Questions about the Maasdam

Old December 28th, 2006, 04:05 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Bev Klein

Default Questions about the Maasdam

We're considering a transatlantic trip on the Maasdam in July and have
been looking at the HA deck plans on their web pages for this ship. Are
the cabin layouts shown on their web pages correct - or just
schematics? Can't understand why they would put the bed under the
windows so that you can't see outside from the couch. We're comparing
categories D and DA and can't tell if there are any differences (except
in price); both classes are adjacent to each other. And the cabin
descriptions tell you nothing about the bathroom space.
Have any any of you sailed on her in these cabin categories? If
so, what was your experience then? Can you point me to a recent review
by a traveler on this ship. Thanks in advance for your help. Elias Klein
Old December 28th, 2006, 07:10 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Sue/WDW1972

Bev Klein wrote:
We're considering a transatlantic trip on the Maasdam in July and have
been looking at the HA deck plans on their web pages for this ship. Are
the cabin layouts shown on their web pages correct - or just
schematics? Can't understand why they would put the bed under the
windows so that you can't see outside from the couch. We're comparing
categories D and DA and can't tell if there are any differences (except
in price); both classes are adjacent to each other. And the cabin
descriptions tell you nothing about the bathroom space.

On the non-verandah cabins the sofa comes first as you enter and the
bed is under the window. This provides a roomier-feeling cabin. When
you move up to a verandah, the bed comes first, followed by the sofa -
otherwise you wouldn't really have access to the balcony if the bed was
in the way.

I usually cruise with a verandah, but booked an outside on a vista
class ship when I did a solo cruise. I found the window was huge - and
frequently sat up there reading. I don't recall if the Maasdam has the
deep window seating - perhaps someone with recent experience can chime
in. There shouldn't be any difference in the D vs DA (or most other
outside cabins) other than location.
Sue

Old January 7th, 2007, 02:09 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
D. Wilkinson

We are booked on the Maasdam 35 day North Atlantic cruise departing July
7th. Have never cruised on HAL. Really looking forward to this cruise
as I have always wanted to go to Iceland and Greenland.
Beds under the windows kind of defeats the propose of having ocean
view.

Old January 7th, 2007, 10:25 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
s.s. Rotterdam

Cat. D is midships and cat DA is fore and aft the D cat.
All cabins do have two lower beds which CAN be combined into a queensize
bed.
If you don't like a queensize, just ask your cabinsteward to split.

Willem

"D. Wilkinson" schreef in bericht
:

Old January 12th, 2007, 03:06 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
grandma Rosalie

We were in cabin 362 and cabin 388 on the Lower Promenade Deck on the
most recent cruise. These are category C, but the layout on the web
page is pretty much exactly what we had including the bathroom. The
two twin beds together are supposed to be equal to a queen, but I think
it is closer to a king.

You can look out the window (which is quite large) from the bed and our
windows looked out on the walking track. We were under the kitchen and
there was a lot of noise from things being rolled around overhead, and
I think the pipes banged when people flushed their toilets. 388 was
also right next to the elevators and both cabins had the passageway and
doors to the walking track next to them.

I have heard that the four cabins (D category) on the stern are much
bigger than the other cabins. Also you would be under the dining room.

Old January 20th, 2007, 05:59 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
John Sisker

Bev.,

While you did seem to receive some very detailed answers to your original
question, and I really can't expand on that, at least you may enjoy a few
pictures aboard the Maasdam itself. It's a small photo album, but starts at
"Our Flight" to "Montreal," then to the "MS Maasdam." Enjoy!

MS Maasdam: http://familyalbums.funtigo.com/?b=1...n=1&cr=1&rfm=y

Happy sailing,
John Sisker, SHIP-TO-SHORE CRUISE AGENCY®
(714) 536-3850 or toll free at (800) 724-6644 & (pagoo ID: 714.536.3850)
www.shiptoshorecruise.com