High-end safari lodges in South Africa?

Old April 29th, 2008, 04:03 AM posted to rec.travel.africa
[email protected]

Default High-end safari lodges in South Africa?

Hello All,

My husband and I are travelling to South Africa in late September /
early October. Most of our time will be spent in Capetown visiting a
friend. We want to take a side trip to a high-end safari lodge and
I'm hoping for more information / experiences / guidance.

My current plan is to fly to Johannesburg and then on to the Kruger
park area. I have been looking into lodges around there, reading
whatever I can find. Since most of our trip will be at our friend's
place, we can spend the extra money on a really high-end lodge and be
completely spoiled, while seeing amazing animals and scenes unlike
anything we've experienced.

So far Lion Sands Ivory Lodge looks like the best fit for us. The two
features it has that most of the others don't are (1) heated plunge
pool (sweet!) and (2) separate sitting room (so I can be active while
sweet hubby is napping).

Any advice? Several others sound great also, although the ones that
have several lodges right next to each other just end up confusing
me.

I have been reading some advice having to do with the size of the
tract of land the resort is on, and that the smaller the land, the
worse the game viewing will be. Generally. Although maybe not. Or
not ~really~. I guess people have had different experiences.

Anyway, if anyone has advice, I would be happy to hear it!

Thanks,

=Jeanette