Dunkin' Donuts by the Trevi Fountain?

Old August 25th, 2004, 09:12 PM
Mxsmanic

Roman Werpachowski writes:

On the Wed, 25 Aug 2004 01:36:24 +0200, Mxsmanic wrote:
Neither are huge net exporters of food, and they occasionally have
trouble keeping themselves fed. And this will get worse, unless they
control their populations.

Let's spark a nuclear war in the region and it will solve itself.

It will solve itself in any case; nature always balances the books. But
it's a lot less unpleasant if human beings take action to prevent nature
from intervening.

Old August 25th, 2004, 11:05 PM
devil

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 18:19:14 +0100, Padraig Breathnach wrote:

devil wrote:

Per capita on the basis of overall French population perhaps. Per capita
based upon employment in farming, I doubt. Nowhere near the same league
as for instance Canada, I would say.

(Yes some farms are efficient. But many are not at all.)

It's arguable if output per worker is the best measure of
productivity. Output per hectare is another good productivity index.

Depends. Whether land is scarce, or whether labor is expensive.

Anyway, both are measures, and the most relevant one clearly depends upon
the context. If in the US you'll try maximizing the ouput/worker at the
expense of output per area. If you are in China you'll obviously try to
maximize the output per area.

Makes sense to plant rice in irrigated paddies in China. Makes no sense
in Brazil, although some people I knew did at some point.

Old August 26th, 2004, 12:01 AM
JohnT

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
Roman Werpachowski writes:

In Africa. Farming fields. In tends to be nasty, tending a mined field. Them
cows seem to blow up.

So how does one grow coffee in these fields?

I suspect with great difficulty.

JohnT

Old August 26th, 2004, 05:34 AM
poldy

In article ,
Roman Werpachowski "r o m a wrote:

That may happen. Some companies are looking to privatize water in some
markets in the world. Some estimate that a billion people don't have
access to potable water.

They'll be the first against the wall when the revolution comes.

People talk less and less about revolution than they used to.

The Soviet people revolted to get nicer stuff, which meant becoming a
free market.

The Chinese seemed to have given up too. I read somewhere that some of
the Tienamen Square leaders have gone on to law or business school.