body scanners in European airports

Old September 4th, 2011, 09:09 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Runge 131

Default body scanners in European airports

1950's memories by martin and right on topic.

"Martin" a écrit dans le message de groupe de discussion :

On 2011-09-02 02:47:21 -0500, Tom P said:

Now this would be good news, in that there is a direct flight from
Dallas/Fort Worth near where I live, to Frankfurt.

If I can confirm the situation in Athens, I might make a
DFW-Frankfurt-Athens travel. Hmm! Maybe I gave up hope too soon!

Plans to introduce scanners in the present form at German airports
have now been abandoned.
The announcement was made this week by the Ministry of Interior. The
tests showed a false alarm rate of 54%.
http://tinyurl.com/454csr3

Spectacular news. Give that, even if I cannot use the Athens airport,
it's just a really really long drive from Frankfurt to Brindisi, for the
ferry the next morning.

You want to take a rentacar all the way from Frankfurt on a ferry to
Greece?

It's some time off my trip, but do-able. I'm
concerned about driving 11 hours with a hour jet-lag -- but my point is
valid. At worse I could stay in Mittenwald on the Austrian border again.
That's a nice little town, by the way.

I wouldn't recommend driving too far straight after a night flight from
America to Europe.

We tried to drive from Mebourne to Adelaide after arriving on a night
flight from KA. Even taking it in turns driving we couldn't stay
awake. We gave up about 50 miles from Adelaide. At that time the roads
were empty once you got out of Melbourne. I wouldn't dream of ever
doing it again.
--

Martin

Old September 4th, 2011, 09:32 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Markku Grönroos[_2_]

On 2011-09-03 06:38:17 -0500, Martin said:

On Sat, 03 Sep 2011 11:30:17 +0100, William Black
wrote:

Most of them don't actually have an immigration department and it's
just
cops doing a hitch checking passports.

In many places they don't speak or read any language but their own.

Like in UK?

Actually I've founds the security scrutiny in the UK (Great Britain,
rather) to be the most thorough, anywhere

And lots of people who speak various languages.

One of my aunts lived in Sweden and she visited London in a Swedish
tourist group in 1970's. One of the tourists was annoyed to find out
that none of the staff in the Harrods department store spoke Swedish.
Old September 4th, 2011, 09:43 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
William Black[_2_]

wrote:

Most of them don't actually have an immigration department and it's
just
cops doing a hitch checking passports.

In many places they don't speak or read any language but their own.

Like in UK?

Actually I've founds the security scrutiny in the UK (Great Britain,
rather) to be the most thorough, anywhere

And lots of people who speak various languages.

One of my aunts lived in Sweden and she visited London in a Swedish
tourist group in 1970's. One of the tourists was annoyed to find out
that none of the staff in the Harrods department store spoke Swedish.

That's unusual with a high profile store like Harrods.

However Swedish isn't a language that's experienced very often in the UK.

It's not like it's Hindi or Urdu or Farsi or Arabic or Polish or
Bulgarian or any other language that you hear every day in London.

--
William Black

Free men have open minds
If you want loyalty, buy a dog...
Old September 4th, 2011, 09:45 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
William Black[_2_]

wrote:

Most of them don't actually have an immigration department and it's just
cops doing a hitch checking passports.

In many places they don't speak or read any language but their own.

Like in UK?

Actually I've founds the security scrutiny in the UK (Great Britain,
rather) to be the most thorough, anywhere

I can't argue with that. Except vehicle searches done by contractors
at at least one ferry port are a farce.

That has a great deal to do with the difficulty of sinking ships
compared to the ease with which you can crash an aircraft.

Nobody ever considered stopping the use of metal cutlery on ships.

--
William Black

Free men have open minds
If you want loyalty, buy a dog...
Old September 4th, 2011, 12:04 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
JohnT[_8_]

wrote:

Most of them don't actually have an immigration department and it's
just
cops doing a hitch checking passports.

In many places they don't speak or read any language but their own.

Like in UK?

Actually I've founds the security scrutiny in the UK (Great Britain,
rather) to be the most thorough, anywhere

And lots of people who speak various languages.

One of my aunts lived in Sweden and she visited London in a Swedish
tourist group in 1970's. One of the tourists was annoyed to find out
that none of the staff in the Harrods department store spoke Swedish.

Standards fell after the current owner took over Harrods.

Surely they couldn't fall any further? Mr Al Fayeed ran H A Rrods into the
ground. He was, of course, still upset that the Coroner had ruled that the
Duke of Edinburgh hadn't killed Dodi and St. Diana but eventually he just
about ran out of money and had to sell in 2010 to Qatar Holdings - who also
hold a significant stake in VW Motors Group and who own Mirimax Films and
have 70 per cent of PSG football club. I haven't been to Knightsbridge
recently but doubt very much whether the Store is worse than when it was
Egyptian owned.
--
JohnT

Old September 4th, 2011, 12:17 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
William Black[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

The point about Mr Fayed (the 'al' is assumed) is that while he is as
mad as a badger and a deeply unpleasant and foul mouthed man, he is an
excellent grocer.

Qatar holdings isn't...

--
William Black

Free men have open minds
If you want loyalty, buy a dog...
Old September 4th, 2011, 12:19 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
William Black[_2_]

On 04/09/11 12:07, Martin wrote:

I haven't been keeping up at the back. I thought Al Fayeed still owned
it.

Been gone for over a year now.

--
William Black

Free men have open minds
If you want loyalty, buy a dog...
Old September 4th, 2011, 05:30 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Hatunen

Default Annoying Brats

On Sun, 04 Sep 2011 09:17:12 +0300, Markku Grönroos wrote:

4.9.2011 4:53, Dan Stephenson kirjoitti:

I would also recommend getting a private cabin if you can afford it. I
have HAD IT with Screaming Children Hell on ferries!! arhhh!

Yes. Children are the worst kind of beasts father to Jesus Nazareth ever
created. Damn them!

On the other hand, Jesus of Nazareth did say, "Suffer the little
children..."

--
Dave Hatunen: Free Baja Arizona