Everlasting Resort Memory - Safety

Old January 22nd, 2005, 03:16 AM
Richard Ferguson

Default Everlasting Resort Memory - Safety

This story should remind us all that safety standards in Mexico are much
lower than those in the USA, even in the resorts that cater to
Americans. Visitors to Mexico need to try to be vigilant for all kinds
of safety issues, in any situation. The simplest example, but a common
one, is unmarked holes in sidewalks, something that would never be
tolerated in the USA. I believe that this disregard of safety also
applies to other third world countries.

However, in defense of Mexico, I would note that safety standards in the
USA have gone up dramatically in my own lifetime, due to OSHA and many
other factors. For example, the attitude toward drunken driving in the
USA has changed dramatically in the last 30 years. In many respects,
Mexico today may be comparable to the USA 50 or 75 years ago, when large
construction projects in the USA often killed dozens of workers.

Lest anyone misinterpret my comments, I am not directly addressing the
death of this child, but simply trying to make a general point about
safety in Mexico. Perhaps someone reading this thread might avoid an
accident if they are more careful in Mexico than they would be in the USA.

Richard

littleman wrote:

As we wait for answers from the Federal Government and the State of
Quintana Roo regarding the appeal that was filed concerning the
reinvestigation into the manslaughter of Brent Midlock, whose future
was stolen by the Occidental Grand Xcaret there remain many questions
that require answers. No one from the Mexican government is even
attempting to answer us---they just won't respond.

The reinvestigation leads us to the need for answers as to the
continued lack of safety implementations at the Occidental Grand
Xcaret. We can not understand why no one is being held accountable for
stealing Brent's life. He was a happy, healthy 8 year old who
absolutely loved his life. Due to the negligence and incompetent pool
maintenence Brent was violently sucked into an underwater, uncovered
12" drain pipe. This is an outrage for the size of Occidental to put
managers in place who did NOTHING, but lie and attempt to cover-up the
atrocity. Never did they show remorse for their gross negligence. It
suggests that they have no regard for safety or life, and if that is
true then there is an absence of the heart, soul and spirit. Without
having those values who are you? what are you? NOTHING!!!

When you betray the soul of a child the day will come to pay for such a
crime.
The Mexican Riviera is heavily promoted, but the standards of safety
were/are not a consideration for this resort. A resort such as this
should never be patronized.

Old January 22nd, 2005, 04:12 AM
asadi

good point. What has been the responses of other hotels....has this hotel
corrected the hazard?

john