Amazon - Family Adventure

Old October 6th, 2003, 05:34 PM
Jsananda

Default Amazon - Family Adventure

Family Explores the Amazonas Rain Forest
By RICK SAMMON (Associated Press)

The Ariau Amazon Towers Hotel
------
http://www.ariauamazontowers.com/family-article.htm

The Ariau is perhaps the most interesting place we've stayed on the planet.
Built entirely on long stilts (so the rooms don't flood during the height of
the rainy season), the Ariau is a complex of circular towers that house guest
rooms, meeting rooms and dining areas. One of the main attractions - for kids,
anyway - are dozens of spider and squirrel monkeys that literally hang out -
morning, noon and night.

Although they are wild animals, the monkeys are used to being fed seeds and
fruit by the guests. Each day, hand-feeding of these curious creatures was a
highlight for my son, who actually had more than a few monkeys jump on his
head, shoulders and back.

The monkeys are smart. They try to get into the towers (which are totally
enclosed by a wire mesh) where they can find food in the restaurant and guest
rooms. They even know how to unlatch door handles and push open doors. One day,
we heard a knock at our door. That's right. It was a monkey. Startled, my wife
slammed the door and the monkey ran away. From then on, we kept the door locked
at all times.

We stayed with the Ariau's activities program for few days, all of which began
with a longboat ride. One day we went piranha fishing. Unfortunately, our group
did not catch a fish, but another group caught five. One wound up floating in
piranha soup that evening.

Read the rest at: http://www.ariauamazontowers.com/family-article.htm

www.AriauAmazonTowers.com

for a written brochu