Indonesia..

Old September 14th, 2003, 02:07 PM
Cloudsteppa

Default Indonesia..

Hi

I will be travelling from Southern Thailand in May, through Indonesia for a
month and flying out of Bali - I have heard that the Indonesian Islands are
some of the most beautiful places in the world, if anyone could suggest the
best places to stop/see/visit on this route or offer any travel advice i
would be very grateful, i am on a small budget, 'backpacking' with a
friend..

Thanks in advance,

Beej
Old September 14th, 2003, 04:43 PM
Pete Loud

Hi,

To help plan your route check out my "Maps of Indonesia" at,
http://users.powernet.co.uk/mkmarina

Selamat Jalan,

Pete Loud

om...

Old September 15th, 2003, 12:02 AM
kim isaksen

From my 4 months there i remember the togian islands the most beautufull
islands, in the center of sulawesi. quiet paradise. No fullmoon party, etc.
Just water, light, sun, swimming, diving.. Very peacyfull. Believe me
Also for snorkling/diving bunaken on the northtip is a nice place. And the
toraja highlands is very good. But you'll need some time there to get away
from the guides. Rent a mountain bike. Then it´s fantastic.

I did the bali to east-timor journey. And scuba diving in east timor is a
MUST. Renting a motorcycle the same. Nice people, fantastic countrysite.
Just great.
-Lombok is also somewhat great, but turisty. The gilis is good for a few
days of partying
-Alor. Well i wish a made it, but ended up waiting 5 days for the ferry. But
everyone said it´s a fantastic place.
-Flores for scuba-diving, vulkano climbing (kelimuto), and trips to komodo.
-Sumba. Off the beaten trek. Nice oportunity to stay very local. Spent one
night in the cheefs hut, just above 10 waterbuffalos there
-sumbawa. Dont know - just passing through. Beautyfull though.

Finally you have palau weh north of sumatra. A cheap paradise where everyone
i meet intended to stay 2-6 day but ended up staying there for min. two
weeks. Its very possible that its impossible to go there right now though.
But i havent kept uptodate on the ACEH conflict.

/Kim Isaksen

Old September 24th, 2003, 05:41 PM
TC

Hi,

The big lake in Sumatra is "Lake Toba", it is a valcano lake. The water is
crystal clear. Nearby lake Toba, you can go to Bukit Lawang and
Bukittinggi. Over there, you can see "Orang Utan". However, both are far
from Bali.

Actually, nearby Bali, there are quite a lot of islands and fantastic place,
like Lombok, Flore, Komodo. You can see some volcano in Lombok and Flore.
And Komodo Dragon in Komodo. ( The biggest lizard in the World ).

Moreover Mt. Bromo is around 7 hours by bus, you can go there to have a
look.

Thomas

"Patrick Powers" wrote in message
om...
(Cloudsteppa) wrote in message

. com...
Hi

I will be travelling from Southern Thailand in May, through Indonesia

for a
month and flying out of Bali - I have heard that the Indonesian Islands

are
some of the most beautiful places in the world, if anyone could suggest

the
best places to stop/see/visit on this route or offer any travel advice i
would be very grateful, i am on a small budget, 'backpacking' with a
friend..

Thanks in advance,

Beej

I've been told the big lake in Sumatra is great and quite cheap.

Everybody says Mnt. Bromo is amazing, and Jakarta is nasty. Bali is

wonderful.

Old September 26th, 2003, 12:13 PM
Mike987

East Java:

- Surabaya (cultural)

How could you miss out Malang, with the nearby Singosari temples?

And it has one of the nicest hotels in Indonesia (the Tugu).
Old September 26th, 2003, 12:20 PM
Markku Grönroos

"Mike987" wrote in message
East Java:

- Surabaya (cultural)

How could you miss out Malang, with the nearby Singosari temples?

And it has one of the nicest hotels in Indonesia (the Tugu).

Perhaps the list is imperfect even with this addition.