am trying to purchase 4 adult F class tickets over their website,
however it will not let me. Travelocity, expedia, and Delta.com (codeshare)
won't let me either. I also tried Business class but to no avail. Now this
flight is in March so I know it can't already be sold out..

.. Any thoughts on this? Could it be security related?

I guess one way to find out is to call their reservations number, or
have your travel agent book the tickets.

--

Traveler
Old October 15th, 2003, 12:04 PM
S.A.n

When I click to buy 4 adult F or C class tickets it says "Maximum 2
passenger allowed for this fare type"... Expedia and Travelocity just list
there being only 2 F or C class seats available.

I suppose its for security?

"Hilary" wrote in message
I am trying to purchase 4 adult F class tickets over their website,
however it will not let me. Travelocity, expedia, and Delta.com

(codeshare)
won't let me either. I also tried Business class but to no avail. Now

this
flight is in March so I know it can't already be sold out... Any

thoughts on
this? Could it be security related?

Won't offer you seats or won't let you complete the booking?
Did you call LY to ask what the problem is?

Hilary

Old October 15th, 2003, 05:27 PM
mrtravel

S.A.n wrote:
When I click to buy 4 adult F or C class tickets it says "Maximum 2
passenger allowed for this fare type"... Expedia and Travelocity just list
there being only 2 F or C class seats available.

I suppose its for security?

Sounds like it prevents too many seats being held for people that don't
show up. So, he should be ok by making two bookings of two people each,
or booking 4 economy seats

Old October 15th, 2003, 05:54 PM
Graham Harrison

Whilst this might be something to do with security I think the answer may be
more prosaic. Before the advent of computers much selling of interline
seats was on a sell and report basis. Basically, an airline would say to
its' peers "you can sell so many seats on my flights simply by telling me
what you've done". At a point before all seats were sold the airline would
send out a message saying "the flight isn't full yet but I'm suspending the
free sell facility, please request seats". Typically you could sell up to
2 first and 4 economy seats in any one transaction. I say "interline" I
can remember BEA (a British Airways predecessor) operating the same system
with some of its' outstations when they first implemented a computer. Also
some computers (Panamac was a good example) never actually showed how many
seats were available but relied on codes like "A" for available and "C" for
closed. Behind that there was simply a sophisticated form of sell and
report.

Even today, there are airline systems which don't show specific numbers of
seats on availability screens, they still only show "A", "C" and the like.
Even those that do show numbers never show more than 9 (because 10 and more
is a "group"). Many show 7, 5 or less even when the flight is empty.

So, I think it may simply down to the technology that El Al uses to control
its' inventory. Given their financial situation I would not be at all
surprised if their reservations inventory system is not the most
sophisticated.

--
*****
*****The "return to" address embedded in this mail is wrong as an antispam