Safari in Tanzania

Old October 17th, 2003, 10:52 AM
Pernille og Kennet

Default Safari in Tanzania

Does anybody have any experience with safaris in southern Tanzania, eg.
Selous? Is it difficult to reach? Which prices should I expect?

Kennet

--

-------------------------
Besøg vores rejse- og dyreside på

Old October 17th, 2003, 04:38 PM
riot5

maybe try zara travel. they dont have southern tanzania listed but
they have been a huge help to me. they pieced together over 3 weeks
for me and are very competitive. i think its www.zaratravel.com if
that doesnt work try these people as they do A LOT of stuff down there

Old October 17th, 2003, 06:27 PM
Eupe-mbwa

On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 11:52:42 +0200, "Pernille og Kennet"
wrote:

Does anybody have any experience with safaris in southern Tanzania, eg.
Selous? Is it difficult to reach? Which prices should I expect?

Selous is about 1- 1½ hours by small prop plane from Dar Es Salaam or
many, many hours by train (not recommended!)
Coastal Air flies direct to the various airstrips which supply the
camps there.Their site is at:
http://www.cm2net.co.uk/airline/index.php
It allows online booking. Try approaching the various camps direct
(they all have websites) for costs, going through a third party will
add their costs of course.
We tried a "budget" approach using the Sable Mountain Lodge which is
situated outside the park so is cheaper to stay though park fees are
charged each time you enter the park.
When I say "budget" it still costs a not inconsiderable amount, though
I would recommend Sable Mountain to anyone, the accommodation is of a
high standard and in a fantastic location even when compared with the
"premium" sited lodges.
A few last words... Le Selous is fantastic, untouched, beautiful and
huge. You will not see another vehicle all day, you won't see over
familiarised lionesses drinking out of the wheelruts of other safari
vehicles or rubbing themselves on landrovers.When you take a photo you
won't have to worry whether the other vehicles surrounding the animal
of interest will spoil the shot, there wont be any!
Of course the downside can be that the animals are wary of vehicles
and will run away at times, but you take your chances..

--

.--~~,__
:-....,-------`~~'._.'

Old October 17th, 2003, 06:31 PM
Eupe-mbwa

wrote:

Does anybody have any experience with safaris in southern Tanzania, eg.
Selous? Is it difficult to reach? Which prices should I expect?

Some current prices, courtesy of Africa Travel Resource
(
http://www.africatravelresource.com/...lous/03/01.htm)

Sand Rivers : $ 425 pppn
Selous SC : $ 300 pppn
Rufiji River : $ 230 pppn
Sable Mtn : $ 225 pppn

That's Per Person, Per Night. As you can see, not cheap!
--

.--~~,__
:-....,-------`~~'._.'

Old October 17th, 2003, 10:35 PM
Edc4

I've recommended this company in the past in this NG and will again for a
Selous trip: http://www.tzphotosafaris.com/

Best company I've dealt with in several safaris in Africa, check them out.

Ed

ubject: Safari in Tanzania

Old October 18th, 2003, 05:09 PM
Liz

In message
"Pernille og Kennet" wrote:

Does anybody have any experience with safaris in southern Tanzania, eg.
Selous? Is it difficult to reach? Which prices should I expect?

Kennet

I've been to Selous.
I presume you must be asking about self-driving as all of the quality
companies in UK at least seem to have at least one trip taking in Selous,
and Selous/Ruaha/Zanzibar seems to be a standard alternative itinerary to
the northern circuit.

We were there in '98. I don't know anything about self-camping, but all the
camps then were high-class to very high-class and comparatively expensive to
exclusive. You can see some pix starting at
http://www.v-liz.co.uk/safari/tanzania/selous/sel_a.htm.
We stayed at the camp which is now called the Selous Safari Camp, which is
mid-range for Selous. We flew in from Dar (having flown to Dar from Arusha
after a northern circuit safari) and flew on to Zanzibar.
Someone else will have to tell you about self-driving and self-camping if
that's what you want to do.

Compared to the northern circuit, Selous is much less visited (or was in
'98, given that it was a relatively unusual destination then, and is
featured in many brochures now that may not be the case so much, but I'd
still think it will be less visited). At the time we were there, the animals
weren't so habituated as in more-visited areas, but the guides were
assuming/hoping that as more people visited, the animals would become more
used to them and become less skittish.

Sorry not to be of more help.
Surely someone else has done it independently.

Liz
--
Virtual Liz at http://www.v-liz.co.uk
Kenya; Tanzania; India; Seychelles