New Liquor Policy

Old August 31st, 2006, 01:38 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Cal Ford

Default New Liquor Policy

Because from this passengers viewpoint it is not about the money but about the
convienence and the enjoyment of my Cruise. We like to have a Cocktail while
getting dressed for dinner and sometimes we like to have a glass of wine while
enjoying the Sunset.

These Lines do not allow you to buy a bottle in the gift shop for cabin use
although they used to, nor do they allow you to bring your favorite or special
bottle of wine aboard. But if you do manage to bring it aboard and do bring it
to the Dinning Room they are willing to open it and serve it for a hefty fee.

This sort of attitude on the part of Management is what is going to put a damper
on the growth of Mass Market Cruising. It is already to the point that my wife
and I would rather just fly somewhere and drive around than put up with all this
nonsense.

Cal Ford
Lido Deck Cruises

So what if it's about revenue? Do you teach your kids to break the
rules to save a few bucks? Why is cheap booze so important?
Thumper

Old August 31st, 2006, 01:39 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Cal Ford

And if you bring a bottle of wine to the Dining Room will the Waiter report you
or charge a Corking Fee .... ????

Cal

In article 40kJg.14552$lv.4826@fed1read12, Nonnymus says...

I wonder if the cabin stewards will report finding alcohol in the cabins.

Nonnymus---
For those of you who might
not have guessed it, this
Is not my real name.

Old August 31st, 2006, 01:46 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Surfer E2468

Do not know how they do it,but i know someone that consumed a 1 liter
bottle of vodka every day for over 3 years,besides drinking a lot of red
wine every day also,glad she is no longer in our family.

cruise lover

Old September 1st, 2006, 12:17 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Dillon Pyron

Thus spake "Jeff H" :

snip

And finally, how do you know the boob job cost $5K? VBG

Because it seems that women with store bought boobs (as a friend
called hers) always let you know how much more they cost than someone
else's. Considering some of the $5K jobs I've seen, I'd hate to see a
$2K job.

--
dillon

If you can't figure out how to unmunge my
address, email me and I'll explain it.
Old September 3rd, 2006, 06:51 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Dillon Pyron

Thus spake "-hh" :

D.Reid wrote:
"Odysseus" wrote:

snip

...and for the frugality-oriented consumer, can be made even more
affordable by dodging the more common profit centers. Such as the
ship's bar by BYOB.

There are a few different classes of people on board. There are those
like me, who don't drink enough to notice the difference. There are
those who like the occansional drink in their stateroom but can't,
according to the policy. There are those who are going to get
snokered but don't have the smarts to bring booze on board. Then
there are those who are going to get drunk and do think far enough in
advance to BYOB. The third group are the most adversly affected by
the cost, the second group is affected by the convienicance. The last
group is affected by the policy and the cost. Two groups, therefore,
contribute directly to the profit center against their will, a third
is affected in their ability to have the occasional drink in their
stateroom and the fourth isn't really affected at all.

Overall, any story about some guests becoming blasted is irrelevant to
the RCCL's "no BYOB" liquor policy unless it can be definitively
demonstrated that those guests couldn't have possibly imbibed of the
alcohol being offered by the cruise line...ie, all sources of liquor
onboard the ship had been closed to all guests for 8+ hourrs.

The liability issue recently came up. RCI's most recent MOB involved
a "gentleman" who apparently got plowed on liquor they "smuggled"
aboard and then, according to the best surveilance video available,
pulled one of the classic "hold my beer and watch this" stunts. I
think this, more that the profit center, has affected their decision,
since litigation is a cost center, and cutting expenses is a bottom
line decision more that profit centers are. This observation is made
by someone who has had P&L responsibilites for 10 years.

If you can't demonstrate that, then you're effectively only arguing
about how much money the drunk spent.

Can't disagree with that statement.

-hh

Old September 5th, 2006, 08:48 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Cal Ford

If you check the fine print at most Hotels in tourist areas you will find that
there is a local ordinance prohibiting alcohol consumption in your room. Local
governments love to tax travelers and they are not making any money if you are
drinking your own stuff.

Cal Ford
Lido Deck Cruises

In article , Odysseus says...

In article ,
says...

On Wed, 30 Aug 2006 14:05:02 -0400, "F." wrote:

I bet you bring your own steak to a restaurant and have them cook it.

There's a big difference between consuming it in one of their
restaurants and consuming it in a room. I've been in many hotels that
have restaurants but not one has searched my luggage to prevent me
from bringing alcohol into a room.

The Monteleone in New Orleans has a policy that you have to pay $10 a
bottle to bring alcohol to your room. But, they don't search your
bags.

Old September 7th, 2006, 10:35 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Dillon Pyron

Thus spake Cal Ford :

If you check the fine print at most Hotels in tourist areas you will find that
there is a local ordinance prohibiting alcohol consumption in your room. Local
governments love to tax travelers and they are not making any money if you are
drinking your own stuff.

At the W in San Francisco, it was on the bottom of the page in the
room service menu for booze. It said something to the effect of "we
reserve the right to collect a $200 service fee for any outside
alcohol consumed in your room". I don't know what the exact wording
was, but I DO remember it being 200 smackers.

And I'll bet they paid snitches a reward that was more than they'd
make in tips.

Old September 9th, 2006, 02:53 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Brian[_1_]

On Thu, 07 Sep 2006 16:35:40 -0500, Dillon Pyron
wrote:

At the W in San Francisco, it was on the bottom of the page in the
room service menu for booze. It said something to the effect of "we
reserve the right to collect a $200 service fee for any outside
alcohol consumed in your room". I don't know what the exact wording
was, but I DO remember it being 200 smackers.

And I'll bet they paid snitches a reward that was more than they'd
make in tips.

That's a little late to give notice. It's not even in a place many
people would look. After all, if someone has liquor, why would they
get it from room service?
Old September 10th, 2006, 07:37 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Dillon Pyron

Thus spake Brian :

wrote:

At the W in San Francisco, it was on the bottom of the page in the
room service menu for booze. It said something to the effect of "we
reserve the right to collect a $200 service fee for any outside
alcohol consumed in your room". I don't know what the exact wording
was, but I DO remember it being 200 smackers.

And I'll bet they paid snitches a reward that was more than they'd
make in tips.

That's a little late to give notice. It's not even in a place many
people would look. After all, if someone has liquor, why would they
get it from room service?

Ah, and now you have the idea of what they are doing. At least RCCL
is warning you in the very fine print before you try to smuggle it
aboard.