Dawn Princess or Celebrity Galaxy?

Old November 18th, 2003, 03:45 AM
DSDiva

Default Dawn Princess or Celebrity Galaxy?

Which do most prefer?

I think I've narrowed our southern carib. choices to these.

Any advice?
Thanks,
Sandi
Old November 19th, 2003, 12:32 AM
Tom & Linda

I didn't know Galaxy was going the Southern Caribbean.

I like the Dawn Princess class - we were on the Ocean Princess when she
was about 3 weeks old and in pristine condition. It was our first
Princess cruise. A year later we went on Dawn and she, about 2 years
older, was showing much more wear and tear. Definitely not in as good
shape.

Galaxy is about the same age, but Celebrity tends to take better care of
their ships.

I'd rate Celebrity food a little better. Dawn has more balcony cabins,
with some balcony quads. Galaxy has a solarium pool while Dawn doesn't.

Galaxy has traditional dining (which I prefer), while Princess does
personal choice. There are times of the day when Galaxy's buffet is
closed, but Dawn's is open, but some of those times - like late evening,
all you get is vinyl tasting desserts.

Galaxy might be a bit more "elegant". A bit more chic. Neither is big
on entertainment. Both have no-announcement policies which I think is
nice.

Unless you wanted a balcony quad - which only Dawn has (unless you book
a suite on Galaxy) - I'd go with Galaxy "by a little". But not
overwhelming, since I like both.

Which itinerary do you like more?

--Tom

Old November 19th, 2003, 01:36 AM
DSDiva

Unless you wanted a balcony quad - which only Dawn has (unless you book
a suite on Galaxy) - I'd go with Galaxy "by a little". But not
overwhelming, since I like both.

Which itinerary do you like more?

--Tom

Thank you for your very constuctive and thoughtful advice. I was leaning toward
the Galaxy, but now we are going to leave from NY on the NCL Dawn, just to save
airfare and for the convienience (since we live here)... I am being considered
for a performing position on Celebrity, so I will probably have the
opportuinity to experience life on a Celebrity ship for a long time and for
free. ;-)
I appreciate the advice.
Happy Cruising!
Sandi

Old November 19th, 2003, 04:21 AM
Tom & Linda

Good luck. If you get the position... keep us posted. We love to hear
from people who work on ships.

--Tom

Old November 19th, 2003, 07:27 AM
Bill C

"Tom & Linda" wrote in message
There are times of the day when Galaxy's buffet is
closed, but Dawn's is open, but some of those times - like late evening,
all you get is vinyl tasting desserts.

I'm usually up til about 2am on the ships and love to eat. I finally decide
to book something besides CCL (Caribbean Princess) to find out there's no
pizza ,or food no food of any substance except for vinyl pastries late at
night. This is a big minus as far as I'm concerned. I was under the
assumption that the Horizon Court was open 24/7 with the menu changing every
6 hours with more than just pastries late at night. :-(

Bill

Old November 19th, 2003, 10:09 AM
Howard Garland

Charles wrote:

In article , Bill C
wrote:

I don't know why Tom insists on continuing to post misinformation about
this. He was corrected previously. It must be past his bedtime and he
never stopped to get a complete look.

Does this surprise you, Charles?

Princess has a Bistro set up
between 11:00 pm and 4:00 am in the Horizon Court and you can get a
full meal.

This has been my experience on Princess ships, as well.

Howard

Old November 19th, 2003, 10:22 AM
Charles

In article , Bill C
wrote:

I'm usually up til about 2am on the ships and love to eat. I finally decide
to book something besides CCL (Caribbean Princess) to find out there's no
pizza ,or food no food of any substance except for vinyl pastries late at
night. This is a big minus as far as I'm concerned. I was under the
assumption that the Horizon Court was open 24/7 with the menu changing every
6 hours with more than just pastries late at night. :-(

I don't know why Tom insists on continuing to post misinformation about
this. He was corrected previously. It must be past his bedtime and he
never stopped to get a complete look. Princess has a Bistro set up

--
Charles
Old November 19th, 2003, 01:20 PM
Eileen Garland

Not sure why Tom thinks that - on the Golden Princess in Dec 2001 the
Horizon Court was open till at least 4:00 in the morning and had the
largest selection of food I've seen on any ship that late at night.

Eileen

Old November 19th, 2003, 05:31 PM
Bill C

"Charles" wrote in message
d...
In article , Bill C
wrote:

[...]

I hope this is true. It makes me feel better. Although I surely don't want a
full meal before bed I surely want something more than a pastry. I work
nights when home and usually don't eat dinner until about 11pm and don't hit
the sack until about 4am so it's kind of hard to switch my body clock.

Thanks
Bill

Old November 19th, 2003, 07:54 PM
Howard Garland

CupCaked wrote:

Interesting responses and worthy of saving. For some reason, I am
much more inclined to stay up until AT LEAST 2 AM when I'm cruising.

Late nights and tattoos, huh. Careful, cause you are starting to sound
like my kind of people.

Howie - still benchin