Babettes review

Old January 25th, 2004, 01:42 PM
Shazinz

Default Babettes review

Why can I not find this review??? I don't understand. I got the first, and
maybe even the 2nd entry. But I never got the review about the food. This
happens to me often, and I can't figure it out. HELP!!!

Shaz
Old January 25th, 2004, 03:17 PM
fradybunch

It's under the heading "Having your Cake and eating it too"

Sandi

Old January 25th, 2004, 03:54 PM
Charles

In article , Shazinz
wrote:

Why can I not find this review??? I don't understand. I got the first, and
maybe even the 2nd entry. But I never got the review about the food. This
happens to me often, and I can't figure it out. HELP!!!

If you are not getting all the articles posted to the newsgroup the
problem is with your ISP. I see you use America Online. They use their
own method of accessing Usenet newsgroups which does not use standard
Usenet protocols. That alone is a problem. I have seen the interface
although not the latest versions as most people I know have dropped AOL
for some kind of broadband, but whatever AOL is good for, reading
Usenet newsgroups it is not.

--
Charles
Old January 25th, 2004, 04:24 PM
OcnGypZ

Subject: Babettes review

Charles:

I have broadband.. and aol BYOB..... I've never had a problem either reading or
posting to my newsgroups with aol... Never.........though problem after problem
when I tried from my machine at work.

Guess I'm just lucky.

Babette
Old January 25th, 2004, 05:06 PM
Charles

In article , OcnGypZ
wrote:

Guess I'm just lucky.

It may be operators error by the other person. Or something set up
wrong in the preferences. Or you might not be noticing missing
articles. This is not just a matter of AOL. The way Usenet is
distributed any ISP's news server is only as good as the amount of
feeds it is hooked into, the more the better, and some are hooked into
more than others. Even then, a certain small percentage of posts are
going to get missed even by the best news servers. That is another
reason that quoting is used to provide context in replies.

--
Charles
Old January 25th, 2004, 05:27 PM
Charles

In article , OcnGypZ
wrote:

I have broadband.. and aol

Oh I forgot to include---I don't know anyone doing that, people don't
want the extra cost, but I am doing the same thing, although not with
AOL. I have maintained my dial-up ISP because, I still sometime need
dial-up, because of my e-mail addresses that I have used for years, and
also because their news server which they allow me to use over the
broadband connection is better than the one the broadband provider
provides. I can also use that news server when not at home. Also an
added bonus, with my newsreader I can have both news servers open, and
I have usually found if a post from r.t.c. is "missing" that it is on
the other news server.

--
Charles
Old January 25th, 2004, 07:41 PM
Linsifer

I have DSL and AOL and I love the way I access the newsgroup. Very much like an
AOL message board without the font and color perks. Never had a problem that I
can detect. When I'm done reading what I want for the time being, I simply
check Mark All Read. Or if I want to save certain threads, I check Mark Unread.
There are other options, as well, but that's my norm. If I feel I missed
something or inadvertantly checked All Read, I can go to the web to read the
newsgroup. But, I really do prefer this format.

~Lindsay

Old January 25th, 2004, 07:46 PM
Linsifer

Even though we use DSL, I use my dial-up connection after 10 PM. The reason? We
have a glitch with our Broadband DSL that won't allow us to always access
certain websites or pages on a site. Very frustrating. Or, worse yet, I get
booted off a lot ever since we got DSL. However, it COULD also be the fact that
two of our computers are connected through a wireless router to my husband's.
He also has the DSL modem. We may simply need to hard wire the system instead.
Since we've been lazy about trying to figure out the glitch, we just do it the
way we've been doing. Someday.....

Lindsay

Old January 25th, 2004, 07:53 PM
Charles

In article , Linsifer
wrote:

newsgroup. But, I really do prefer this format.

Your description sounds okay but I have a question, does it do quoting
when you reply? The reason I ask is that when you post you don't
include standard Usenet quote indicators like those above. Is there no
way to include them or have you set up it up without them. It is really
a hash the way you post by just pasting someone else words without the
quote indicators.

--
Charles
Old January 25th, 2004, 08:04 PM
Charles

In article , Linsifer
wrote:

However, it COULD also be the fact that two of our computers are
connected through a wireless router to my husband's. He also has the
DSL modem. We may simply need to hard wire the system instead. Since
we've been lazy about trying to figure out the glitch, we just do it
the way we've been doing. Someday.....

You don't need to hard wire the system. The wireless router enables you
to share the DSL connection. Something is set up wrong on the router.

--
Charles