Why Has This Group Become A Dump For Everything But Cruise Topics??

Old April 7th, 2008, 04:10 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Harry Boer

Default Why Has This Group Become A Dump For Everything But Cruise Topics??

I am a lurker and for the last year this group is just one big ad for
everthing but cruise topics..where are the moderators??

Old April 7th, 2008, 04:40 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Charles[_1_]

In article nPqKj.32446$rd2.11060@pd7urf3no, Harry Boer
wrote:

I am a lurker and for the last year this group is just one big ad for
everthing but cruise topics..where are the moderators??

There are no moderators. This is an unmoderated Usenet newsgroup.

As for the ads. The main problem is coming from bots taking advantage
of an exploit on Google Groups. A massive flood of spam abuse has been
hitting all the Usenet newsgroups the last few weeks that has been
inserted through Google Groups. The spammers are exploiting the upload
files feature of Google Groups that enables them to publish a script on
Google Groups. *If the spam is opened on Google Groups it may redirect
the user who opens it to a porn or other website. Nothing will happen
if it is opened on a newsgroup using a Usenet newsreader like Outlook
Express. It is just a major annoyance if you use a standard Usenet
newsreader. Google Groups have received thousands of complaints so they
must be well aware of it although they have not acknowledged it . I
have given up sending them complaints. None knows when or even if
Google will plug this exploit.

A growing number of Usenet users are filtering out all Google Groups
posts because of this. You have to have a newsreader that filters on
message ID (which Outlook Express does not do) or add a program that
does that before your newsreader pulls the posts first if you use a
reader like Outlook Express (News Proxy). You can read about filtering
Google Groups out at the Usenet Improvement Project.

http://improve-usenet.org/

Unfortunately what they advocate is a blunt force approach. It works
but if one does it, that means any legitimate user of Google Groups
also gets filtered out. In many Usenet groups that does not matter
much. So I have done that filtering. In most tech groups the regular
users don't*use Google Groups to read and post from. They would not be
caught dead using Google Groups. But on recreation and other groups
like this newsgroup there are a number of regular users who
unfortunately use Google Groups to read and post from. I wish they did
not. So unless you can white list users in addition to filtering out
Google Groups, some regulars would be kill filed with the blunt force
filtering out of all Google Groups posts. With my newsreader I will be
able to white list the regulars using Google Groups from the spam but I
fear others will use the blunt force filtering or give up the newsgroup
altogether.

--
Charles
Old April 7th, 2008, 07:38 PM posted to alt.comp.freeware,news.software.readers,rec.travel.cruises
Krazee Brenda[_2_]

On Mon, 07 Apr 2008 11:40:13 -0400, Charles wrote:

A growing number of Usenet users are filtering out all Google Groups
posts because of this. You have to have a newsreader that filters on
message ID (which Outlook Express does not do) or add a program that
does that before your newsreader pulls the posts first if you use a
reader like Outlook Express (News Proxy). You can read about filtering
Google Groups out at the Usenet Improvement Project.

http://improve-usenet.org/

Only a cretin would believe such rot, a retard would implement.
--
See Brenda's UniWorldWare
http://tinyurl.com/nm2yt
Old April 7th, 2008, 07:42 PM posted to alt.comp.freeware,news.software.readers,rec.travel.cruises
Dan Camper

On Mon, 7 Apr 2008 14:38:04 -0400, Krazee Brenda wrote:

On Mon, 07 Apr 2008 11:40:13 -0400, Charles wrote:

A growing number of Usenet users are filtering out all Google Groups
posts because of this. You have to have a newsreader that filters on
message ID (which Outlook Express does not do) or add a program that
does that before your newsreader pulls the posts first if you use a
reader like Outlook Express (News Proxy). You can read about filtering
Google Groups out at the Usenet Improvement Project.

http://improve-usenet.org/

Only a cretin would believe such rot, a retard would implement.

Got that right.

I love the Beatles!!
Old April 7th, 2008, 07:46 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Charles[_1_]

In article , Krazee Brenda
wrote:

On Mon, 07 Apr 2008 11:40:13 -0400, Charles wrote:

A growing number of Usenet users are filtering out all Google Groups
posts because of this. You have to have a newsreader that filters on
message ID (which Outlook Express does not do) or add a program that
does that before your newsreader pulls the posts first if you use a
reader like Outlook Express (News Proxy). You can read about filtering
Google Groups out at the Usenet Improvement Project.

http://improve-usenet.org/

Only a cretin would believe such rot, a retard would implement.

My Chrissy Sock Puppet detector went off on this post. So.....

PLONK!

--
Charles
Old April 8th, 2008, 07:29 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Brian K[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

Even with Mozilla Thunderbird it is possible to build the equivalent to
a case structure for spam filtering a newsgroup.
Under the Messages menu, select Create Filter From Message. The default
is "From is email address". This can be setup as "Subject contains
(keyword)" Use only one keyword such as "Wholesale" click the '+' to
add another line of "Subject contains (keyword)" add as many of these
to cover the scope of subjects you want to filter. At the top select the
radio button "Match any of the following" -- I think that's equivalent
to a logical OR.. That handles variable subjects and by passes
filtering on email address.

For the action to take, select Delete Message. I don't think it's an
actual Delete Message as only the author can do that. But the end result
is that the spam isn't amongst the messages that have been downloaded
off the news server.

Anyway, that's the way I deal with advertisements and other junk where
filtering the email address proves unreliable.

--
________
Brian M. Kochera
Old April 8th, 2008, 04:46 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises,soc.support.fat-acceptance,alt.elvis.king
Orion Groupie

On Apr 8, 4:58*am, Kathy Mosesian wrote:
On 07 Apr 2008, "Harry Boer" posted somenews:nPqKj.32446$rd2.11060@pd7urf3no:

I am a lurker and for the last year this group is just one big ad for
everthing but cruise topics..where are the moderators??

Why don't you ask the guy who likes to spam his homo gay turd stirring
cruises all over the Internet? * There are no moderators. *This is a
public alley. *Crap anywhere you want.

http://www.elvisfantasyfest.com/2007ElvisCruise.html There enjoy
take a cruise, and take Allen with ya.
Old April 8th, 2008, 07:20 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises,soc.support.fat-acceptance,alt.elvis.king
ORION the GREAT!

On Apr 8, 4:58*am, Kathy Mosesian wrote:
On 07 Apr 2008, "Harry Boer" posted somenews:nPqKj.32446$rd2.11060@pd7urf3no:

I am a lurker and for the last year this group is just one big ad for
everthing but cruise topics..where are the moderators??

Why don't you ask the guy who likes to spam his homo gay turd stirring
cruises all over the Internet? * There are no moderators. *This is a
public alley. *Crap anywhere you want.

no thanks YOU can pester him about that ****.

keep that perverted garbage up your ass where your head usually
resides... cross posting whore.

Old April 8th, 2008, 07:20 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises,soc.support.fat-acceptance,alt.elvis.king
ORION the GREAT!

On Apr 8, 11:46*am, Orion Groupie wrote:
On Apr 8, 4:58*am, Kathy Mosesian wrote:

On 07 Apr 2008, "Harry Boer" posted somenews:nPqKj.32446$rd2.11060@pd7urf3no:

I am a lurker and for the last year this group is just one big ad for
everthing but cruise topics..where are the moderators??

Why don't you ask the guy who likes to spam his homo gay turd stirring
cruises all over the Internet? * There are no moderators. *This is a
public alley. *Crap anywhere you want.

http://www.elvisfantasyfest.com/2007ElvisCruise.html* * There enjoy
take a cruise, and take Allen with ya.

allen should take his tiki mask with him on that one.

Old April 8th, 2008, 07:44 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises,soc.support.fat-acceptance,alt.elvis.king
ORION the GREAT!

On Apr 8, 4:58*am, Kathy Mosesian wrote:
On 07 Apr 2008, "Harry Boer" posted somenews:nPqKj.32446$rd2.11060@pd7urf3no:

I am a lurker and for the last year this group is just one big ad for
everthing but cruise topics..where are the moderators??

Why don't you ask the guy who likes to spam his homo gay turd stirring
cruises all over the Internet? * There are no moderators. *This is a
public alley. *Crap anywhere you want.

why don't you stop crapping all over other's groups... you cross
post? ok, ok... we'll cross post right after you...step right this
way you ignorant gay hating turd mixing vaginally cleft whore puss
bucket.