Greece; strikes n stuff.

Old May 7th, 2010, 08:53 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Alexander Arnakis[_2_]

Default Greece; strikes n stuff.

On Fri, 7 May 2010 11:13:36 -0700 (PDT), aquachimp
wrote:

Greater reliance on tourism, was what I had in mind along with being
that bit detached.

Greece's transportation system is mostly on the "hub and spoke" model.
Athens is the gateway, and if Athens is paralyzed, essentially the
whole country is. The works both going and coming -- if you manage to
get to an island during an interlude of normality, you might not be
able to get *off* the island if, for example, a ferry and airport
strike is declared. This might not be a bad thing, unless you're on a
tight schedule.

Old May 7th, 2010, 09:16 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
aquachimp

wrote:

Greater reliance on tourism, was what I had in mind along with being
that bit detached.

Greece's transportation system is mostly on the "hub and spoke" model.
Athens is the gateway, and if Athens is paralyzed, essentially the
whole country is. The works both going and coming -- if you manage to
get to an island during an interlude of normality, you might not be
able to get *off* the island if, for example, a ferry and airport
strike is declared. This might not be a bad thing, unless you're on a
tight schedule.

Hmm, but I'm flying directly in (and out) from Crete.
Old May 7th, 2010, 09:16 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
aquachimp

On May 7, 9:47*pm, Alexander Arnakis wrote:
On Fri, 7 May 2010 11:33:42 -0700 (PDT), aquachimp

wrote:

Since you're on such a role, information wise, what does "Opa" mean in
Grrek (as in Opa-Opa" inhttp://www.eurovision.tv/event/artistdetail?song=24963&event=1503
) (-:

It's just an exclamation, like "yippee."

No chance I guess that they'll go on strike during the second chorus?
Old May 7th, 2010, 11:20 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Martin[_11_]

wrote:
Greater reliance on tourism, was what I had in mind along with being
that bit detached.

Greece's transportation system is mostly on the "hub and spoke" model.
Athens is the gateway, and if Athens is paralyzed, essentially the
whole country is. The works both going and coming -- if you manage to
get to an island during an interlude of normality, you might not be
able to get *off* the island if, for example, a ferry and airport
strike is declared. This might not be a bad thing, unless you're on a
tight schedule.

It is possible to fly directly from northern Europe to some islands, for
example from Amsterdam to Rhodos.
Old May 7th, 2010, 11:21 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Martin[_11_]

wrote:

Greater reliance on tourism, was what I had in mind along with being
that bit detached.

Greece's transportation system is mostly on the "hub and spoke" model.
Athens is the gateway, and if Athens is paralyzed, essentially the
whole country is. The works both going and coming -- if you manage to
get to an island during an interlude of normality, you might not be
able to get *off* the island if, for example, a ferry and airport
strike is declared. This might not be a bad thing, unless you're on a
tight schedule.

Hmm, but I'm flying directly in (and out) from Crete.

If Greek air traffic control is on strile you are buggered.
Old May 8th, 2010, 06:53 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
aquachimp

wrote:

Greater reliance on tourism, was what I had in mind along with being
that bit detached.
Greece's transportation system is mostly on the "hub and spoke" model.
Athens is the gateway, and if Athens is paralyzed, essentially the
whole country is. The works both going and coming -- if you manage to
get to an island during an interlude of normality, you might not be
able to get *off* the island if, for example, a ferry and airport
strike is declared. This might not be a bad thing, unless you're on a
tight schedule.

Hmm, but I'm flying directly in (and out) from Crete.

If Greek air traffic control is on strile you are buggered.

Yes, double checking with the Tripadvisor "Crete forum" where someone
is asking about the it too. The air traffic control strike had that
effect, but none of the other stuff. Indeed, the attitude within the
forum seems to be on the lines of, oh, you'll be fine, all that stuff
is really only in a couple of hot spots in Athens.
Old May 8th, 2010, 10:35 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne[_2_]

Mxsmanic wrote:

aquachimp writes:

Apparently airports were shut today because of strikes. When news
bulletins say this and that about "Greece" does it also apply to its
islands. Crete for example.

Greece has long been a basket case, an island of the Third World
geographically located in Europe.

And yet they all live in larger, nicer accomodation and (even with the
country's economic problems) enjoy a higher standard of living than you.
It must be depressing to live sub-third world.

--
(*) of the royal duchy of city south and deansgate
www.davidhorne.net (email address on website)
Old May 8th, 2010, 11:33 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
JohnT[_7_]

"David Horne" wrote in message
Mxsmanic wrote:

aquachimp writes:

Apparently airports were shut today because of strikes. When news
bulletins say this and that about "Greece" does it also apply to its
islands. Crete for example.

Greece has long been a basket case, an island of the Third World
geographically located in Europe.

And yet they all live in larger, nicer accomodation and (even with the
country's economic problems) enjoy a higher standard of living than you.
It must be depressing to live sub-third world.

Mixi himself has long been a basket case; an island of the Third World

Old May 8th, 2010, 11:44 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Martin[_11_]

Mxsmanic wrote:

aquachimp writes:

Apparently airports were shut today because of strikes. When news
bulletins say this and that about "Greece" does it also apply to its
islands. Crete for example.

Greece has long been a basket case, an island of the Third World
geographically located in Europe.

And yet they all live in larger, nicer accomodation and (even with the
country's economic problems) enjoy a higher standard of living than you.
It must be depressing to live sub-third world.

Mixi himself has long been a basket case; an island of the Third World
geographically located in Europe.

Allowed to reside in France as a warning to others.
Old May 8th, 2010, 01:12 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Mxsmanic

David Horne writes:

And yet they all live in larger, nicer accomodation and (even with the
country's economic problems) enjoy a higher standard of living than you.

They do that by borrowing money that they aren't able to repay. I don't have
that option (nor do I consider it a wise practice).

And now that the bills are coming due, they're beginning to see the folly of
that policy.