Tel Aviv to Jerusalem

Old April 16th, 2009, 08:49 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
Alfred Molon[_6_]

Default Tel Aviv to Jerusalem

How to get from Tel Aviv airport to Jerusalem. Is there a bus, train or
some other service?

When departing from Tel Aviv airport, how long does the check-in
procedure last? How much time before a flight does one have to be there?
--

Alfred Molon
Old April 16th, 2009, 02:20 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
tile

Alfred Molon wrote:
How to get from Tel Aviv airport to Jerusalem. Is there a bus, train
or some other service?

When departing from Tel Aviv airport, how long does the check-in
procedure last? How much time before a flight does one have to be
there?

as far as I know there are the usual taxi. then small buses that take you
from the airport to yr hotel.
I took a taxi for 250 shekels. But I did not know about the small bus that
should run for about 100 shekels.

you should be at the airport about 3 hours before.
the procedure involves a little bit of questioning.. one by one.. or couples
together.. with such questions as.. are you married ?? how long have you
been together .. and so on.
then you put yr luggage under a screening machine.. you get a ticket. and
bring yr luggage to a desk where they might ask you to open yr luggage
( I had a few books. but they asked me without opening what kind of books I
had)
funny enough.. they do not question yr bringing liquids in yr hand luggage
!! in fact they do not check yr hand luggage after the screening machine..
I went from TEL AVIV airport to tel Avib by taxi too. but there is a
train.. and I am sure there is a bus from jerusalem to the airport .
This airport in about half way between jerusalem and tel aviv
In any case. as soos as you arrive there is a taxi stand and fares are
clearly indicated !!!
( the train might take you to Jerusalem as well.. but I do not know. if you
are a family.. a taxi is more convenient )
pls note that there are no public services on SATURDAYS.. so taxis are more
expensive and only small private buses run between towns.
in Most hotels. lifts observe the Saturdays too. you do not need to push a
button. they stop at each floor !!
pls note that there are security checks at each station. bus or train.. on
departure and/or arrival.. at main hotels and shopping centres..
once i was going by train and at a small station the train station.
everybody had to get out. police got in and checked the train with the help
of police dogs.
English is widely spoken. russian being the second language. Of course. the
national language is the first choice..

Old April 16th, 2009, 07:34 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Alfred Molon[_6_]

In article , tile says ...

you should be at the airport about 3 hours before.

Ouch... three hours before? In most European airports it is sufficient
to arrive one hour before the departure.

I'll be travelling alone, so I think I'll take the bus. By the way, 100
shekel (=18 Euro) is not exactly cheap for a bus ride of 50km.

By the way, is there anything to see in Tel Aviv?
--

Alfred Molon
Old April 17th, 2009, 07:51 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
tile

Alfred Molon wrote:
In article , tile says

you should be at the airport about 3 hours before.

Ouch... three hours before? In most European airports it is sufficient
to arrive one hour before the departure.

I'll be travelling alone, so I think I'll take the bus. By the way,
100 shekel (=18 Euro) is not exactly cheap for a bus ride of 50km.

By the way, is there anything to see in Tel Aviv?

well. in Tel Aviv there is the old town of Jafo (Giaffa)
where you can spend a half day wandering along the old city

The other towns I visited .. as I am mainly interested in ancient
monuments..
were AKKO ( the old ACRI) and Caesarea.

I would spend at least 4 days in Jerusalem. one of the nicest towns in the
world.. would spend at least one day in Bethlem
other excursions are to the mountain fortress destroyed by the romans (
nothing very special actually.. but worth a visit )
skip Jerico.

Tourism is dead in Israel. so prices are a little cheaper than usual. The
cost of living in Israel is .. MORE EXPENSIVE.. than in Italy

Waiters are not paid with a salary. so they rely on yr leaving a tip of at
elast 10 /12%
In Jerusalem there is a FREE TOUR.. it is a very well organized tour. The
guide relies on you leaving a tip. But she well deserves it
Of course. arab restaurants are much cheaper

if you have time. and do not care about stamps in yr passport. I would go to
AMMAN and then PETRA. that is worth a visit !!

Old April 17th, 2009, 03:26 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
[email protected]

On Apr 16, 3:49*am, Alfred Molon wrote:
How to get from Tel Aviv airport toJerusalem. Is there a bus, train or
some other service?

There is a relatively new train service from Ben Gurion Airport but
only to Tel Aviv, from where you'd have to take a bus to Jerusalem.
Inconvenient unless you want to stay in Tel Aviv, and yes, Yaffa is
nice, so is the new part of Tel Aviv waterfront.

There is also a public bus service (Egged) from Ben Gurion to
Jerusalem but not direct, and only during day hours. You need to
change the bus somewhere.

I arrived last year in the middle of the night, so other than taking
an individual taxi, the only possibility was a "sherut" or shared
taxi. This had the disadvantage that it would only leave when full,
which took an hour and a half. It would also make many stops dropping
off people at various locations. But for 50 shekels it was not
excessively expensive, particularly when it's 2:00 AM, and you have no
alternative other than individual taxi.

E-mail me if you need more details. I was there in August 2008.

Best, jrk
Old April 17th, 2009, 08:16 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Alfred Molon[_6_]

Thanks. By the way, how to avoid getting an Israeli chop into the
passport. Can you ask them not to chop the passport?
--

Alfred Molon
Old April 18th, 2009, 06:56 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
tile

Alfred Molon wrote:
Thanks. By the way, how to avoid getting an Israeli chop into the
passport. Can you ask them not to chop the passport?

yes. very easy and without any problem.
My police woman was very funny. she asked me laughing

why don't you want an israeli stamp ?
and I said : because i will visit arab countries.
she looked at me and said : as I see from yr passport. you have already
visited all the worst enemies of Israel.
and I told her.. not yet. I still miss Lebanon and Lybia.. among the others.

she stamped a slip of paper.
after a few metres a policeman collected the slip of paper. had a look at
it. and threw it in the wastepaper basket.

so easy it was.
Israelis are tough. but kind. a little tight on money.
the tourist business is almost dead.for this reason. prices tend to be
negotiable in hotels and private transports.

Pls note you will need at leats 4 hours if you want to visit Yad vashem
( the museum of Holocaust ) in Jerusalem. It is a little bit out of town.
but easily reachable by bus. the bus will drop you at a special stop. then
there is a shuttle buttle free of charge. but you can walk. it takes about
15 minutes.
if you want to enter the palestinian zones ( Jerico and Bethlem ) you will
need yr passports. Israeli will check and palestinians will check.
but just a look. no problem. Prices in Palestinian zone are at least 50%
cheaper.

Old April 18th, 2009, 09:39 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
Alfred Molon[_6_]

In article , tile says ...

Pls note you will need at leats 4 hours if you want to visit Yad vashem
( the museum of Holocaust ) in Jerusalem.

Most likely I won't visit that, because I'm planning to do some
photography and I'd guess photographing in the museum is not allowed (or
they don't allow you to put the photos on your website).

Besides my time will be limited. I'm actually doing a business trip to
Tel Aviv and adding a couple of days - arriving on May 1st in the
evening and leaving from Tel Aviv on May 4th. I have two days in
Jerusalem so I have to concentrate on the essential.
--

Alfred Molon