SA2004 New York to Orlando: Washington 95 or 295?

Old April 1st, 2004, 08:32 PM
Christian

Default SA2004 New York to Orlando: Washington 95 or 295?

Hi all,

I try to setup the route from New York to Orlando using Street Atlas
2004. Between Baltimore and Washington, the map Street Atlas
application is choosing 295 as route and go to South of Washington
When I did the same think using Microsoft Streets&Trips or Mapquest
(web), the route was set 95, at North to Washington, and not 295.
I am not familiar with these routes.
Do you know why SA2004 suggest me to use 295? Even I do a via route on
95, the application go back to 295 at next exit.

Thanks a lot,
Chris
Old April 2nd, 2004, 02:51 AM
J-Man

If I recall correctly, the Baltimore-Washington Parkway is signed as
Maryland State Route 295 from Baltimore to near BWI Airport; after that it
is the B-W Parkway (owned and maintaned by the National Park Service) until
you get inside the Capital Beltway (which at that point is signed
I-95/I-495), at which point it eventually becomes Interstate 295, and then
connects (via some confusingly signed highways) back to the Beltway just
before the Woodrow Wilson Bridge across the Potomac into Virginia.

I-95 south of Baltimore eventually becomes the eastern side of the Capital
Beltway (going south, or clockwise, the Inner Loop).

Using either route, once you cross the Wilson Bridge (I-95/I-495) get about
10 miles into Virginia, you exit to I-95 south towards Richmond.

You can blame all this confusion on the fact that, many years ago, local
opposition prevented the completion of I-95 as a direct route south through
the District, connecting up what is now I-395 (Shirley Highway) through
Virginia.

If you're not familiar with the area, it's probably best to just stay on
I-95 the whole way (although it does make you take the Beltway for quite a
few miles.)

Old April 13th, 2004, 09:40 PM
Russell Patterson

Actually, we in Maryland consider anything east of the bay to be on
the "Eastern Shore" of the Bay. Therefore, the Eastern Shore extends
all the way up to the point at which I-95 crosses into Delaware.

Semantics!

Russ
Kent Island
A part of the Eastern Shore that is entirely within the confines of
the Chesapeake Bay, but since it is on the eastern end of the Bay
Bridge, it is considered Eastern Shore.

On 13 Apr 2004 13:04:31 GMT, bitbucket wrote:

On Fri, 02 Apr 2004 23:04:07 -0500, Russell Patterson wrote:

| any time on I-95 you will appreciate US 301 on Maryland's Eastern
| shore. If you are coming to the split where US50 continues west and

minor nit: this is NOT Maryland's Eastern Shore. this route carries you west
of the Chesapeake Bay, not east. you are driving through part of Southern
Maryland, ie, Charles County mostly.

respond here or email responses to
Old April 14th, 2004, 05:20 PM
Russell Patterson

On 13 Apr 2004 23:29:12 GMT, bitbucket wrote:

On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 16:40:29 -0400, Russell Patterson wrote:
| Actually, we in Maryland consider anything east of the bay to be on
| the "Eastern Shore" of the Bay. Therefore, the Eastern Shore extends
| all the way up to the point at which I-95 crosses into Delaware.

no argument there, but that is just such an ugly part of MD. ugh! to call
_that_ visiting the Eastern Shore is cheating yourself out of seeing a great
part of the state.

I don't see where it is an ugly part of Maryland. If you take I-95
through Baltimore you'll be so busy watching out for other vehicles
you won't be able to see anything. Not that there is anything worth
seeing that way. Granted it is pretty flat and open along 301 from
Delaware to US50, but in my opinion that is somewhat nice after
travelling through NJ on the turnpike! After all, if you are merely
passing through, what more do you want than open roads and little or
no traffic.

Russ
respond here or email responses to