Medications in Germany

Old April 30th, 2010, 08:44 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Lava

Default Medications in Germany

I will be going to Germany for a few months. I have some physical
conditions and are on pain medications. How would I handle this in Germany?
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Lava

Old April 30th, 2010, 11:53 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
tim....

"Lava" wrote in message
I will be going to Germany for a few months. I have some physical
conditions and are on pain medications. How would I handle this in
Germany? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I would try and take all medicines that you need with you.

It's difficult getting as much as a cough sweet out of a pharmacist without
a prescription in Germany

tim

Old May 1st, 2010, 01:59 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Runge121

Bring your prescriptions and your money.
Alternatively, bring your prescriptions and visit a doctor once in Germany.
If you live in the EEC, no prob bring your E111, but as you mention no
country we can guess you are from the US...
The only country in the world besides savageland...
Anyway bring your money.

Old May 1st, 2010, 06:01 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
PeterL

On Apr 30, 12:44*pm, "Lava" wrote:
I will be going to Germany for a few months. *I have some physical
conditions and are on pain medications. *How would I handle this in Germany?
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Lava

Prescription? Take enough to carry you thru your entire stay.
Old May 1st, 2010, 05:54 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Lava

I'm not sure what an EEC or E111 is. I will be there for 6 months. I can
only get a 90 day supply in America, but I can have the doctor write a note.
I am guessing that I can find a doctor in the Germany and other countries
that will continue my treatment.

I would rather just get regular German health insurance, because my hope is
to stay for a long while, perhaps get a job, and/or continue my education in
Hamburg or Essen.

I would ask about Santiago, I'm planning on taking two months to work on my
spanish, but I this is the wrong group. I guess, my main concern is if the
German doctors will continue my current pain management program.

Thanks again.

r...

Old May 1st, 2010, 08:20 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Runge121

Well you have to start learning fast if you never heard of the EEC...
Anyway stop acting like an american and welcome to Europe !

"Lava" a écrit dans le message de groupe de discussion :
I'm not sure what an EEC or E111 is. I will be there for 6 months. I can
only get a 90 day supply in America, but I can have the doctor write a
note. I am guessing that I can find a doctor in the Germany and other
countries that will continue my treatment.

I would rather just get regular German health insurance, because my hope
is to stay for a long while, perhaps get a job, and/or continue my
education in Hamburg or Essen.

I would ask about Santiago, I'm planning on taking two months to work on
my spanish, but I this is the wrong group. I guess, my main concern is if
the German doctors will continue my current pain management program.

Thanks again.

"Runge121" wrote in message
r...
Bring your prescriptions and your money.
Alternatively, bring your prescriptions and visit a doctor once in
Germany.
If you live in the EEC, no prob bring your E111, but as you mention no
country we can guess you are from the US...
The only country in the world besides savageland...
Anyway bring your money.

: ...

Old May 2nd, 2010, 11:18 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
tim....

"Lava" wrote in message
I'm not sure what an EEC or E111 is.

E111 is a form that all EU citizens could get to receive reciprocal health
treatment in other EU countries (and a few others). It's now been
superseded by "The European Health Insurance Card".

I will be there for 6 months. I can
only get a 90 day supply in America, but I can have the doctor write a
note. I am guessing that I can find a doctor in the Germany and other
countries that will continue my treatment.

If you pay him he will.

The German Health system is very easy to use if someone is paying the bill!

I would rather just get regular German health insurance, because my hope
is to stay for a long while, perhaps get a job, and/or continue my
education in Hamburg or Essen.

You won't get regular German insurance without the job (or perhaps the
student status). But as you seem to be an American you won't get either of
these without a valid visa. Do you have that?

Realistically, I think that you will need to buy an international health
insurance policy before you go.

tim

Old May 2nd, 2010, 10:15 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tom P[_6_]

Lava wrote:
I will be going to Germany for a few months. I have some physical
conditions and are on pain medications. How would I handle this in
Germany? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Lava

You said on the post further down you'd be there 6 months.
You don't tell us what country you live in so we'll have to guess. And
assuming you are talking about prescription medication. Some pain
killers like Ibuprofen can be bought over the counter in lower dosages
but are very expensive. However, there is no way you are going to get
prescription medicine without a prescription.

In this case, regardless where you live or where you come from, you'll
have to go to a physician and ask him to prescribe the medication. If
you live in an EU country you can get appropriate documentation from
your health authority before you travel which allow the physician to get
his fees back under a reciprocal agreement.
Or, you can simply visit a physician as a private patient, pay his fees
and try and sort out the bills when you get home.
Either way - no prescription - no medication. Period.

T.

Old May 3rd, 2010, 08:03 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Martin[_11_]

Lava wrote:
Thank you so very much! It will be in Germany. So I guess I will do that.

I love this group!

If you have to go to a Geramn hospital in an emergency and have non
German private insurance you can have problems. I did.