Canadian 2-Way Radios in Europe?

Old December 10th, 2008, 05:27 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
carnutz1900

Default Canadian 2-Way Radios in Europe?

Hoping someone can help me......I am looking at buying some decent
quality 2-way radios that have like 20 mile radius to take skiing with
us in Austria and Switzerland in january, can I use them? I heard it is
not legal, but do they work? I don't want to buy new radios there to use
maybe three or four days. Has anyone used them as I heard they do work?

Cheers!

--
carnutz1900
Message Origin: TRAVEL.com

Old December 10th, 2008, 06:28 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Runge13[_2_]

of course they will work but the range won't go far if there are mountains
between you

message de ...

Old December 10th, 2008, 07:42 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Gregory Morrow[_100_]

scRunge13 blabbles:

of course they will work but the range won't go far if there are mountains
between you

No worries, they don't want to talk to you anyways...

--
Best
Greg

message de ...

Old December 10th, 2008, 08:57 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Graham Harrison[_3_]

"carnutz1900" wrote in message

Hoping someone can help me......I am looking at buying some decent
quality 2-way radios that have like 20 mile radius to take skiing with
us in Austria and Switzerland in january, can I use them? I heard it is
not legal, but do they work? I don't want to buy new radios there to use
maybe three or four days. Has anyone used them as I heard they do work?

Cheers!

--
carnutz1900
Message Origin: TRAVEL.com

Please check the frequency that you will be using and then verify what that
frequency band is used for in Europe. You really don't want to interfere
with emergency vehicles, air traffic and the like, do you?

Old December 10th, 2008, 10:06 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Frank Hucklenbroich

Am Tue, 9 Dec 2008 23:27:20 -0600 schrieb carnutz1900:

Hoping someone can help me......I am looking at buying some decent
quality 2-way radios that have like 20 mile radius to take skiing with
us in Austria and Switzerland in january, can I use them?

Depends on the frequencies. In Switzerland na Austria you can use PMR and
LDP. But you cannot cover a 20 mile radius with that, as the output power
is limited to 500mW. In the mountains it would be more like 2 miles, not
more (I'm using PMR while skiing myself).

If you want better coverage, you'll need CB Radio.

http://www.ezv.admin.ch/zollinfo_pri...rint_style=yes

Need a licensce for that, unless the Radio is from another European Country
with a circulation-card.

Then again I don't know if you want to haul around a big CB-Handheld.

I heard it is
not legal, but do they work? I don't want to buy new radios there to use
maybe three or four days.

Depends on the frequency if they are legal. But a I said, these things
won't cover 20 miles in the mountains. Never. Not a handheld thing.

You can go to the Swiss Post (PTT) and get a pair of cheap cellphones with
pre paid card. I did get a pair for something like 50 USD (for 2 simple
Nokias phones, inkluding a card with about 5 Dollar each). Rates are
ridiculously cheap (like 0,05 CHF per minute if you stay in the network),
and you have good reception in the mountains.

The small handheld Radios only cover up to 2 miles. Not more.

Regards,

Frank
Old December 10th, 2008, 04:27 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
PeterL

On Dec 9, 9:27*pm, carnutz1900 carnutz1900.3k6...@no-
mx.forums.travel.com wrote:
Hoping someone can help me......I am looking at buying some decent
quality 2-way radios that have like 20 mile radius to take skiing with
us in Austria and Switzerland in january, can I use them? I heard it is
not legal, but do they work? I don't want to buy new radios there to use
maybe three or four days. Has anyone used them as I heard they do work?

Cheers!

--
carnutz1900
Message Origin: TRAVEL.com

For just 3 or 4 days why not use cellphones. Have them unlocked and
use local sim cards.
Old December 10th, 2008, 08:38 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Runge13[_2_]

back to the potty place morrow

"Gregory Morrow" a écrit dans le
message de ...

scRunge13 blabbles:

of course they will work but the range won't go far if there are
mountains
between you

No worries, they don't want to talk to you anyways...

--
Best
Greg

"carnutz1900" a écrit dans