Frustrations about the backpacker scene

Old February 19th, 2004, 01:49 AM
Raffi Balmanoukian

Default Frustrations about the backpacker scene

It's in Leichhardt. Land is scarce there are it's one of the hotter
areas of the Sydney market. But to try extrapolate that single sale
across the whole of Sydney is foolish.

I live in Sydney, and I assure you there's lots of decent houses to be
had for under half a million. There's also places that sell for 20
million plus.

Greg

Fair 'nuff. The point remains that costs throughout the country - and even
within small areas of the country - vary enormously. Half a mill will get
you quite different properties in various areas.

Still....SYD's prices astound me. I recently sold a thirteen YO stone and
post-and-beam house with third of an acre on the river, about 200 sm, yada
yada yada for CAD$270K and kissed the guy's hand to do it - wouldn't get you
much in SYD, Toronto (Canada), and virtually nothing in Vancouver - would
get you something mighty flash here, Adelaide, and probably would get you
half of downtown Hobart.

Half a mill for 90 sm. of crappers. Wow....

Old February 19th, 2004, 01:59 AM
Greg Pankhurst

Raffi Balmanoukian a
wrote:

in article .sympatico.ca,
Raffi Balmanoukian at wrote
on 2/18/04 8:26 PM:

In Sydney, half-a-million (AUD) wouldn't get you a toilet block in a
respectable neighbourhood

Wrong.

Not wrong:

http://unclestupid.com/article635.html

I also seem to recall a listing for a parking space around the QVB at over
$200K

Here's the original source (a little more reliable):

http://abc.net.au/news/newsitems/s747504.htm

Old February 19th, 2004, 03:10 AM
Raffi Balmanoukian

There's no doubt Sydney prices are brutal (by both Aust and
International standards). Still, it's one hell of a place :P

don't you have that backwards 8-) ??
(Love Australia. Even love Sydney, but in that instance....in my rearview
mirror....)

Old February 19th, 2004, 03:32 AM
Greg Pankhurst

Raffi Balmanoukian a
wrote:

It's in Leichhardt. Land is scarce there are it's one of the hotter
areas of the Sydney market. But to try extrapolate that single sale
across the whole of Sydney is foolish.

I live in Sydney, and I assure you there's lots of decent houses to be
had for under half a million. There's also places that sell for 20
million plus.

Fair 'nuff. The point remains that costs throughout the country - and even
within small areas of the country - vary enormously. Half a mill will get
you quite different properties in various areas.

Absolutely.

Still....SYD's prices astound me. I recently sold a thirteen YO stone and
post-and-beam house with third of an acre on the river, about 200 sm, yada
yada yada for CAD$270K and kissed the guy's hand to do it - wouldn't get you
much in SYD, Toronto (Canada), and virtually nothing in Vancouver - would
get you something mighty flash here, Adelaide, and probably would get you
half of downtown Hobart.

There's no doubt Sydney prices are brutal (by both Aust and
International standards). Still, it's one hell of a place :P

Half a mill for 90 sm. of crappers. Wow....

Be interesting to see what they do with it.

Greg