buying Euros for Sept.?

Old May 3rd, 2010, 11:22 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
marc4ucb

Default buying Euros for Sept.?

I am planning on traveling to Europe in late September. I suspect
that the Euro will rise vs. the dollar by then.
Does it make sense to buy some Euro’s now? If I do is there a way to
keep them in an account drawing interest. I’m talking about
approximately $1,000.
Also, I haven’t decided on a destination yet. Certainly Spain and
Greece are possibilities. Will there economic difficulties translate
into bargains for a traveler with dollars to spend?
Old May 4th, 2010, 02:24 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Mxsmanic

marc4ucb writes:

I am planning on traveling to Europe in late September. I suspect
that the Euro will rise vs. the dollar by then.

Why? As long as the PIIGS are waiting for bailouts (Portugal, Ireland, Italy,
Spain, and especially Greece), all of which are basket cases that want the
rest of Europe to fund their corruption, incompetence, and irresponsibility,
the euro is unlikely to gain much against the dollar, despite the Americans'
own irresponsible and exponential spending.

Also, I haven’t decided on a destination yet. Certainly Spain and
Greece are possibilities. Will there economic difficulties translate
into bargains for a traveler with dollars to spend?

Probably. I talked to someone who just came back from vacation in Greece and
she had absolutely nothing bad to say about it at all, apparently it was
wonderful in every way.
Old May 4th, 2010, 02:36 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
PeterL

On May 3, 3:22*pm, marc4ucb wrote:
I am planning on traveling to Europe in late September. *I suspect
that the Euro will rise vs. the dollar by then.
Does it make sense to buy some Euro’s now? *If I do is there a way to
keep them in an account drawing interest. *I’m talking about
approximately $1,000.
Also, I haven’t decided on a destination yet. *Certainly Spain and
Greece are possibilities. *Will there economic difficulties translate
into bargains for a traveler with dollars to spend?

Why don't you just buy some Euro currency ETF and hedge your bet.
Old May 4th, 2010, 04:54 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
tim....

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
marc4ucb writes:

[...]

What, they didn't even complain about the toilets!

But otherwise I agree, Greece is a really friendly place to have a holiday
(and lots to see and do as well).

tim

Old May 4th, 2010, 06:37 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
James Silverton[_3_]

tim.... wrote on Tue, 4 May 2010 16:54:08 +0100:

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
marc4ucb writes:

[...]

Judging by the currency exchanges' antics today you might as well hold
onto your dollars.

Greek toilets may be ecologically sound but they have those wonderful
narrow gauge drain-pipes.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Old May 4th, 2010, 11:07 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

marc4ucb wrote:
I am planning on traveling to Europe in late September. I suspect
that the Euro will rise vs. the dollar by then.
Does it make sense to buy some Euro’s now? If I do is there a way to
keep them in an account drawing interest. I’m talking about
approximately $1,000.
Also, I haven’t decided on a destination yet. Certainly Spain and
Greece are possibilities. Will there economic difficulties translate
into bargains for a traveler with dollars to spend?

Your timing might be right to at least hedge your bets on the Euro. It hit
a one year low today, and Barrons says it's the time to buy dollars with
Euros. That would translate to good from your point of view, since your
intent is to spend those Euros, and it will be a good bet if they do indeed
rise again vs the dollar. In the amount you're talking about it probably
doesn't matter, and a short term investment will just take your time for
little predictable gain.

As for Spain or Greece, choose your favorite and go, or go somewhere else.
Greece seems the more upset by their situation, and that might not make for
fun travel at the moment, but by September they'll be back to work. Whether
either country will offer bargains, I can guarantee both will. Not because
of their financial problems, but because that is the beginning of the soft
season.

The season of the year will save you more than anything you can finagle with
exchange rates. If you really want to go on the cheap, don't stay in
tourist-class hotels. You'll sleep as well in a local place, and probably
be treated better, while saving 60-70% every night.

Keith

Old May 5th, 2010, 11:03 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
tim....

"K" wrote in message

marc4ucb wrote:
I am planning on traveling to Europe in late September. I suspect
that the Euro will rise vs. the dollar by then.
Does it make sense to buy some Euro's now? If I do is there a way to
keep them in an account drawing interest. I'm talking about
approximately $1,000.
Also, I haven't decided on a destination yet. Certainly Spain and
Greece are possibilities. Will there economic difficulties translate
into bargains for a traveler with dollars to spend?

Your timing might be right to at least hedge your bets on the Euro. It
hit a one year low today, and Barrons says it's the time to buy dollars
with Euros.

IMHO anyone who think that the only way for the Euro from here is up, is a
fool.

Look at what has driven the Euro to its new low. Has that problem gone
away? Are there more problems to come?

tim

Old May 5th, 2010, 11:54 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
BP killed my turtle

On May 5, 12:03*pm, "tim...." wrote:
"K" wrote in message

marc4ucb wrote:
[...]

let me know when a pound buy 1.5 euros again.....
Old May 5th, 2010, 01:37 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Martin[_11_]

tim.... wrote:
"K" wrote in message

marc4ucb wrote:
I am planning on traveling to Europe in late September. I suspect
that the Euro will rise vs. the dollar by then.
Does it make sense to buy some Euro's now? If I do is there a way to
keep them in an account drawing interest. I'm talking about
approximately $1,000.
Also, I haven't decided on a destination yet. Certainly Spain and
Greece are possibilities. Will there economic difficulties translate
into bargains for a traveler with dollars to spend?

Your timing might be right to at least hedge your bets on the Euro. It
hit a one year low today, and Barrons says it's the time to buy dollars
with Euros.

IMHO anyone who think that the only way for the Euro from here is up, is a
fool.

Look at what has driven the Euro to its new low. Has that problem gone
away? Are there more problems to come?

with the value of the pound certainly. UK has nobody standing by waiting
to bail out the pound.
Old May 5th, 2010, 01:38 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Martin[_11_]

BP killed my turtle wrote:
On May 5, 12:03 pm, "tim...." wrote:
"K" wrote in message

[...]