"Americans not getting bang for buck in Europe"

Old February 6th, 2004, 04:43 PM
Mike

Default "Americans not getting bang for buck in Europe"

Americans not getting bang for buck in Europe
From back-packing tourists to high-flying diplomats, Americans in
Paris are feeling the pinch as the single European currency hovers
near record highs against the sagging dollar.
at http://www.washingtontimes.com/world...0306-1742r.htm
Old February 6th, 2004, 07:30 PM
PTRAVEL

"Mike" wrote in message
om...
Americans not getting bang for buck in Europe
From back-packing tourists to high-flying diplomats, Americans in
Paris are feeling the pinch as the single European currency hovers
near record highs against the sagging dollar.
at http://www.washingtontimes.com/world...0306-1742r.htm

Having taken two trips to Europe, one in November and one in December, I'd
point out that, though the Euro is quite high (nearly a 40% rise since our
last trip), prices for _some_ items are still low enough in Europe that it
is still an economical destination, depending on your budget. For example,
my wife and I ate in wonderful restaurants in Italy and Spain, having full
meals, dessert and a bottle of wine for 70 to 80 Euro which is slightly less
than we'd pay for a comparable meal here in San Francisco, or in New York or
Los Angeles. Car rentals in both countries were comparable to US costs, and
hotel rates were, at least, reasonable -- $125-175/night for 4 star
accomodation in touristy areas, less in untouristy ones. Per my wife,
clothing was still a bargain (I don't know about these things -- I just say,
"yes, dear."). Overall, both trips wound up costing us only slightly more
than we'd usually spend on European travel (we generally go at least once a
year).

Of course, if you're on a very tight budget, you'll probably feel the pinch
considerably more. However, "middle class travel" to Europe (which I define
as not luxury, but still nice, e.g. 4-star hotels, but not 5, nice
restaurants, but not Michelin-rated, etc.) still offers value.

Old February 6th, 2004, 07:59 PM
nightjar

"Mike" wrote in message
om...
Americans not getting bang for buck in Europe
From back-packing tourists to high-flying diplomats, Americans in
Paris are feeling the pinch as the single European currency hovers
near record highs against the sagging dollar.

Not so long ago, it was reported in the English newspapers that many Britons
are now going on shopping trips to the USA, because the exchange rate is so
favourable.

Colin Bignell

Old February 6th, 2004, 08:13 PM
Thur

"PTRAVEL" wrote ...
accomodation in touristy areas, less in untouristy ones. Per my wife,
clothing was still a bargain (I don't know about these things -- I just

say,
"yes, dear.").

*LOL* :-D
Greetz,

*good marriage, eh?*

Old February 6th, 2004, 09:03 PM
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Mike wrote:

Americans not getting bang for buck in Europe
From back-packing tourists to high-flying diplomats, Americans in
Paris are feeling the pinch as the single European currency hovers
near record highs against the sagging dollar.
at http://www.washingtontimes.com/world...0306-1742r.htm

Well, we enjoyed favorable exchange rates for a long, long time - when
the dollar keeps dropping in value, perhaps we should do something about
our trade deficits? (I admit my recent trip to Vienna cost me
considerably more - in US currency - than the one in 2000, but what can
you expect, with our current administration?)
Old February 6th, 2004, 10:02 PM
milesh

nightjar
Not so long ago, it was reported in the English newspapers that many Britons
are now going on shopping trips to the USA, because the exchange rate is so
favourable.

Some items are cheaper in the USA but not all. Electronic items such as
cameras, computers etc. are much cheaper in the USA than in England.
Clothes are about the same price when the exchange rate is taken into
account, except for USA brand items such as Levi's (which closed it's
last USA factory recently so the savings my disappear).

On a recent trip to London from the USA, I found that after figuring in
the exchange rate the prices on most goods were comparable to that in
the USA in USD prices. Example, we purchased some inexpensive shirts
with "London" embroidered on them for 10 pounds each. With the exchange
rate that would be about $18USD which is actually a decent price.

Electronic goods look like they would be much cheaper in the USA. I
wandered into a few camera stores in London and found a digital camera
for 300 pounds. That same camera in the USA sells for $300USD.

Old February 6th, 2004, 11:32 PM
PTRAVEL

"Thur" wrote in message .. .
"PTRAVEL" wrote ...
accomodation in touristy areas, less in untouristy ones. Per my wife,
clothing was still a bargain (I don't know about these things -- I just

say,
"yes, dear.").

*LOL* :-D
Greetz,

*good marriage, eh?*

You bet! Words to live by: Don't sweat the small stuff.
Old February 7th, 2004, 07:56 AM
freeda

Americans not getting bang for buck in Europe
From back-packing tourists to high-flying diplomats, Americans in
Paris are feeling the pinch as the single European currency hovers
near record highs against the sagging dollar.

Not so long ago, it was reported in the English newspapers that many

Britons
are now going on shopping trips to the USA, because the exchange rate is

so
favourable.

I read an article on this in a UK broadsheet. Apperently, if you want a
Digital Camera, an iPod, and a laptop computer, you can save about 500-700
GBP, more than worth it since a return from London to NYC is under 200 GBP
and it is only a 7 hour flight.

Old February 7th, 2004, 09:07 AM
Miss L. Toe

"Sjoerd" wrote in message

"freeda" schreef in bericht

I read an article on this in a UK broadsheet. Apperently, if you want a
Digital Camera, an iPod, and a laptop computer, you can save about

500-700
GBP, more than worth it since a return from London to NYC is under 200

GBP
and it is only a 7 hour flight.

And you have to be lucky at UK customs, too.

That part doesn't take much luck