Help for a first timer!

Old November 3rd, 2004, 02:11 PM
ncurtis

"kat_d" wrote in message alkabouttravelling.com...
I was planning on taking the
smallest suitcase from my set as a carry on, I have been told that that is
acceptable.

Double-check on "acceptable"--what is OK for the flights within the
U.S. could be completely unacceptable for the trans-oceanic flights.
And double-check the weight that's permitted, as well as the linear
dimensions--some airlines are very strict about international
carry-ons.

Your flights might be AA code-shares, with the planes actually
operated by another carrier like British Airways. No big deal, but
it's a bit of a surprise if you're expecting one airline and find
yourself on another.

***No*** money or valuables in the checked luggage--it's too much of a
risk.

Enjoy the trip!

Nancy
Old November 3rd, 2004, 05:09 PM
Mimi

"PeterL" wrote in message

"kat_d" wrote in message
lkabouttravelling.com...
Hi! I have never traveled by plane before, and in November I'm on my way
to the UK. I will have 2 connecting flights on my way there, one in
Chicago and one in Brussles. All of the flights are American Airlines.

So your bags should be checked through. You shouldn't have to deal with
the
checked bag until you get to the UK. Don't use a baggage lock unless it's
one of those approved lock, or they'll cut it anyway. Just tie the zipper
together with one of those plastic bag tags you get in the grocery store.

Get to the airport 3 hours ahead of flight time. Make sure you have your
passport with you (you'd be surprised how many people put the passport in
the checked luggage) and it's valid for at least 6 months. Carry any
prescription medicine with you, and a change of clothing. You never know
when someone may spill something on you on the flight.

Prescription medicine should be in pharmacy-labelled containers. Also don't
put anything liquid in your checked baggage--unless it's sealed really,
really well. I always bring my toiletries bag on board, also spare glasses,
itinerary, etc. Basically bring on board anything it would be difficult to
replace.

Have a great time,

Marianne

Old November 4th, 2004, 01:28 AM
kat_d

Thanks so much for the help so far, I'm glad to know that I won't have to
get my bag on my way there. On the way home I have longer connection
times (3 and 4 hours) so I think that should be enough. I thought of
another question...with all of the security checks, would it be quicker if
I didn't wear as much jewelery as normal? (3 pairs of earrings, necklace,
watch, rings) These are probably dumb questions, but I want it to be a
smooth trip Thanks!

Old November 4th, 2004, 01:28 AM
Mark Brader

"Mimi" writes:
... Also don't put anything liquid in your checked baggage--unless
it's sealed really, really well.

I use Ziploc bags.

Remember that although the plane cabin is pressurized, it isn't
pressurized to full sea-level pressure. When you're cruising at
40,000 feet, the indoor air pressure is about what it would be at
about 8,000 feet without pressurization. The baggage hold is within
the pressure hold, so it undergoes the same pressure changes that
you experience at your seat.

If you are carrying a liquid that comes in a semi-rigid plastic
bottle, the way things like shampoos often do, then when you pack
the stuff, you should squeeze out as much air as you can from the
bottle. Then recap it tightly and put it in a Ziploc bag -- and
squeeze the air out of the bag as well, just before you complete
the seal. When the remaining air expands under the reduced pressure,
the bottle cap and the bag should be sufficient to keep the liquid
from being forced out.

The worst case is stuff that comes in a fully rigid bottle which
is now only half-full. I'd tighten the cap as hard as I could and
then put two layers of Ziploc bags around it.

Don't forget to do all this when you're coming home, too.

Carrying the bottle in carry-on is an additional precaution: it means
that you're more likely to notice a leak and be able to fix it. It
*may* also mean that you'll be able to keep the bottle upright, which
will keep it from leaking at the cap. However, if your carry-on bag
is somewhere where you can't see it, you won't spot that leak anyway.
Personally, I'd rather put toiletries in checked baggage (with multiple
layers of protection if necessary) and have more room for things like
books in my carry-on.

Oh, by the way, if you like carbonated soft drinks (as I do), you
will have noticed that you tend to swallow some gas with the drink.
Because of the pressure changes in flight, it's a good idea to avoid
these drinks for a couple of hours before departure.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto "I don't have *any* minions any more."
-- Clive Feather

Old November 4th, 2004, 02:15 AM
Rita

On Wed, 03 Nov 2004 20:28:27 -0500, "kat_d" wrote:

Thanks so much for the help so far, I'm glad to know that I won't have to
get my bag on my way there. On the way home I have longer connection
times (3 and 4 hours) so I think that should be enough. I thought of
another question...with all of the security checks, would it be quicker if
I didn't wear as much jewelery as normal? (3 pairs of earrings, necklace,
watch, rings) These are probably dumb questions, but I want it to be a
smooth trip Thanks!

I would not travel with any jewelry of any value. It is just
silly to do so. Do you need to wear it on the flight? If you
want to go through the trouble of divesting yourself of your
gew-gaws when going through numerous metal detectors, it is
really up to you. I'd spare myself. As a first time traveler
you need your wits about you, not jewelry to worry about. That
is really a no brainer, isn't it?

Old November 4th, 2004, 07:26 AM
Shawn Hearn

In article
outtravelling.com,
"kat_d" wrote:

Thanks so much for the help so far, I'm glad to know that I won't have to
get my bag on my way there. On the way home I have longer connection
times (3 and 4 hours) so I think that should be enough. I thought of
another question...with all of the security checks, would it be quicker if
I didn't wear as much jewelery as normal? (3 pairs of earrings, necklace,
watch, rings) These are probably dumb questions, but I want it to be a
smooth trip Thanks!

I agree. For important articles such as my wrist watch, I just wear
a cheap watch and it goes into my carry-on bag when I am ready to
pass through the inspection point, along with my cell phone and PDA. I
also avoid wearing shoes withmetal in them. I wear a pair of sneakers.
In all the years I have traveled by air, I have only been asked to
remove my shoes once. The less metal you carry on board a flight, the
easier it is to pass through the carry-on luggage inspection station.

Old November 4th, 2004, 04:07 PM
JamesStep

I also avoid wearing shoes with metal in them...
In all the years I have traveled by air, I have only
been asked to remove my shoes once.

I agree it might save time at security if you don't have
metal objects on you, but on several flights I've seen
security ask *everyone* to put their shoes on the
conveyor belt along with their luggage for x-ray inspection.

James

Remove "NOSPAM" from my address when sending me e-mail.
-
Old November 4th, 2004, 05:26 PM
ncurtis

"kat_d" wrote in message alkabouttravelling.com...
Thanks so much for the help so far, I'm glad to know that I won't have to
get my bag on my way there. On the way home I have longer connection
times (3 and 4 hours) so I think that should be enough. I thought of
another question...with all of the security checks, would it be quicker if
I didn't wear as much jewelery as normal? (3 pairs of earrings, necklace,
watch, rings) These are probably dumb questions, but I want it to be a
smooth trip Thanks!

Not to worry--dumb is when you try to pass security screening with,
umm, jewelry worn in very private places. Or "appliances" worn in said
places.

Here's what happens with security. You w-a-i-t on line (don't wear
high heels unless you're so used to them you can't wear flats). You
wave a foot at a TSA agent, who either passes you on, tells you to
take your shoes off to run through the scanner, or has you test your
shoes on a box with a metal detector inside. You step up to the
scanner and remove your coat, hat, pocketbook/fanny pack, and anything
that might conceivably set off a metal detector. If you have
non-removable metal--bone screws, embedded shrapnel, a medical
device--you alert an agent...and hopefully have the official
documentation to back up your claims. You put everything that goes
through the scanner in a tray or 2 and place that on the conveyor
belt. You wait until another TSA agent waves you through the metal
detector. Flunk that, and you get to remove things and go back again.
Flunk more than once and you'll get a once-over with a metal detector.
In the mean time, of course, the valuables you sent through the
scanner are out of reach, so you're trying to keep an eye on them.

Wear the jewelry if you like, but get ALL of it off and in a sealed
container (say, a zip-lock bag in your pocketbook) when you enter the
security line. Don't let the person in front of you trap you with
repeated passes through the metal detector while *your* metal and
money travels out of sight through the scanner and beyond--this scam
dates well before 9/11. And watch out for those *&^%$! poorly designed
terminals where you have to do the whole screening rigmarole everytime
you want to go to the bathroom (regional AA at Logan, anyone?).

Nancy