Two people, three coach seats?

Old November 5th, 2003, 06:13 PM
AES/newspost

Default Two people, three coach seats?

My wife and I are thinking about the "two passengers, three coach seats"
gambit for a long trip next year. Has anyone tried this? Any
unforeseen headaches?

Can you book, i.e. purchase, all three seats on the web, either on the
airline's web site or one of the travel booking sites? How does the
third seat get booked? (Passenger = A. N. Onymous?)

(The specific airline for our trip could be United.)

Thanks for any info.
Old November 5th, 2003, 06:30 PM
Mike Cordelli

With absolutely no guarantee at all that the three seats will all be
together (what if at the last minute they have to reassign them to all
different rows) this may backfire totally. You are probably better off
calling and seeing what the options are.

Old November 5th, 2003, 08:08 PM
mrtravel

AES/newspost wrote:
My wife and I are thinking about the "two passengers, three coach seats"
gambit for a long trip next year. Has anyone tried this? Any
unforeseen headaches?

Can you book, i.e. purchase, all three seats on the web, either on the
airline's web site or one of the travel booking sites? How does the
third seat get booked? (Passenger = A. N. Onymous?)

(The specific airline for our trip could be United.)

You should call UA and ask them how you should book the extra seat.

Old November 5th, 2003, 08:49 PM
Thomas Smith

You don't pay for the middle seat. You reserve the window seat and the
aisle seat. Since no one in their right mind would intestinally book the
middle seat, this seat will usually go unsold except on very full flights.
If it doesn't work out, then you can ask/beg/plead/threaten the person in
the middle seat to trade with you. Usually, you won't have to do much more
than ask, since there is a 99% chance they are traveling alone anyway and
they would be thrilled to get out of middle seat prison.

I heard a story where a woman booked an El-Al flight alone. She wore a very
revealing outfit on her flight. She was placed in a row with an orthodox
Jew who couldn't look at her so he asked to be moved giving the woman the
entire row to herself. I wouldn't recommend doing this since on most
airlines, this will likely attract companions rather then repel them. ;-)

Tom Smith

Old November 5th, 2003, 09:52 PM
Peter L

"Thomas Smith" -NO-SPAM wrote in message
[...]

Bring a toddler or an infant. That'll repel 99% of the posters on this ng.

Tom Smith

Old November 5th, 2003, 10:49 PM
mrtravel

Thomas Smith wrote:
You don't pay for the middle seat. You reserve the window seat and the
aisle seat. Since no one in their right mind would intestinally book the
middle seat, this seat will usually go unsold except on very full flights.

There are a lot of flights where this would be a problem.
If you really want the space, buy it

Old November 5th, 2003, 10:51 PM
freeda

My wife and I are thinking about the "two passengers, three coach seats"
gambit for a long trip next year. Has anyone tried this? Any
unforeseen headaches?

Can you book, i.e. purchase, all three seats on the web, either on the
airline's web site or one of the travel booking sites? How does the
third seat get booked? (Passenger = A. N. Onymous?)

I think it has to be booked by an agent, either a travel agent or one of
the airline's own agents, as each airline tends to have a specific
method for booking extra seats for passengers/valuable
luggage/infants/cellos... If you book it incorrectly then you may find
you have 2 seats on opposite sides of the aircraft

You most probably need to book well in advance, I usually book either
through ebookers or my local consolodator, and the cheapy fares they offer
don't usually allow me to reserve seats...
However, a quick call to the airline after I have a reservation No, usually
sorts things out..
In conclusion, why not give the airlines a quick ring???

Old November 5th, 2003, 10:59 PM
mrtravel

freeda wrote:

You most probably need to book well in advance, I usually book either
through ebookers or my local consolodator, and the cheapy fares they offer
don't usually allow me to reserve seats...
However, a quick call to the airline after I have a reservation No, usually
sorts things out..

WHat name do you use on the extra seat?

Old November 7th, 2003, 07:45 PM
Reef Fish

mrtravel wrote in message om...
freeda wrote:

You most probably need to book well in advance, I usually book either
through ebookers or my local consolodator, and the cheapy fares they offer
don't usually allow me to reserve seats...
However, a quick call to the airline after I have a reservation No, usually
sorts things out..

WHat name do you use on the extra seat?

Harvey? :-)

http://www.tigersweat.com/movies/harvey/