US Credit Card Forex fees

Old August 30th, 2004, 05:45 PM
George Bozovic

Default US Credit Card Forex fees

Hi,

I am from the US and will be living in the UK for at least the next 12
months. I read that the US credit card companies such as First USA and
Citibank now charge a 2-3% fee for all foreign currency transactions.

I also heard that Capital One doesn't charge a fee (except the
standard 1% VISA fee). Does anyone know of the banks that do not
charge a fee for foreign currency exchange?

Thank you,
George
Old August 30th, 2004, 05:51 PM
David Horne

George Bozovic wrote:

Hi,

I am from the US and will be living in the UK for at least the next 12
months. I read that the US credit card companies such as First USA and
Citibank now charge a 2-3% fee for all foreign currency transactions.

I also heard that Capital One doesn't charge a fee (except the
standard 1% VISA fee). Does anyone know of the banks that do not
charge a fee for foreign currency exchange?

Given that you're posting from a BU account, I wonder if you're
currently based in the Boston area? If so, I'd suggest opening a
Wainwright Bank account. The account my partner has with them is called
a Value Checking Account (I don't know if it's still available to new
customers) and it definitely doesn't charge for foreign ATM withdrawals,
and there are no maintenance fees on the account.

David

--
David Horne- www.davidhorne.net
Old August 30th, 2004, 06:13 PM
JohnT

"George Bozovic" wrote in message
om...
Hi,

I am from the US and will be living in the UK for at least the next 12
months. I read that the US credit card companies such as First USA and
Citibank now charge a 2-3% fee for all foreign currency transactions.

I also heard that Capital One doesn't charge a fee (except the
standard 1% VISA fee). Does anyone know of the banks that do not
charge a fee for foreign currency exchange?

Thank you,
George

In the UK:

Liverpool Victoria
Nationwide

JohnT

Old August 30th, 2004, 06:23 PM
Go Fig

In article , Bob
wrote:

Hi,

I am from the US and will be living in the UK for at least the next 12
months. I read that the US credit card companies such as First USA and
Citibank now charge a 2-3% fee for all foreign currency transactions.

I also heard that Capital One doesn't charge a fee (except the
standard 1% VISA fee). Does anyone know of the banks that do not
charge a fee for foreign currency exchange?

Thank you,
George

Could look into using HSBC, I can't say from experience of the US accou-
nt, but my UK HSBC account doesn't charge me for overseas' fees and has
been really good about me still using the account, even though I'm livi-
ng in the States, pretty good online service.

Do you use a UK address for this account ?

My dated experience is that a validated EU address is required to open
an account.

Check out Washington Mutual in the U.S., they have the best nationwide
ATM overseas for transaction fee. Don't know about CC though.

jay
Mon Aug 30, 2004

jay
Mon Aug 30, 2004

Old August 30th, 2004, 09:13 PM
Fustanella

When we used our Huntington and Pulaski cards last year in London, we had no
extra fees. Check with them to see if that's still true.

Old August 31st, 2004, 12:15 AM
George Bozovic

Hi David,

I am not longer a student of BU, however, I am still in the Boston
area. I have somthing similar for my checking account - the First
Internet Bank of Indiana, online bank, which has been very good to me
while I was abroad. I used their service since September, 2001 and I
highly recommend them.

I withdraw cash using their debit card in about 20 countries, even
before the Europe, and they never charged me a fee for it.

However, I am specifically looking for a credit card (US based) that I
can collect miles on.

Thank you,
george

Old August 31st, 2004, 02:17 AM
Larry

George Bozovic wrote:
Hi,

I am from the US and will be living in the UK for at least the next

12
months. I read that the US credit card companies such as First USA

and
Citibank now charge a 2-3% fee for all foreign currency transactions.

I also heard that Capital One doesn't charge a fee (except the
standard 1% VISA fee). Does anyone know of the banks that do not
charge a fee for foreign currency exchange?

Thank you,
George

MBNA America doesn't charge a fee. I use it exclusively when traveling
outside of the US. Their exchange rate is within a few basis points of
the posted exchange rate in the WSJ each day.

Larry