Test message

Old April 15th, 2009, 09:25 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
AZ Nomad[_3_]

Default Test message

On Wed, 15 Apr 2009 11:29:41 -0700, Hatunen wrote:
On Wed, 15 Apr 2009 17:16:09 GMT, "James Silverton"
wrote:

AFAIK, all news servers have had test groups practically since they
started. It is amazing how the news has not reached some people, tho' I
have to admit that it is possible to make a mistake.

The problem with this is that by using your own ISP's news server
you are only testing whether your message propagates to other
users of your ISP and not globally.

alt.test is global
misc.test is global

unless you are working for your ISP and testing their newserver setup for
them, you only need to be able to post to a local newsgroup.

Old April 15th, 2009, 09:26 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
AZ Nomad[_3_]

On Wed, 15 Apr 2009 12:53:54 -0700, Hatunen wrote:

wrote:

AFAIK, all news servers have had test groups practically since they
started. It is amazing how the news has not reached some people, tho' I
have to admit that it is possible to make a mistake.

The problem with this is that by using your own ISP's news server
you are only testing whether your message propagates to other
users of your ISP and not globally.

Isn't that the reason for the globally accessible test newsgroups like alt.test

Since I can access alt.test only because it is a group kept on my
local news server it would still only tell me that I could post
to my local groups. It's not as if there were a central news
server somewhere.

Once upon a time you could send a test message to misc.test and a
whole bunch of servers carrying the group would send you

if you can post to *any* unmoderated newsgroup, then you can post
to any other unmoderated newsgroup, local or not. Your news client
doesn't care wether or not your ISP propagates the newsgroup.
Old April 15th, 2009, 09:36 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Runge14[_2_]

martin is the bin keeper.
I'd rather see tests than his jokes.

"Martin" a écrit dans le message de
news
On Wed, 15 Apr 2009 11:10:39 +0100, "Ian F."
wrote:

"Gerry" wrote in message

Testing................1,2,3,4

alt.test is that way --------------------

Test posters this way -------- BIN
--

Martin

Old April 15th, 2009, 09:36 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Gerry[_5_]

Default Test message - the reason why

"Erick T. Barkhuis" -o-m wrote in message
Pentaxuser:
"James Silverton" wrote:

AFAIK, all news servers have had test groups practically since they
started. It is amazing how the news has not reached some people, tho' I
have to admit that it is possible to make a mistake.

but compared to the trolls, spammers and assorted nutters here, is it
that bad?

't is not!
Also, how else do you want someone to test whether or not he can
successfully post to r.t.e.?

Thanks for your "moral support", Erick.
The reason I posted a test message to rte was simply that after some 7 years
(6 of which posting fairly regularly on rte), I decided to change my news
server and merely wanted to see if my rte posts still got posted. Apologies
to all concerned!

Gerry

Old April 15th, 2009, 10:33 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Hatunen

wrote:

AFAIK, all news servers have had test groups practically since they
started. It is amazing how the news has not reached some people, tho' I
have to admit that it is possible to make a mistake.

The problem with this is that by using your own ISP's news server
you are only testing whether your message propagates to other
users of your ISP and not globally.

Isn't that the reason for the globally accessible test newsgroups like alt.test

Since I can access alt.test only because it is a group kept on my
local news server it would still only tell me that I could post
to my local groups. It's not as if there were a central news
server somewhere.

The general idea is that each news server propagates to other news servers.

If yours doesn't, I would look else where.

Come, come. How do you find out if your message is propagating
beyond your local news server if your local news server is the
only one you are accessing?

Old April 15th, 2009, 10:34 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne, _the_ chancellor[_2_]

Hatunen wrote:

[]
How do you find out if your message is propagating
beyond your local news server if your local news server is the
only one you are accessing?

Check google groups.

--
(*) of the royal duchy of city south and deansgate
www.davidhorne.net (email address on website)
Old April 15th, 2009, 10:34 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Hatunen

wrote:

[...]

But how do you KNOW ther message went beyond your local news
server? Back when misc.test worked you got messages affirming it
from servers beyond your local news server.

Old April 15th, 2009, 10:37 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Hatunen

wrote:

AFAIK, all news servers have had test groups practically since they
started. It is amazing how the news has not reached some people, tho' I
have to admit that it is possible to make a mistake.

The problem with this is that by using your own ISP's news server
you are only testing whether your message propagates to other
users of your ISP and not globally.

alt.test is global
misc.test is global

unless you are working for your ISP and testing their newserver setup for
them, you only need to be able to post to a local newsgroup.

You can post to any newsgroup your local server stores, and even
if you local news server is not connected to the outside world
for the momen, you will see your message appear. But you have no
way of knowing your local news server is, in fact, propagating it
outerward.

Take a look at the headers on any message you have posted and
notice that they do not tell you your message went anywhere else.

Old April 15th, 2009, 10:55 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
tim.....

"James Silverton" wrote:

AFAIK, all news servers have had test groups practically since they
started. It is amazing how the news has not reached some people, tho' I
have to admit that it is possible to make a mistake.

but compared to the trolls, spammers and assorted nutters here, is it
that bad?

't is not!
Also, how else do you want someone to test whether or not he can
successfully post to r.t.e.?

Thanks for your "moral support", Erick.
The reason I posted a test message to rte was simply that after some 7
years (6 of which posting fairly regularly on rte), I decided to change my
news server and merely wanted to see if my rte posts still got posted.

So why not make up a real message then?

tim

Old April 15th, 2009, 11:55 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Hatunen

wrote:

[...]

The last part of your sentence is a dumb condition. There is nothing to stop you
using another news server, there are several free news servers and a good text
only server costs €10/annum. In the worst case you could even use Google News to
check.

Yes. We here are very smart. I even use a news server not run by
my ISP. But we're talking the great unwashed here. I have to
aemit, though, that many of the great unwashed use Googlegroups,
so the question may be moot. But the tester still has to pick a
newsgroup to bother with a test message.