Area between San Francisco & Yosemite??

Old April 18th, 2006, 01:50 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

Default Area between San Francisco & Yosemite??

Hi

Could someone please tell me what the area is called between San Francisco &
Yosemite
I want to refer to it on a website and google isn't throwing up a definitive
answer

TIA

Tim

Old April 18th, 2006, 04:07 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

Tim wrote:
Hi

Could someone please tell me what the area is called between San Francisco &
Yosemite
I want to refer to it on a website and google isn't throwing up a definitive
answer

There are many "areas" between SF and Yosemite.

Central Valley, Gold Country, San Joaquim Delta, etc.

TIA

Tim

Old April 18th, 2006, 04:29 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

Tim wrote:
Hi

Could someone please tell me what the area is called between San
Francisco & Yosemite
I want to refer to it on a website and google isn't throwing up a
definitive answer

There are many "areas" between SF and Yosemite.

Central Valley, Gold Country, San Joaquim Delta, etc.

TIA

Tim

Hi, thanks for your replies

I was hoping to be able to describe the drive from SF to Yosemite in one
simple phrase like saying "we drove North through Marin County" but I guess
that's not to be
Our route roughly was

Oakland H680
Dublin H580
Tracy H250
Merced H99
then picked up H140 to Yosemite

Cheers

Tim

Old April 18th, 2006, 07:13 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

It wasn't just a vacation; it was an example of how many physiographic
and sociopolitical regions you can traverse in a surprisingly short
distance when traveling east-west in California. There is no one
name for it, but mostly you went across and down and then further
across the San Joaquin Valley, sometimes lumped together with its
northern half and called the Central Valley.

This will give you an idea of what people mean:
http://fermi.jhuapl.edu/states/avhrr...aug01_2047.gif
Yosemite is a bit south and west of Mono Lake, the roundish lake that
at roughly 38 north, 119 west, is a bit higher than smack in the
middle.

The number of counties involved is well illustrated by
http://fermi.jhuapl.edu/states/maps1/ca_c.gif
which shows that they tend to be short and wide in that part of the
state. If, to take your example, ""we drove North through Marin
County"" (and even then kept going for quite a while), you go through
the same general kind of thing for quite a while. (This is especially
true if you stick to the major highways, which tend to find faster
routes on flatter ground as well as perhaps more economic purpose by
following valleys.)

These are important kinds of maps -- the history of the settlement and
economy of California practically rolls right off of maps like these
when you look at them for a long time and think about how people could
get into the state (especially in the early days -- flying in and
seeing the Sierra down around Mammoth, especially in the winter, and
imagining what that must have looked like to someone on horseback or in
a wagon, is a frequent reminder for me that some of our ancestors were
made of pretty tough stuff!), and what sort of living they might make
during various periods, and what their descendants do now.

Cheers,
--Joe

Old April 18th, 2006, 11:20 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

On 18 Apr 2006 11:13:22 -0700, "Ad absurdum per aspera"
wrote:

It wasn't just a vacation; it was an example of how many physiographic
and sociopolitical regions you can traverse in a surprisingly short
distance when traveling east-west in California. There is no one
name for it, but mostly you went across and down and then further
across the San Joaquin Valley, sometimes lumped together with its
northern half and called the Central Valley.

And sometimes the Great Central Valley.

Old April 19th, 2006, 10:45 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

Tim wrote:
Could someone please tell me what the area is called between San
Francisco & Yosemite I want to refer to it on a website and google
isn't throwing up a definitive answer

California.

-- __________________________________________________ ______________
A San Franciscan in 47.452 mileĀ² San Francisco.
http://geocities.com/dancefest/ --- http://geocities.com/iconoc/
ICQ: http://wwp.mirabilis.com/19098103 ------- IClast at Gmail com

Old April 19th, 2006, 11:50 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

Tim wrote:
Could someone please tell me what the area is called between San
Francisco & Yosemite I want to refer to it on a website and google
isn't throwing up a definitive answer

Depends upon the route taken.

Specific answers require specific questions. Don't believe me? See
the vague question I asked a day or two ago.

Our route roughly was

Ah.

Oakland H680

The East Bay.

Dublin H580

Outer ex-urbia.

Tracy H250
Merced H99

The Valley meaning the San Joaquin Valley or the Sacramento-San
Joaquin Valley.

then picked up H140 to Yosemite

The Foothills meaning the Sierra Foothills.

Keith W asked:
Whats hard about saying "Drive east to Yosemite" ?

It's vague.

Old April 19th, 2006, 01:02 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

"Icono Clast" wrote in message
om...

Keith W asked:
Whats hard about saying "Drive east to Yosemite" ?

It's vague.

Actually I prefer the term generic

Keith