UK closed

Old April 15th, 2010, 11:22 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Hatunen

Default UK closed

On Fri, 16 Apr 2010 00:44:23 +0200, Martin
wrote:

On Thu, 15 Apr 2010 15:02:11 -0700, Hatunen wrote:

On Thu, 15 Apr 2010 14:29:16 -0500, erilar
wrote:

Is that going to affect travel to Germany in the immediate future?

Not if you take take the train.

and fly via Madrid?

Why would you fly via Madrid to get to Germany if you're taking
the train?

Old April 15th, 2010, 11:26 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Mark Brader

William Black:
Currently all planes have been grounded in the UK, Ireland, the
Netherlands, Belgium, Denmark, Norway, Sweden and Finland, France is
about to ground everything.

Details at:

Evelyn Gamble:
Wow! I realize the U.S. (especially the state of Arizona) is decidedly
insular, but you'd think something with that much international impact
would at least have been MENTIONED on Wednesday's "Nightly News"!!!

To be fair, at that time there was only only the eruption itself to
report on, and volcanoes in Iceland aren't exactly big news. The
international impact happened today (Thursday).
--
Mark Brader "He'll spend at least part of his life
Toronto in prison, or parliament, or both."
Old April 15th, 2010, 11:27 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Mark Brader

Is that going to affect travel to Germany in the immediate future?

Not if you take take the train.

Oh yeah? How many additional people are going to be dumped onto the
railway system?
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | A driver I know is getting uncomfortably close to
Old April 15th, 2010, 11:28 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
erilar

wrote:

Is that going to affect travel to Germany in the immediate future?

Not if you take take the train.

I prefer trains, but there's too much water between the US and Germany.

--
Erilar, biblioholic medievalist

http://www.mosaictelecom.com/~erilarlo
Old April 15th, 2010, 11:47 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Hatunen

wrote:

Is that going to affect travel to Germany in the immediate future?

Not if you take take the train.

and fly via Madrid?

Why would you fly via Madrid to get to Germany if you're taking
the train?

How else will she get from the US to Europe?

Most of Northern Europe is closed to air travel.

Duh. I got the idea in my head she was travelling from the UK.

Never mind...

But the train is still a good idea if the ash stays.

Old April 15th, 2010, 11:48 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne, _the_ chancellor[_2_]

Surreyman wrote:

No air flights not nowhere in or out of the UK today.
Total chaos of course.
I live near Heathrow and at 5.30 p.m. the skies are sunny, clear and
blue.
Where's that volcanic fall-out then?
Did someone hit the panic button too soon, too hard?

No.

But, I'm glad I arrived back from Peru (via Amsterdam) yesterday, not
today- we'd have been waiting there the whole weekend (as half
ourluggage is!)

--
(*) of the royal duchy of city south and deansgate
www.davidhorne.net (email address on website)
Old April 15th, 2010, 11:49 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne, _the_ chancellor[_2_]

Hatunen wrote:

On Thu, 15 Apr 2010 14:43:55 -0700,
"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" wrote:

William Black wrote:
erilar wrote:
Is that going to affect travel to Germany in the immediate future?

They're not sure, but they expect that all civil flying over all of
Northern Europe will be affected for at least the next two days

.

Wow! I realize the U.S. (especially the state of Arizona) is decidedly
insular, but you'd think something with that much international impact
would at least have been MENTIONED on Wednesday's "Nightly News"!!!

NBC Nightly News mentioned the volcano last (Wednesday) evening,
and mentioned some cancelled flights, but I don't believe the
full extent became known until after that newscast.

I got back to the UK last night around 6pm, and it wasn't until the
morning news today (April 15) that it was on the news. It was pretty
unexpected from what I gather...

Old April 15th, 2010, 11:50 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Mark Brader wrote:

Is that going to affect travel to Germany in the immediate future?

Not if you take take the train.

Oh yeah? How many additional people are going to be dumped onto the
railway system?

Eurostar, for example, is now saying that people without tickets should
stay way...

Old April 15th, 2010, 11:54 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Hatunen

wrote:

Is that going to affect travel to Germany in the immediate future?

Not if you take take the train.

and fly via Madrid?

Why would you fly via Madrid to get to Germany if you're taking
the train?

How else will she get from the US to Europe?

Most of Northern Europe is closed to air travel.

It seems trans-Atlantic flights to Germany are not affected at the moment.
Eurocontrol appears to have gone off at half cock.
http://www.spiegel.de/international/...html#ref=nlint

Half-hour-old news on Yahoo from AP says Hamburg and Berlin were
closed as of Thursday evening.

Old April 16th, 2010, 05:25 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Jean O'Boyle[_3_]

William Black wrote:
erilar wrote:
Is that going to affect travel to Germany in the immediate future?

They're not sure, but they expect that all civil flying over all of
Northern Europe will be affected for at least the next two days

Currently all planes have been grounded in the UK, Ireland, the
Netherlands, Belgium, Denmark, Norway, Sweden and Finland, France is
about to ground everything.

Details at:

.

Wow! I realize the U.S. (especially the state of Arizona) is decidedly
insular, but you'd think something with that much international impact
would at least have been MENTIONED on Wednesday's "Nightly News"!!! We
got plenty of rehashing of political issues and the state's "budget
crisis", along with local crime news. Nary a WORD about Icelandic
volcanoes! Interesting that the news story mentions the effects of an
1821 eruption lasting for two years - that was before jet aircraft. How
might a similar situation affect worldwide air travel, now?

You apparently have not been watching the right newcasts...I heard several
times yesterday about the isolated volcano erruption in Iceland and today it
was repeated numerous times and the effect of it air travel over the North
Atlantic between US and Europe. It even showed rows of planes standing at
Heathrow Airport not being able to fly due to the volcanic ash. They told of
the danger of the ash getting into the jet engines and the heat
crystallizing it into glass particles that would be extremely harmful to the
engines.You must broaden your sources of news, Evelyn...it surely was there.
You might try listening to more than one newscast. Maybe then you would be
less critical of the USA.

Several U.S. flights bound for including those from Heathrow, Chicago,
Denver, Las Vegas and New York, had to return to their departure cities or
land elsewhere when London airports were closed. Canadian airlines also
canceled some Europe-bound flights. Britain's air traffic service said early
Friday it was extending a ban on most air traffic until 7 p.m. local time on
Friday.
Authorities in Ireland, Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Finland and Belgium also
closed their air space. France shut down 24 airports, including the main hub
of Charles de Gaulle in Paris, Germany's Berlin and Hamburg were shut
Thursday evening, and several flights out of the U.S. had to double
back...so you see, it was very well covered.

--Jean