Fifty years ago today -

Old August 13th, 2011, 01:58 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tom P[_6_]

Default Fifty years ago today -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-14514916

Old August 13th, 2011, 05:02 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Hatunen

On Sat, 13 Aug 2011 14:58:38 +0200, Tom P wrote:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-14514916

I was in the US Army when the wall started going up. Although I was only
an illustrator at the Fort Knox US Army Armor School Field Printing
Plant, we were still placed on alert.

--
Dave Hatunen: Free Baja Arizona
Old August 13th, 2011, 05:20 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Markku Grönroos[_2_]

13.8.2011 19:02, David Hatunen kirjoitti:
On Sat, 13 Aug 2011 14:58:38 +0200, Tom P wrote:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-14514916

I was in the US Army when the wall started going up. Although I was only
an illustrator at the Fort Knox US Army Armor School Field Printing
Plant, we were still placed on alert.

Ah! An American tank and a Soviet tank nosing each others on
Friedrichstrasse. This was something.
Old August 13th, 2011, 06:09 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Hatunen

On Sat, 13 Aug 2011 19:20:57 +0300, Markku Grönroos wrote:

13.8.2011 19:02, David Hatunen kirjoitti:
On Sat, 13 Aug 2011 14:58:38 +0200, Tom P wrote:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-14514916

I was in the US Army when the wall started going up. Although I was
only an illustrator at the Fort Knox US Army Armor School Field
Printing Plant, we were still placed on alert.

Ah! An American tank and a Soviet tank nosing each others on
Friedrichstrasse. This was something.

At the Armor School they seemed obsessed with the Fulda Gap.

--
Dave Hatunen: Free Baja Arizona
Old August 13th, 2011, 11:01 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tom P[_6_]

On 08/13/2011 06:02 PM, David Hatunen wrote:
On Sat, 13 Aug 2011 14:58:38 +0200, Tom P wrote:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-14514916

I was in the US Army when the wall started going up. Although I was only
an illustrator at the Fort Knox US Army Armor School Field Printing
Plant, we were still placed on alert.

Wow, that is a long time ago. I was there when the wall re-opened, IIRC
shortly before Christmas 1989.
Old August 14th, 2011, 02:41 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Erilar

Tom P wrote:
On 08/13/2011 06:02 PM, David Hatunen wrote:
On Sat, 13 Aug 2011 14:58:38 +0200, Tom P wrote:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-14514916

I was in the US Army when the wall started going up. Although I was only
an illustrator at the Fort Knox US Army Armor School Field Printing
Plant, we were still placed on alert.

Wow, that is a long time ago. I was there when the wall re-opened, IIRC
shortly before Christmas 1989.

Trying to remember coverage, I just realized that was at a time when I had
no TVat all!
--
Erilar, biblioholic medievalist with iPad
Old August 14th, 2011, 06:26 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Hatunen

On Sun, 14 Aug 2011 01:41:22 +0000, Erilar wrote:

Tom P wrote:
On 08/13/2011 06:02 PM, David Hatunen wrote:
On Sat, 13 Aug 2011 14:58:38 +0200, Tom P wrote:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-14514916

I was in the US Army when the wall started going up. Although I was
only an illustrator at the Fort Knox US Army Armor School Field
Printing Plant, we were still placed on alert.

Wow, that is a long time ago. I was there when the wall re-opened, IIRC
shortly before Christmas 1989.

Trying to remember coverage, I just realized that was at a time when I
had no TVat all!

When I watched the TV and saw the people on the top of The Wall, knocking
off chunks, and people passing freely through it, I got tears in my eyes.
My teenage daughters couldn't understand why.

--
Dave Hatunen: Free Baja Arizona
Old August 14th, 2011, 06:46 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Markku Grönroos[_2_]

14.8.2011 20:26, David Hatunen kirjoitti:

When I watched the TV and saw the people on the top of The Wall, knocking
off chunks, and people passing freely through it, I got tears in my eyes.
My teenage daughters couldn't understand why.

I was in East Germany in late summer 1989. When I had left Leipzig, only
a couple of weeks later anti government (anti communist) demonstrations
gathered hundreds of thousands of people each. When plugs start
sparking, things may start evolving at revolutionary speed.

I hope Herr Assad of Syria will witness this. Hopefully he has a
daughter living in Chile. I believe Chile is a nice country for exiles.
Same sort of Don Quixote lives in Libya and no doubt in many other
countries as well.
Old August 14th, 2011, 06:59 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Erilar

Erilar wrote:
Tom P wrote:
On 08/13/2011 06:02 PM, David Hatunen wrote:
On Sat, 13 Aug 2011 14:58:38 +0200, Tom P wrote:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-14514916

I was in the US Army when the wall started going up. Although I was only
an illustrator at the Fort Knox US Army Armor School Field Printing
Plant, we were still placed on alert.

Wow, that is a long time ago. I was there when the wall re-opened, IIRC
shortly before Christmas 1989.

Trying to remember coverage, I just realized that was at a time when I had
no TVat all!

ps. no TV in 1961, that is. Yes, I watched in 1989

--
Erilar, biblioholic medievalist with iPad
Old August 14th, 2011, 08:02 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne, _the_ chancellor[_2_]

Markku Grönroos wrote:

14.8.2011 20:26, David Hatunen kirjoitti:

When I watched the TV and saw the people on the top of The Wall, knocking
off chunks, and people passing freely through it, I got tears in my eyes.
My teenage daughters couldn't understand why.

I was in East Germany in late summer 1989. When I had left Leipzig, only
a couple of weeks later anti government (anti communist) demonstrations
gathered hundreds of thousands of people each. When plugs start
sparking, things may start evolving at revolutionary speed.

When will they come for the hebe faggots?

--
(*) of the royal duchy of city south and deansgate
www.davidhorne.net (email address on website)