Fort Lauderdale hotels

Old January 24th, 2006, 11:48 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Default Fort Lauderdale hotels

Has anyone ever stayed at the Best Western Marina Inn a Yacht Harbor In Fort
Lauderdale?We'd like to hear your pros and cons about it. Also, the Ramada
Plaza Beach Resort. Any comments? We will be flying in a day or two early
and are looking for a nice place to stay. Thanks, Julie

Old January 25th, 2006, 01:02 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

"Julie" wrote in message
Has anyone ever stayed at the Best Western Marina Inn a Yacht Harbor In

Fort
Lauderdale?We'd like to hear your pros and cons about it. Also, the Ramada
Plaza Beach Resort. Any comments? We will be flying in a day or two early
and are looking for a nice place to stay. Thanks, Julie

We had reservations there last November (six months in advance), but the
hurricane put them out of commission just before we were scheduled to
sail on the Carribean Princess.! We ended up at the Motel 6 in
Danai instead. (Very last minute, and we were lucky to find anything!!)
It looks like a nice place--maybe next time we'll be able
to give a trip report! Let us know how you like the place if you do stay
there. Avoid the Motel 6 VBG!

Pete

Old January 25th, 2006, 01:05 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

"Julie" wrote in message
| Has anyone ever stayed at the Best Western Marina Inn a Yacht Harbor In
Fort
| Lauderdale?We'd like to hear your pros and cons about it. Also, the Ramada
| Plaza Beach Resort. Any comments? We will be flying in a day or two early
| and are looking for a nice place to stay. Thanks, Julie

Yes, it was about four years ago we stayed at the BW Marina Inn and Yacht
Club and I will never stay there again!
We booked it because it was advertised as having free shuttles to/from the
airport and Port Everglades. It is also a stone's throw away from the Port.

When arriving at FLL, we called for a pickup and were told if we wanted the
shuttle we would have to wait four hours. We took a cab for $15.

On arrival, the rooms were clean but hadn't been remodeled for at least 30
years. With outside facing doors and walkway like an old HoJo or very old
Holiday Inn, you heard people walking past your door and window at all
hours.

They had a day-before sign up sheet for Port Everglades shuttles in the
lobby.

My wife refused to eat breakfast in the dining room as she thought it was
not clean and maintained.

Time to go to the port..... They ran one van and had a least 150 people
trying to get the shuttle. The entire back parking area was filled with
luggage. It seemed hopeless and no attention seemed to be paid to the sign
up sheet.

We went out to the street and got a cab just to go over the causeway and
into Port Everglades, making sure the driver at least got a decent fare.

Not a pleasant place for me. I considered it a barracks for pre/post cruise
passengers. No one else was staying there.

Mike in Ohio

Old January 25th, 2006, 01:25 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

"Plasma" wrote in message news:F9ABf.42064$tK4at least got
a decent fare.

Not a pleasant place for me. I considered it a barracks for pre/post

cruise
passengers. No one else was staying there.

Mike in Ohio

Maybe we lucked out with the Motel 6!! Ha ha!! What is a good place to stay
when
coming in a day early?

Old January 25th, 2006, 03:16 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Hi Julie,

I once asked about the BW Marina Inn and also got negative feedback.
We stay at the Marriott Marina across the street and on the other side
of the bridge from the BW. Love it - have stayed their numerous
times. If you get a port facing room above floor 5, you should be
high enough to see the ships over the bridge.

Doug

Old January 25th, 2006, 04:26 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

wrote:

Has anyone ever stayed at the Best Western Marina Inn a Yacht Harbor In Fort
Lauderdale?We'd like to hear your pros and cons about it. Also, the Ramada
Plaza Beach Resort. Any comments? We will be flying in a day or two early
and are looking for a nice place to stay. Thanks, Julie

Hi, We have stayed there! NEVER again. The room was not cleaned,
there were comment cards dated three weeks earlier in a drawer saying,
"the room is not clean". We had a second floor room, shower would not
drain. We paid extra for the water front view. There is a draw bridge
that opens all night long ,,. The clanging bell never stopped. We
used valuetrips.com and got a room in Amerisuites, 17th street. For
$99 per night, midweek Feb. You have to wait two business days to see
if a room is availbale, but it works. Worth a try if you have time. I
have since cionfirmed and everything is go. Jeri
Old January 25th, 2006, 04:35 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

wrote:

Has anyone ever stayed at the Best Western Marina Inn a Yacht Harbor In Fort
Lauderdale?We'd like to hear your pros and cons about it. Also, the Ramada
Plaza Beach Resort. Any comments? We will be flying in a day or two early
and are looking for a nice place to stay. Thanks, Julie

Hi, We have stayed there. NEVER again. Room was dirty, there was a
comment card three weeks old in a drawer. Saying, "room is not clean".
Shower would not drain in second floor room. We paid more to be on the
water side, there is a drawbridge that operates all night long. The
bell on the bridge clanged all night long. We used valuetrips.com
this year and got Amerisuites on 17th St. for $99 per night midweek
Feb. You have to wait two business days for a confirmation, but it
does work. The least expensive on their website is $249. They have a
lot of Florida hotels on the valuetrips site. Hope this is helpful.
Jeri
Old January 25th, 2006, 05:35 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

We just stayed at the Embassy Suites on 17th St. VERY disappointed ---
the list is too long to post. $300/night.

If you go to the beach (A1A), you can find some low-$$ but adequate
properties - but you'll have to force your way into recently refurbished
rooms. Remember, every one of those places has "good" and "bad" rooms,
and guess what they want to rent? If you don't check first, and then
argue, you'll be stuck with a room from which they're trying to squeeze
the last nickel before refurbing it.

Good luck.
Old January 25th, 2006, 09:01 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Julie wrote:
Has anyone ever stayed at the Best Western Marina Inn a Yacht Harbor In Fort
Lauderdale?We'd like to hear your pros and cons about it. Also, the Ramada
Plaza Beach Resort. Any comments?

Apparently no one had any good comments about any of those.

We will be flying in a day or two early
and are looking for a nice place to stay. Thanks, Julie

Try the Hilton Garden Inn nearest the airport, off the intersection of
Stirling Road and I-95.

It's about 3 miles to the pier (by direct route) and farther via I-95.
It has free shuttle to the cruise ship pier -- cruise ship passengers
on all cruise ships use this hotel.

Parking at the pier is $17 a day, and the hotel will tell you to park
there and that they don't have parking except for hotel guests, even
if you are willing to pay to leave the car there. But if are discreet

about your parking, you can park there (plenty of spaces) and nobody
has bothered my car parked there for weeks after a 1 night stay
while I was on cruises. The hotel parking area has a room-key
operated gate -- but that's only for ENTRY to the parking lot. Exit
doesnt require any key. You can figure out the rest. Just DON'T
ASK the hotel clerk if you could park there during your cruise.

The hotel free shuttle only takes you to the cruise pier. You'll have
to take a taxi to get back.

The last cruise I took in October 2005 and left my car there, I got off
the cruiseship shortly after 8:30 am, and I was back to the hotel with
the luggage and on I-95 by 9:00 am.

-- Bob.