1 week tour from San Diego: recommendations?

Old January 4th, 2011, 10:55 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
PeterL

Default 1 week tour from San Diego: recommendations?

On Jan 2, 8:41*am, Terry Pinnell wrote:
I'm flying from London to visit my son in Carlsbad, San Diego on February
17th. He will no doubt take me to many of the San Diego tourist spots
during the next 4 days. But then for a week I plan to hire a car and see
as much as I can on my own. So any recommendations for possible practical
itineraries would be much appreciated please. I don't mind driving a
hundred or two miles a day.

Ideally I'd like to cover new ground, so here's a list of places I've
visited on a previous USA trip in 1997:

San Francisco
LA
Yosemite
Death Valley
Las Vegas
Bryce Canyon
Zion
Grand Canyon (but if possible would love to see it again!)
Sedona

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK

You may want to drive up Hwy 1 north of Los Angeles to the wine
country near Santa Barbara. Yosemite is nice of course but you may
run into snow in the mountains. Bryce, Zion, Grand Canyon, and Sedona
is a relatively long drive away and will take your whole week to
explore. Snow again can be an issue.
Old January 6th, 2011, 12:44 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Graham Harrison[_3_]

"Graham Harrison" wrote in message

"Terry Pinnell" wrote in message
[...]

I think I'd probably head up I15 then I215 towards Perris
http://www.oerm.org/ then pick up I10 east to
http://www.nps.gov/jotr/index.htm and on into Arizona passing
http://www.fws.gov/refuges/profiles/index.cfm?id=22570 bypassing Phoenix
to Tucson and http://www.pimaair.org/ or http://www.nps.gov/sagu/index.htm
and turning round at http://www.nps.gov/chir/index.htm (which allows you a
bit of fun at http://www.cityoftombstone.com/) or maybe just over the
border into NM at Silver City http://www.silvercity.org/ for
http://www.nps.gov/gicl/index.htm,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_Chino_Mine and
http://www.emnrd.state.nm.us/PRD/cityrocks.htm . On the way back from
Tucson to Phoenix take I8 towards San Diego passing
http://www.blm.gov/az/st/en/prog/blm...n/son_des.html and
a possible side trip to http://www.nps.gov/orpi/index.htm

The Chiricahuas have some nice hiking. The Gila Cliff Dwellings were
much, much less touristy than the similar artefacts in Mesa Verde and we
were allowed to visit as individuals rather than being herded through in a
group. The OERM in Perris has a wonderful collection of US railway
artefacts including steam, diesel and electric and Pima is adjacent to the
outdoor storage facility where the US forces keep all the planes they
don't currently want but might one day.

Phoenix is worth a stop to see the high end hotels at the north end of the
city but, in my view, not much else. Tucson isn't that exciting other
than as a base. Silver City NM is a small town and at first glance
doesn't have much to recommend it but we spent a couple of nights and
found it friendly.

I just remembered http://www.azcaf.org/ in the outskirts of Phoenix if
you're interested in 2nd world war planes.

Old January 21st, 2011, 06:19 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Ad absurdum per aspera[_2_]

The Gila Cliff Dwellings were much,
much less touristy than the similar artifacts in Mesa Verde and we were
allowed to visit as individuals rather than being herded through in a group.
Silver City NM is a small town and at first glance doesn't have
much to recommend it but we spent a couple of nights and found it friendly.

It's nominally a year-round place, though guided tours and other
activities are harder to come by in the winter, and frontal weather
could throw a monkey wrench into your plans (albeit fairly predictably
on a few days' notice). http://www.nps.gov/gicl/planyourvisit/hours.htm

It's a grueling day's drive from San Diego -- better to do an
overnighter and see something in southern or central Arizona (there's
no shortage of candidates) en route.

http://www.desertexposure.com gives you an idea of what else there is
to see and do, including where you might stay, in the general
vicinity of Silver City. (Alas, I just found out that Faywood Hot
Springs is closed to guests and for sale, for unfortunate reasons; but
I think there are non-motel places to stay in Silver.)

The western and eastern sides of the Gila both offer chances to gape
at a stupendous mining pit if you're into that. Note: that stretch
of US 191 (nee 666) up the western side can be quite sporty in winter.

There are options in New Mexico depending on time, interests, and
weather, ranging from a drive up I-25 through Truth or Consequences
and Socorro, then westering up US 60 to get a glimpse of the Very
Large Array, and after that, either turning for home or going to the
Petrified Forest / Painted Desert (http://www.nps.gov/pefo/index.htm)
and Meteor Crater (http://www.meteorcrater.com/ ; http://www.barringercrater.com/)
area, then Sunset Crater (http://www.nps.gov/sucr/index.htm) and
either back down or up into the Utah canyonlands. Or you could keep
going up I-25 and see Santa Fe, then maybe Taos -- perhaps up through
_Milagro Beanfield War_ country (http://www.newmexico.org/scenicbyways/
high_road.php) or the Rio Grande Gorge (http://
www.enchantedcircle.org/ ). If weather makes you want a southern
route, consider White Sands -- perhaps for a Friday evening or Full
Moon astronomy program (http://www.nps.gov/whsa/index.htm ;
http://www.desertusa.com/wsand/) or even Carlsbad Caverns (http://
www.nps.gov/cave/index.htm).

With only a week, you might want to have a plan for maximal extent of
the trip and a fallback position in case you find yourself running out
of time. (I alone, never mind the other posters, have outlined a lot
more than a week's possibilities.) There's always next year!

--Joe
Old January 21st, 2011, 09:35 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Ad absurdum per aspera[_2_]

The Chiricahuas have some nice hiking. *

http://www.latimes.com/travel/la-tr-...8.photogallery
has a picture of some scenery there (#4), and other pix of a few other
places mentioned in this thread (25, 28, 35, 35, fr'instance), many
with a link to a story they've run on the subject.

--Joe
Old January 29th, 2011, 06:52 AM
buckbear buckbear is offline
Member

I'd say your stats are strong, and you have a pretty good shot at all of the schools you mentioned. You're a male from a mid west state, which actually makes it a bit easier (as opposed to being a female from NY or something). Keep your grades up, keep up your extracurriculars, and work hard in your APs. Good luck.
Old March 6th, 2011, 10:54 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Lawrence T. Akutagawa

[...]

* * * * *
So Terry - pray tell where you did go and what you did do. Curious minds
want to know!