Re-booked & cannot use insurance

Old February 16th, 2006, 12:46 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Default Re-booked & cannot use insurance

I had a cruise booked with an agency. I had trouble working with the agent;
he would not lower the price even though a llower price was advertised.
Originally, we were taking the kids, but now we are not. So some changes had
to be made to the booking & the original agent was difficult. Eventually, I
spoke to a supervisor (he said the booking agent was a bit new), but I
cancelled the cruise anyway (May 06).

Because we were outside of the cancellation period, we were not penalized. I
bought insurance when I booked the cruise, the supervisor told me that since
I was 10 days past the date I bought the insurance, I could not cancel. But,
he said we could use it within the next year.

Retaining the insurance was no problem as I planned to cruise anyway, just
minus the kids. Anyway, I booked a cruise yesterday using another agency.
Called CSA today to transfer the insurance. CSA told me that I would have to
book with the agency that I bought the insurance with because it was their
product. I questioned the girl assisting me but she said the insurance could
only be used through that aagency.

I have insurance on 4 people, was going to use 2 of the insurances on the
May cruise and take a shorter one in Dec 06. Now as it stands it appears
that I may be out $250.

I asked the original agency to re-quote the cruise and they were higher than
the other agency. I've been working with an agent that I am now booked with
and like him. I REALLY do not want to book with that agency again, though I
could use another agent.

It is the same cruise, even the same dates. The only difference is the
price and a better cabin. My "policy" is from CSA, not with the original
booking agent. The only difference is that we are not with the agency that I
booked with originally. Does that seem right??

I do plan to contact my present agent for his assistance tomorrow. I just
would like to have my "ducks in a row" beforehand.I need advice from someone
more experienced!!

Old February 16th, 2006, 06:29 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

I use Travel Guard. Sounds like you just had a bad travel agent. There
are some out there.
Rate your travel agent by how well they respond to you. MIne gets back
to me with e-mail within a few hours, and sometimes instantly. I never
have to call on the telephone.
I had a Cruise cancel (the cruise line cancelled) two days before it
was to leave. We transferred the insurance to another cruise. Of course
I used the same travel agency.
Why don't you write Travel Guard a letter and ask a professional
opinion? They should know those answers.

Old February 16th, 2006, 10:16 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

lj wrote:

It is the same cruise, even the same dates. The only difference is the
price and a better cabin. My "policy" is from CSA, not with the original
booking agent. The only difference is that we are not with the agency that I
booked with originally. Does that seem right??

I'm guessing CSA doesn't want to transfer the policy to the new agency
because they've already paid commission to the old agency - becomes
kind of a bookkeeping headache for them. The original TA was the one
that sold you the policy, so they're entitled to the commission.
However, this new agency will want some compensation from CSA as well,
since you'll want them to act as their (CSA's) agent. Yet, I can't
imagine CSA wanting to pay commission to both parties. Not sure why the
policy can't stand alone and be attached to any cruise, but apparently,
it needs to stay attached to the original agency that sold it to you.
That's just my take on the situation. Not being a travel professional.
it's purely speculative, but that's what came to mind when I read your
story.

Lee

Old February 16th, 2006, 11:38 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 17:25:21 -0500, "lj" wrote:

"LeeNY" wrote in message
roups.com...
lj wrote:

[...]

That was pretty much my conversation with CSA today. I really dont care who
gets the commission and actually it should be the original agent since they
were the ones who sold it. Last cruise I did a stnad alone and had no
problem. Should've done that this time as well.

I am awaiting a call from the CSA management regarding this. Still holin'
out hope!

Make as much noise as you can. They should be able to transfer it.
Maybe you can pay a small bookkeeping fee.
Thumper
Old February 17th, 2006, 04:21 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

lj wrote:
That was pretty much my conversation with CSA today. I really dont care who
gets the commission

Right. I know you don't care, but the new TA cares. You'll expect them
to act as agents of CSA but they won't be compensated for taking on
that role. That's what I was trying to say.

Lee