Te Anau/Kepler track Questions..

Old March 2nd, 2005, 10:50 AM
Book

Default Te Anau/Kepler track Questions..

Greetings...

Am heading over to NZ on Saturday for a quick visit (1 week), and we have an
itinerary sort of like this:
Day 1:Arr Sat pm, stay in Christchurch overnight
Day 2rive Christchurch- Te Anau
Day 3-6 Kepler track
Day 7 Milford sound
Day 8 Te Anau- Christchurch

Know there's a lot in a short time, so I've got a few questions...

Various places on the net describe the drive from CHC- Te Anau at around 9
hours... is this accurate, and I assume it is via Queenstown? Is the road in
good condition?

We have to pick up supplies for our tramp, would we be better cost wise to
visit a supermarket in Christchurch (and if so are there any near the
Airport- we are staying at Airport Gateway Motor Lodge) or is the
supermarket at Te Anau well stocked? Another option we were considering was
bringing some freeze dried stuff with us and declaring it (obviously) when
going through customs..

Any recommendations for any specific cruise at Milford Sound?

Thanks in advance!

Sean

Old March 3rd, 2005, 09:39 PM
true ba

The road is in good condition but is a slow twisty two lane road.

Go on the Real Journeys overnight cruise at Milford. One of the greatest
experiences of my life.

http://www.realjourneys.co.nz/Main/OvernightCruises/

Do the kayak and underwater observatory. It was seriously worth it. One of
the most amazing things I have ever seen.

The supermarket at Te Anu will work if you want to survive. I bought enough
there to make chili, breakfasts and sandwhiches.

Old March 4th, 2005, 06:46 AM
Ralph Fox

On Wed, 2 Mar 2005 21:50:58 +1100, in message
, Book wrote:

Various places on the net describe the drive from CHC- Te Anau at around 9
hours... is this accurate, and I assume it is via Queenstown? Is the road in
good condition?

The time is fairly accurate.

It is roughly the same, whether you go via Farley - Tekapo - Omarama - Queenstown,
or via Timaru - Oamaru - Dunedin - Balclutha - Gore.

The former route is the more scenic (and overall the more twisty).

--
Cheers,
Ralph

Change is inevitable. Progress is optional.
Old March 6th, 2005, 05:57 AM
Jeff

Hi, I am considering this cruise or the one on Doubful Sound. I am wondering
why this was one of the greatest experiences of your life. Was it the rugged
beauty, the ocean life or the ambience of being on a boat?

regards
Jeff
http://community.webshots.com/user/surfoz