Poll... Tried & True - vs. - Something Different

Old February 21st, 2006, 02:31 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Default Poll... Tried & True - vs. - Something Different

Just wondering...

Some people like Jean like to try a lot of different cruise lines.

I seem to find that as I go on more cruises (30+), I get more satisfaction
out of going with what I'm comfortable with. I'd rather just go on a
Celebrity ship that I like than try something different. Maybe it has a lot
to do with who we are. But maybe it also has a lot to do with the types of
careers that we've had. I've traveled a lot internationally on business
(from Rome to Tokyo to Brazil to Puerto Rico)... so seeing new things isn't
that big a deal to me. Or maybe since I'm working on something new all the
time... I like some stability when I get away from work. Maybe others
haven't traveled on business. Or maybe they have more stable type careers,
where they want more experimentation.

So what's your preference?

After working at your job the past 6 months... it's finally time for
vacation.

Do you go with what you know and trust, seeking a certain comfort level for
your vacation? Or are you more adventurous, willing to try different cruise
lines, seeking something new?

Everyone probably wants a bit of both... but as you become more experienced
with cruising, which do you find yourself preferring?

--Tom

Old February 21st, 2006, 04:42 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

"Tom K" wrote in message
Just wondering...

Some people like Jean like to try a lot of different cruise lines.

I seem to find that as I go on more cruises (30+), I get more satisfaction
out of going with what I'm comfortable with. I'd rather just go on a
Celebrity ship that I like than try something different. Maybe it has a
lot to do with who we are. But maybe it also has a lot to do with the
types of careers that we've had. I've traveled a lot internationally on
business (from Rome to Tokyo to Brazil to Puerto Rico)... so seeing new
things isn't that big a deal to me. Or maybe since I'm working on
something new all the time... I like some stability when I get away from
work. Maybe others haven't traveled on business. Or maybe they have more
stable type careers, where they want more experimentation.

So what's your preference?

I don't think that career types do not necessarily have anything to do with
it, Tom.. Having been a military wife for 30 years, we did a lot of
traveling and moving...I think it is more the sense of adventure and the
desire for diversity in life...For me, if I took the same ship over and
over, even if it were one that I truly liked, it would be boring...I like
the excitement of seeing new and different things and being a part of what
is going on ..the suspense of it is my* high!* There is so much out there
to see and do and life is so short! I treasure my friends but also enjoy
seeing and meeting people of all walks of life..Now with so many visits to
the Caribbean, sometimes the ship is probably more important to me than the
places that I have already been to many times..Not so while in the
Mediterranean as I have been there only twice and there is so much to see
there yet. I also still hope to visit the Baltics and Tahiti... So I think
it is a matter of personality and adventure..I have friends whose vacation
is a trip to their place on the lake every year and they are happy doing
just that, which is fine for them...but not me!

--Jean

Old February 21st, 2006, 09:15 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Tom:

I keep trying the new when I can do it ... new ships and new ports ...
and I feel very comfortable in this pursuit. Did I take both ends of the
question?

Aloha

Old February 21st, 2006, 12:37 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

I like to try new and different things.

Diana

Old February 21st, 2006, 01:55 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Having just completed my 33rd cruise, I could name a few that I would NOT
want to
sail again; but just a few! We've had several on each of the Celebrity,
HAL, Royal
Caribbean, Princess, and Carnival, and liked most of them. Also had one on
the
QE2 and one on Costa Riviera. The best one is almost always the "one I
happen to
be on at the moment"!!! I loved the older smaller ships the best. The huge
mega
builds are not usually for me, but have enjoyed some of them in spite of
their huge
size.
Each line holds something fairly unique, which I enjoy. But there are
always the
similarities too. Always those "how did you like this cruise" forms which I
have
stopped filling out. How many times can you write "excellent"!!!

Ermalee ---loves variety

Old February 21st, 2006, 02:44 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Tom K wrote:
Just wondering...

Some people like Jean like to try a lot of different cruise lines.

I seem to find that as I go on more cruises (30+), I get more satisfaction
out of going with what I'm comfortable with.

I've only repeated one ship (Zuiderdam), and I've also sailed sisters
(Rhapsody & Enchantment OTS). There was a long gap between the sisters,
so while the layout was familiar, the second cruise still felt new. I
was surprised, however, to discover how nice it was to return to Zuidy
and to have that immediate familiarity upon boarding. With so many
options out there, I never saw my self as a repeater, but it was
actually pretty nice - something I'd do again. However, I do like to
try new (to me) as well, which is why it's a Miracle cruise for me in
less than two weeks. I don't think I'd want to return cruise on all the
ships I've been on, but there are a few that I wouldn't mind
revisiting, if the opportunity arose.

Lee

Old February 21st, 2006, 03:13 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Tom K wrote:

Just wondering...

Some people like Jean like to try a lot of different cruise lines.

You have to know what works for you, some people are more flexable
then others.

I seem to find that as I go on more cruises (30+), I get more satisfaction
out of going with what I'm comfortable with.

We enjoy trying different cruise lines to find out what they are like.
Some turn out to be better then others, but even when there have
been problems we still have a good cruise. We had problems with the
food on RCCL and with smoke on Carnival and said we wouldn't sail
either line again. As time goes on, if we hear these problems have
gone away or lessened, we might give them another try.

Also our last 4 cruises and our next cruise are group cruises, we seem
to be going where the groups go. Right now I would not do a group on
Carnival, but hope to do some others.

sue

Old February 21st, 2006, 06:56 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

"Jean O'Boyle" wrote in message
et...

I don't think that career types do not necessarily have anything to do
with it, Tom..

Boy, I blubbered and and stumbled all over myself with the sentence above!
Sorry!
What I meant to say is that I don't think careers have anything to do with
it.....
Mostly a personality that desires diversity and adventure! If I want the
same adventure over and over, I stay home for it! ;-)

Old February 21st, 2006, 08:28 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

"Jean O'Boyle" wrote in message
. com...

What I meant to say is that I don't think careers have anything to do with
it.....
Mostly a personality that desires diversity and adventure! If I want the
same adventure over and over, I stay home for it! ;-)

This is an interesting subject. I respect most of the people who post here,
but everyone has, and is entitled to their own point of view.

Just as Tom K would have been displeased had be been part of the QM2 fiasco,
days at sea do not bother me at all, although we have not cruised since I
retired. Prior to that time we cruised as a vacation from work, and while
Tom would probably love the cruise we had to cancel, Rome to Athens, 11
ports in 12 days, I had opted for the Trans-Atlantic repositioning cruise.
Taking a vacation which leaves you exhausted was never my idea of fun.

So my vote is for tried and true. Why change something that works? God
bless the risk takers, but for me, I'll stay with HAL because I know I will
not be surprised.
--
DG in Cherry Hill, NJ

Old February 21st, 2006, 08:29 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

"D Ball" wrote in message
I like to try new and different things.

Diana

I bet you do