Malaria precautions in Kruerger NP

Old October 12th, 2003, 10:53 AM
Detlev Hilberg

Default Malaria precautions in Kruerger NP

Hi there,
during our SA stay we also stay a couple of days in Krueger NP. We have
Malarone for precaution and need to know if it is advisable to take
mosquito nets with us. We stay in Olifants and Lower Sabie. Do they
provide these nets and if not, is it overdone to take them with us.

Thanks a lot

Angela & Detlev

Old October 12th, 2003, 03:11 PM
Hans Martens

Detlev Hilberg wrote:
Hi there,
during our SA stay we also stay a couple of days in Krueger NP. We have
Malarone for precaution and need to know if it is advisable to take
mosquito nets with us. We stay in Olifants and Lower Sabie. Do they
provide these nets and if not, is it overdone to take them with us.

They will not provide musquito nets for you in Kruger. If you do have
them, it may be a wise thing to use them. The best way to prevent
malaria is to make sure you don't get bitten. That is much better than
any drug, even a new one like Malarone!

The only problem may be that you wont have anything to attach the nets to.

Regards,
Hans

==================================
Hans Martens

Wildlife & Nature Photography
http://www.wildpicture.com
==================================

Old October 12th, 2003, 05:19 PM
Detlev Hilberg

Thank you very much for this information.

What's the problem with the nets? Is the ceiling to high to attach them
or is there no hook or something to attach it to?

Regards,
Angela & Detlev

Old October 12th, 2003, 05:49 PM
Hans Martens

Detlev Hilberg wrote:
What's the problem with the nets? Is the ceiling to high to attach them
or is there no hook or something to attach it to?

There is no hook for attaching them. In some houses you may be able to
screw in a small hook of yourself. But there wont always be a suitable
wooden pole above your bed.

Regards,
Hans

==================================

Old October 12th, 2003, 08:21 PM
Lorenzo

We stayed in two private reserves in/near Kruger in September this year.
There were nets at one and no nets at the other. Both provided plug-in
repellants. At that time they had had a very dry period and there were
virtually no mosquitos about. We did take malarone and sprayed ourselves
just to be safe, but did not use the nets. I got bitten three times (in a
visit to a cave painting when unprotected!) and my wife none.

You can get nets that have an internal frame and which therefore don't need
to be hung up. But you still have to sleep in them which is not really very
comfortable. If you take some plug-in repellant and some good (DEET) body
spray, it will be more comfortable than carrying and trying to sleep in a
net. And of course malarone is there incase these precautions don't work.

Have a fantastic time. I still return to the safari when I am sleeping!!