Changing Deutsche marks into Euros ?

Old November 26th, 2006, 12:52 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tom Peel[_2_]

Default Changing Deutsche marks into Euros ?

tim(yet another new home) schrieb:
"Andreas H. Zappel" wrote in message
"tim\(yet another new home\)" wrote:

And these national banks did have a period to exchange the national
cash. And this period was from a few month (6 month if I remember
right) up to never ending (for the german national bank). In some
countries they accepted coins for a shorter period and notes for a
longer one.

Maybe, but I'm not quite sure why you are writing this in the
past tense.

Because in most countries the period was around five years. Only 2 or
3 countries have a longer period.

There is, as yet, no central bank that will not accept bank
notes for exchange (save the complicated rules in NL)

AFAIK the portugese central bank did change the notes for one year
only.

Then you obviously didn't read the web page that you
were directed to

Half the Euro countries will change notes forever
and all will change them until 2012.

tim

As the season of Peace and Good Tidings for All Mankind is
approaching, I can only recommend all NG readers to give their old
currency to the Red Cross. Not only will you save yourselves a lot of
work, but you will
get that warm fuzzy feeling for having done some good.

T.
Old November 26th, 2006, 02:33 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Tom Peel wrote:

[]
The 50 Franc note- yes I kept one! It's the one with the beautiful
picture of the Little Prince and Antoine de Saint Exupéry.
How would anyone want to spend that, a work of art for only 7 euros.
I also kept the 5 DM note for sentimental reasons. I had a habit of
not spending them, I liked the picture so much.
Better than a load of boring old bridges and windows any time.

Yes, the euros are rather boring. Poor Slovenia will be losing the
lovely 200 tolar note soon. I kept two!

--
David Horne- http://www.davidhorne.net
http://www.davidhorne.net/pictures.html http://soundjunction.org
Old November 26th, 2006, 09:41 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tom Peel[_2_]

David Horne, _the_ chancellor of the royal duchy of city south and
deansgate schrieb:
Tom Peel wrote:

[]
The 50 Franc note- yes I kept one! It's the one with the beautiful
picture of the Little Prince and Antoine de Saint Exupéry.
How would anyone want to spend that, a work of art for only 7 euros.
I also kept the 5 DM note for sentimental reasons. I had a habit of
not spending them, I liked the picture so much.
Better than a load of boring old bridges and windows any time.

Yes, the euros are rather boring. Poor Slovenia will be losing the
lovely 200 tolar note soon. I kept two!

I thought the coins were very elegant as well, even though worthless.

T.
Old November 27th, 2006, 03:47 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Anonymouse

I'd like the 50 guilder note & the 50 French franc note. I miss them.

Hi,

with the SunFlowers? that was pretty.

I'd like a nice one of those and a BUNCH of Charles de Gaulle (1976 I
think) 1 Franc coins.

--
To live outside the law, you must be honest.
(Bob Dylan - Absolutely Sweet Marie - Blonde on Blonde - 1966)
Old November 27th, 2006, 07:13 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Walter

Just having a clearout and found 280 DM in notes. Can I still change
these into Euros

Yes. Forever.

(I guess I need to be in Germany to do this) ?

I assume you are right.

Wikipedia is saying the Bundesbank will do it but I think thats the
central bank rather than a high street bank.

I changed 1000 DM last month here in Munich. A federal bank in the city
center still does it. I simply asked my local bank and they gave me the
address.

Walter

Old November 27th, 2006, 08:45 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Arwel Parry

In message , Andreas H.
Zappel writes
"tim\(yet another new home\)" wrote:

And these national banks did have a period to exchange the national
cash. And this period was from a few month (6 month if I remember
right) up to never ending (for the german national bank). In some
countries they accepted coins for a shorter period and notes for a
longer one.

Maybe, but I'm not quite sure why you are writing this in the
past tense.

Because in most countries the period was around five years. Only 2 or
3 countries have a longer period.

There is, as yet, no central bank that will not accept bank
notes for exchange (save the complicated rules in NL)

AFAIK the portugese central bank did change the notes for one year
only.

No, Portuguese notes can be redeemed until 2022, French, Italian, Greek,
and Finnish notes until 2012, Dutch ones until 2032, and the others
without time limit.

Belgian, French, Greek, Portuguese, and Luxembourg coins are already
non-exchangeable, and Dutch coins are only redeemable until the end of
this year. Italian and Finnish coins are exchangeable until 2012.

Looking at the Irish Central Bank's website, they say that they will
exchange up to £3000 in notes and £500 in coin into Euro on the spot,
larger quantities will be paid into a bank account. They also say that
they will still exchange Series A notes (1920s - 1970s) and Series B
notes (1970s - 1990s), which I think is quite generous of them - I
though those had been withdrawn long ago!

--
Arwel Parry
Old December 3rd, 2006, 09:05 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Jesper Lauridsen[_1_]

On 2006-11-27, Walter wrote:

I changed 1000 DM last month here in Munich. A federal bank in the city
center still does it. I simply asked my local bank and they gave me the
address.

Leopoldstrasse 234 is not the city centre.