Digital photography, changing the world

Old December 17th, 2004, 11:33 PM
Keith Willshaw

"Jeremy Henderson" wrote in message
On 2004-12-17 22:07:59 +0100, Mxsmanic said:

Keith Willshaw writes:

Nothing , they are available for around £3,300

And they still don't match film. So a 300D certainly won't do.

How do you deduce that?

The voices in his head told him.

Keith

Old December 17th, 2004, 11:33 PM
Keith Willshaw

Old December 20th, 2004, 04:16 PM
The Reids

Following up to Tim Challenger

The practical upshot of them not being "full frame" is to increase the
apparent focal length. If you shoot lots of wide-angle (as I suspect you
do, going by the photos on you site), I can see that would be a
disadvantage, and you'd probably have to fork out for one shorter lens. If
not, then I don't think it makes much practical difference.

I use 17mm and 24mm, so non full frame is not a great option,
requiring unfeasible lenses like 10mm!

What make do you have now? The Nikon D70 can be had for around 800 quid,
cheaper if you just want the body. And Canon have one for around the same
price. Still too much for me unfortunately.

Second hand Pentax P50 or was it 30? I just buy a new body when
the old one fails. Lenses I take more seriously.
--
Mike Reid
Wasdale-Thames path-London-photos "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" -- you can email us@ this site

Old December 20th, 2004, 04:35 PM
Tim Challenger

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 16:16:44 +0000, The Reids wrote:

Following up to Tim Challenger

The practical upshot of them not being "full frame" is to increase the
apparent focal length. If you shoot lots of wide-angle (as I suspect you
do, going by the photos on you site), I can see that would be a
disadvantage, and you'd probably have to fork out for one shorter lens. If
not, then I don't think it makes much practical difference.

I use 17mm and 24mm, so non full frame is not a great option,
requiring unfeasible lenses like 10mm!

I can see that would be a problem. :-( Pretty pricey to boot.
You could always put masking tape around the outer part of the objective.
;-)

What make do you have now? The Nikon D70 can be had for around 800 quid,
cheaper if you just want the body. And Canon have one for around the same
price. Still too much for me unfortunately.

Second hand Pentax P50 or was it 30? I just buy a new body when
the old one fails. Lenses I take more seriously.

Pantax do a model called *ist DS. Around US$800-900.

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/pentaxistds/page2.asp

I guess the lenses would fit. You won't get a Digital SLR for much less
than that at the moment. Prices are falling gradually though.

--
Tim C.
Old December 20th, 2004, 05:13 PM
The Reids

Following up to Tim Challenger

I can see that would be a problem. :-( Pretty pricey to boot.
You could always put masking tape around the outer part of the objective.
;-)

They have started making super wides for non full frame digitals,
but it seems back to front to me as super wides have problems of
their own, i'll wait till they cam make the sensors more cheaply,
we are still at the equiv. of 32Mbte hard drives in cameras.

What make do you have now? The Nikon D70 can be had for around 800 quid,
cheaper if you just want the body. And Canon have one for around the same
price. Still too much for me unfortunately.

Second hand Pentax P50 or was it 30? I just buy a new body when
the old one fails. Lenses I take more seriously.

Pantax do a model called *ist DS. Around US$800-900.

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/pentaxistds/page2.asp

I guess the lenses would fit. You won't get a Digital SLR for much less
than that at the moment. Prices are falling gradually though.

Without looking IIRC it isn't full frame, no doubt they will be
2-300 one day.
Old December 21st, 2004, 09:06 AM
Tim Challenger

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 14:51:41 +0100, Mxsmanic wrote:

Tim Challenger writes:

I could say "you", and you could define the word to mean "someone but not
me" if you like.

That is already one of its definitions.

Yes, as defined by you.
--
Tim C.
Old December 21st, 2004, 09:18 AM
Tim Challenger

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 15:48:31 GMT, devil wrote:

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 09:54:54 +0100, Tim Challenger wrote:

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 22:05:19 +0100, Mxsmanic wrote:

Tim Challenger writes:

We're all over-emotional.

I'm not.

I was being sarcastic. But then you wouldn't know about that. My bad.

Why oh why don't you let Anthony show his emotions? Can't you see how
badly he needs to?

:-) All that lack of testosterone is getting him down.

--
Tim C.