How long from Chicago O'Hare to Union Station

Old March 15th, 2005, 05:39 PM

Default How long from Chicago O'Hare to Union Station

Dear All,

I am planning to travel from London Heathrow to Chicago O'Hare on Air
India. The flight should arrive at 15.00 and my train leaves the
station at 17.55pm .. do you think this is enough??

Also any experience of Air India do they arrive on time?

Many thanks,

Fady

Old March 15th, 2005, 05:49 PM
Binyamin Dissen

On 15 Mar 2005 09:39:19 -0800 wrote:

:I am planning to travel from London Heathrow to Chicago O'Hare on Air
:India. The flight should arrive at 15.00 and my train leaves the
:station at 17.55pm .. do you think this is enough??

Might be tough, especially on a weekday. I wouldn't bet on making it.

Where is the train going?

:Also any experience of Air India do they arrive on time?

Not a clue.

--
Binyamin Dissen
http://www.dissensoftware.com

Old March 15th, 2005, 06:03 PM
Stephen Clark

wrote in message
oups.com...
Dear All,

I am planning to travel from London Heathrow to Chicago O'Hare on Air
India. The flight should arrive at 15.00 and my train leaves the
station at 17.55pm .. do you think this is enough??

Also any experience of Air India do they arrive on time?

Many thanks,

Fady

In November the 'plane I was on landed at O'Hare (from Manchester, UK) at
(near) 13:00, after immigration and baggage claim and taking the Metro to
the Loop area I arrived in Downtown at (just after) 15:15. So it is possible
if all goes well - you'll have about 0.5 hour to spare.

Old March 16th, 2005, 08:51 AM

I am going to Macomb .. so I have only one train??

Old March 16th, 2005, 09:37 AM
Binyamin Dissen

On 16 Mar 2005 00:51:17 -0800 "
wrote:

:I am going to Macomb .. so I have only one train??

Yes. Sorry.

I thought you might be on one of the commuter runs.

Old March 16th, 2005, 09:55 AM
Keith W

wrote in message
oups.com...
Dear All,

I am planning to travel from London Heathrow to Chicago O'Hare on Air
India. The flight should arrive at 15.00 and my train leaves the
station at 17.55pm .. do you think this is enough??

NO , you should bank on at least an hour to clear customs and
immigration so ANY delay will screw you up.

Also any experience of Air India do they arrive on time?

As I mentioned in another thread that flight originates in
India so delays tend to be additive. Even the best airline
in the world can be held up by Air Traffic conrol problems
or adverse weather. Get an earlier flight or catch the train the
next day.

Keith

Old March 16th, 2005, 11:54 AM
Herbie Jurvanen

In .com, wrote:
I am going to Macomb .. so I have only one train??

If you don't make the train, your other options are really limited. Since
Macomb has a small university, there might be several bus services aimed at
students who commute between Macomb and the Chicago area. One of them is
he

http://www.peoriacharter.com/

But I see that their Macomb schedule is fairly sparse (only operates on
weekends, and only then in the morning).

--
Herbie J.
Famous Curator
Old March 16th, 2005, 02:04 PM
Mark Brader

Fady Shen:
I am planning to travel from London Heathrow to Chicago O'Hare on Air
India. The flight should arrive at 15.00 and my train leaves the
station at 17.55pm .. do you think this is enough??

In another message Fady said he or she was going to Macomb. That would
be an Amtrak train and its station in Chicago is Union Station.

Stephen Clark:
In November the 'plane I was on landed at O'Hare (from Manchester, UK) at
(near) 13:00, after immigration and baggage claim and taking the Metro

It's not "Metro" in Chicago. It's the CTA, or the L (elevated). "Subway"
is used there for the parts of the routes that are underground, so it would
also be a correct term, but the last time I was there, the signs at O'Hare
just referred to the CTA.

to the Loop area I arrived in Downtown at (just after) 15:15. ...

From O'Hare to Union Station by CTA, you follow a route like a sideways
letter J, first going into downtown and then stay on the same train as
it comes out of downtown on another side. Then you have to walk two
blocks (going north along Clinton Street). So this will take a bit
longer than Stephen's message implies.

An alternative, of course, would be a taxi; most of the route is
expressway, and it'll take you right to the station. Now I'm not
familiar with Chicago's expressways during rush hour, but I have to
think that traffic delays are likely. On the other hand, most of
the trip is into town and therefore against the primary flow.

I figure the best advice is to try to catch the train if the flight is
on time, but be prepared for the possibility of having to spend the
night in Chicago.
--
Mark Brader "...most mistakes are made the last thing before
Toronto you go to bed. So go to bed before you do

Old March 17th, 2005, 11:53 AM
Mark Brader

Fady Shen:
You said I should get the El train from the airport and get off at
Jackson then walk 6-7 block to the Union station. That is a bit
different from what "Mark Brader" said earlier about using the CTA and
walking 2 blocks. Are these 2 different things (el train & CTA)?

I said L or CTA; el is another spelling of L. It's all the same
thing. The specific line is called the Blue Line.

I assumed that if you were using it you'd stay on to the closest
station to Union, which is Clinton, but Dan is correct that you
could also get off at Jackson and walk or take a taxi from there.

I checked the Metra web site...

You aren't taking Metra.
--
Mark Brader "Finally no number of additional epicycles can
Toronto hide the fact that We've Got a Problem Here."