art auctions

Old February 9th, 2006, 02:58 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Default art auctions

My Thomas Kinkade's were purchased for hundreds less on board than in
the local gallery. Many hundreds less. I took the paperwork and bill
of sale into my local gallery and was informed by the gallery it was a
fantastic deal and they could have never sold me what I bought for at
the price I bought for. So its not all smoke and mirrors. Shortly
after I bought "Quiet Evening" it sold out. It has increased in value
and is a signed & numbered limited edition. You buy art to enjoy. You
also invest in a nice frame to accent what you enjoy looking at. Just
like you landscape your yard to accent your house. Some people pay more
(professional vs. do it yourself) than others.....and its obvious.

Old February 10th, 2006, 11:52 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

In article , RICK
DAVIS wrote:

My Thomas Kinkade's were purchased for hundreds less on board than in
the local gallery.

I saw the TV show on Kinkade. The "works" are printed at a factory and
workers add "brushstokes" to the prints. That is not art, it is a
commodity.

Shortly after I bought "Quiet Evening" it sold out. It has increased
in value and is a signed & numbered limited edition. You buy art to
enjoy.

Then why do you keep talking about it increasing in value?

People enjoy a lot of things. That does not make them art.

--
Charles
Old February 10th, 2006, 01:26 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

I'll bet that Thomas Kincade never set eyes on your work of art. They are
mass produced prints, with a bit of touching up by an hourly employee. Did
you bid for
this piece or did you pay what they wanted? Also what is the reason for the
buyers premium?

Old February 10th, 2006, 03:23 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Charles, Not many people own and original Kinkade or any well known
artist for that matter. There can only be 1 original. Unless your
buying an unknown artists work can the average person afford an
original. Adding brush strokes is very common. Especially to canvas.
You make it sound like its an awful thing. Of course its a commodity its
a business. To mass produce a product is also the only way some people
can afford beautiful art to enjoy. But when you say its not art your
wrong. Your just being a boorish snob. Who are you the Art Police to
deem what is art and what isn't?

I never bought my pieces because I expected them to increase in value.
They just did and thats nice. I don't plan on selling. Someone else
posted that you don't buy expecting that to happen. And thats true.
You buy art because you like it. Because my sold out limited editions
did increase gives discredit to the statement that anything Park West
sells will not increase in value. I just am so tired of people in this
NG who are so negative about everything and consider themselves an
authority on a subject they know nothing about. They claim it's a
rip-off and I just proved it isn't. Again proving they don't know what
they are talking about. Like anything you buy you need to know what
your buying. Most people don't and those who who get burnt are the ones
who are negative. They are also the ones who walk into an art auction
knowing nothing of the various types of reproductions available today.
Is it also known that an original Disney Animation Cell can sell onboard
for hundreds less than at a Disney Store? Or is that a rip-off as well?
Instead they claim everything is just a poster, a copy of an original on
paper. Again untrue and uneducated on the subject.

People come to this NG looking for advice and answers to questions that
are very common to us. But cruises are new to alot of people. Believe
it or not, not everyone has been cruising for 20 years or more. To
bash something someone has a question to is wrong. There must some
positive aspect to the auctions or they wouldn't be a popular as they
are. There is just alot of misinformation that gets thrown out here on
this group. Yes copies are part of the auction, But don't forget to say
there are also originals as well. Tell the whole truth...not just
half.

Old February 10th, 2006, 03:45 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Dorthy, I paid the set price. But it was not an unlimited supply. I
think there were only 6 limited editions of 1 and a dozen of the other I
bought. But if you walk into a Kinkade gallery they are also set
prices. Thomas Kinkade doesn't set the price of any of his works. Each
work goes thru many people before it reaches the buyer. Another reason
an original work is almost impossible to get and why there is a buyers
premium. Each person along the line gets a piece of the sale. But
the set price of each on the ship was well below the Kinkade Gallery
price. People need to be educated on the prices before they buy.
Just like the average person price shops for a new washer or dryer they
need to be aware of current art prices as well.

Old February 10th, 2006, 04:44 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Rosalie, You don't need to sell a piece to know it has increased in
value. Especially on a sold out limited edition items that were
purchased for less than gallery prices to start with. Pieces do become
available thru galleries and when they do the prices continue to climb.
I do check once in a while what the last pieces sold for at auction or
thru the gallery. Thats how you know its increased in value without
selling. For instance my one has increased over $1200 from the purchase
price. That is an increase without selling.

Just because you didn't see anything worth buying doesn't mean that
every ship offers the exact same items. Or that your taste is the same
as everyone else. Just like you don't like Kinkade and I do. So if I
based my decision (as a first timer) on your review I would have never
attended any auction. I would have missed out on two great great
purchases. Again nobody said that art should purchased as an
investment. If it happens to increase thats a bonus. I've been on some
ships where I wouldn't do any of the shore tours if they gave it to me
for free. But that doesn't mean I should bash every shore tour on every
ship just because I didn't see something I liked. Thats my point.
People should be able to form their own opinion. While others should be
less negative especially on a subject they don't have a great deal of
knowledge with. Thats all. Enough said.

Old February 10th, 2006, 11:21 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

I'll bet that Thomas Kincade never set eyes on your work of art.

Hi Peanut Dorthy,

You just buried yourself with this comment. If you're going to bet on
something, it means you DON'T KNOW the answer. Give some neophytes a
chance to figure it out for themselves, and don't be adamant to prove a
point you don't know the answers to.

To Peanut BB,

Don't you fret. I've purchased four hand numbered limited edition
serio-lythagraphs and I love all of them ($90.00 to $225). However, I
also love original art, and only have a certain amount of space. One
day I'm probably going to have to sell something, and I know for a fact
that I'd be able to sell the serio-lythagraphs for, at least, what they
would be going for in a Park West gallery, and, chances are, that is
not going to go down. As I said, Peanut BB, don't you fret. If you
love it, just like a friggin' throw rug, the $225 is worth it. And
don't you dare not attend an auction for yourself. At the very least,
they're fun, and you learn something about art that you didn't know
walking in. Happy Cruisin'

Old February 10th, 2006, 11:26 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Rick,
Nobody owns an original Kinkade as they are never sold. Just his thing.
Doesn't matter if you buy through an authorized studio, directly through
him, or even on a ship, they are all the same. I have two but they were not
bought on a ship and we bought them simply because we liked them. Same for
any of the prints we have bought. We have purchased a number of Warden's
onboard again, simply because we liked them, besides, his originals go for
tens of thousands! If you like the piece they are selling and the price is
worth it to you, then have at it. If you are buying as an investment, you
will be disappointed.
Jim

Old February 11th, 2006, 12:41 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Hi, Peanut Brian K.

First, good for you on your art that went up in value. I'm assuming
you bought it because you loved it. Good for you. Second, I agree
about supporting young artists. The money is well spent no matter how
you look at it. That's another thing people should think about before
they buy art on the ship. There are real gems out there just waiting
to be bought and are truly, no doubt, authentic works of art. Happy
Cruisin'