Accessing this group

Old July 28th, 2008, 02:37 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
George Leppla

Default Accessing this group

"Jr." wrote

No your opinion counts just as everyone's
I was not responding necessarily to the original poster.
I was responding to these people who cannot leave a computer or a cell
phone for 10 days.
How can you call it a vacation if you do the same things you normally do
at work?

It isn't an "either/or" proposition.

For some people, the ability to keep in touch means they CAN take a
vacation. Working 6 to 10 hours a week online while on a cruise ship may be
a small price to pay if it means they can go.

For others, keeping in touch with family might be important. Might not be
for you or me, but for others... it might be critical.

If you look around your cruise the next time you are on a ship, the number
of people who spend significant amounts of time on the internet are very
few.

--
George Leppla http://www.CruiseMaster.com

October 26, 2008 Sleazy 5 http://www.cruisemaster.com/sleazy5.htm
Feb. 8, 2009 Solstice Valentine http://www.cruisemaster.com/solstice.htm
May 10, 2009 ALASKA http://www.cruisemaster.com/moagc4.htm

Old July 28th, 2008, 02:41 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Boomer[_2_]

How can you call it a vacation if you do the same things you normally do
at work?

As long as it doesn't bother anyone else around them what difference would
it make what they do if there enjoying themselves?

Old July 28th, 2008, 10:31 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Tom K

"Jr." wrote in message
. ..

"Rosalie B." wrote in message
"Jr." wrote:

"kerry ambler" kerryamblerNO wrote in message
OOPS!!! use
www.news2web.com, then click enter and search for your
group.
"Rusty Wilson" wrote in message
Hi guys,
I work on cruise ships (and have for a long time), and find many of
the
conversations here very interesting. Unfortunately, when at sea, or
in
various internet cafes, I can't access the newsgroups, so I'm out of
this "loop". But I'm guessing there's some way to get here via
Firefox,
no?

If anyone knows the combination to that particular lock, I'd be
grateful
for the info.

Thanks,
Rusty Wilson

When I am on a cruise I stay away from computers and cell phones - IT'S
VACATION!!!!

But he's not on vacation. He WORKS on cruise ships.

Anyway I LIKE being on the computer. It's fun. I get very nervous if
I can't be on the computer. Of course I'm retired (and a senior and
on a fixed income) so maybe my opinion doesn't count.

No your opinion counts just as everyone's
I was not responding necessarily to the original poster.
I was responding to these people who cannot leave a computer or a cell
phone for 10 days.
How can you call it a vacation if you do the same things you normally do
at work?

I eat lunch at work... does that mean I need to give up eating lunch while
on a cruise?
I get dressed for work... so do I stop doing that as well?
IN FACT... I never use my cell phone to do work. So given that... even by
your definition... that should be allowed.
And double in fact... I don't do my home e-mail at work... so that should be
allowed on a ship as well.

Perhaps you'd be better off not being so judgmental of what others choose to
do on their vacations. After all... it's THEIR vacation, not yours.

--Tom

Old July 29th, 2008, 06:02 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Dillon Pyron[_2_]

[Default] Thus spake Rosalie B. :

"Rusty Wilson" wrote:

Hi guys,
I work on cruise ships (and have for a long time), and find many of the
conversations here very interesting. Unfortunately, when at sea, or in
various internet cafes, I can't access the newsgroups, so I'm out of this
"loop". But I'm guessing there's some way to get here via Firefox, no?

If anyone knows the combination to that particular lock, I'd be grateful for
the info.

Thanks,
Rusty Wilson

When I'm on a cruise, I go through google groups.

Since we take our laptop(s), I just use Agent. I've never been
blocked as NNTP is a very low volume protocol, as opposed to, say
VoIP. But so much of the web traffic is high volume these days.
Old July 29th, 2008, 01:33 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Rosalie B.

"Rusty Wilson" wrote:

Hi guys,
I work on cruise ships (and have for a long time), and find many of the
conversations here very interesting. Unfortunately, when at sea, or in
various internet cafes, I can't access the newsgroups, so I'm out of this
"loop". But I'm guessing there's some way to get here via Firefox, no?

If anyone knows the combination to that particular lock, I'd be grateful for
the info.

Thanks,
Rusty Wilson

When I'm on a cruise, I go through google groups.

Since we take our laptop(s), I just use Agent. I've never been
blocked as NNTP is a very low volume protocol, as opposed to, say
VoIP. But so much of the web traffic is high volume these days.

I wish I'd known that earlier. I use Agent for my email, but haven't done so for
newsgroups. Is there some way to set it so I can do that? Because I HATE the digest

Old July 29th, 2008, 11:20 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
John Sisker John Sisker is offline
Banned

Rusty,

There has already been some good suggestions on how to access this group
while on a cruise/vacation, at least to stay in some type of communication.
Yet, as some already pointed out, the last thing they want to do is be on
the computer while on vacation, while others told of the necessity to be so
anyway.

As for me personally, I try to stay as far away from the computer as
possible, after all, I'm on vacation. On the other hand, there is always
some thing that I need to do, especially since we have our own cruise
agency. Yet, if all I wanted to do is bash others and mean-mouth anyone that
disagrees with me, I certainly would not be wasting my time on a cruise for
such a mundane and useless effort. I think we would all have better things
to do.

Happy sailing...
John Sisker - SHIP-TO-SHORE CRUISE AGENCY (sm)
(714) 536-3850 or toll-free at (800) 724-6644 & (Agency ID: 714.536.3850)
www.shiptoshorecruise.com

Old July 30th, 2008, 05:04 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Rusty Wilson[_2_]

Hi Guys,
Thanks for the good suggestions. Didn't mean to start a ruckus, but I'm
grateful for the info.

Smooth sailing,
Rusty Wilson