Avoid Delta and Atlanta

Old July 24th, 2006, 05:47 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.british,soc.culture.usa,alt.politics.bush
Mxsmanic

Default Draconian vacation policies for US slave workers

nobody writes:

You *can* die from heat. You WILL die from cold.

You can and will die from extremes in either direction.

In heat, you can survive without air conditioning.

No, you cannot, beyond a certain point. You must have a way of
removing body heat, and that requires active cooling. The body's own
evaporative cooling is only reliable up to a certain (modest)
threshold of heat; thereafter, external cooling is mandatory, or
hyperthermia and death will ensue.

Drink lots, have a fan, dress properly. No problem.

See above. In high temperature and humidity, a fan and drinks will
not suffice, as they will not be able to remove body heat quickly
enough through perspiration to prevent hyperthermia.

Using a fan also raises temperature and humidity.

If you turn off your air conditioning and follow the above,
you will have gotten used to it within days.

Modern cities in hot climates cannot function without air
conditioning.

The human body is built to have its own cooling (it is
called sweat).

The human body survives by sweating only within narrow limits.

And you can survive even when outside temperature exceeds
body temperature.

Only within narrow limits and under certain conditions.

In cold, if you do not have proper clothing, you will
die and/or lose limbs to frostbite.

Yes. However, with the right clothing, you can tolerate any cold air
temperature that you are ever likely to encounter on the Earth's
surface.

And you still need to drink and eat properly. And
remember that at night, you need extra warm sleeping bag because your
metabolism slows down and you generate less heat.

You just need warm clothing, be it a sleeping bag or something else.

It is easier to learn to survive in heat than in cold.

No, it's just the opposite. You can survive cold with protective
clothing alone. In heat, you must have active cooling.

At 40°C, you are only 20 degrees from optimal temperature. But at -20°,
you are 40 degrees from optimal comfort temperature.

But at 40° C, heat must be actively removed from your body, whereas at
-20° C, you need do nothing more than conserve a portion of the heat
your body produces.

Old July 24th, 2006, 06:53 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.british,soc.culture.usa,alt.politics.bush
mrtravel[_1_]

Mxsmanic wrote:

Using a fan also raises temperature and humidity.

I use a fan to remove heat from the room.
I also use fans to remove heat from my car.
Old July 24th, 2006, 08:14 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.british,soc.culture.usa,alt.politics.bush
Miguel Cruz

Dave Frightens Me wrote:
Where have you been visiting lately? Apparently not Europe, or you'd
be visiting rte more!

Spent a month in Europe around May but was kind of on autopilot. Two
weeks in Holland, then went down to Sevilla for Feria season. Couldn't
get a flight to Sevilla (everything full), so I looked on the map and
the closest place with cheap flights turned out to be Faro, Portugal, on
Transavia. It only looked to be a couple hours away from Sevilla on the
map, so I figured there'd probably be hourly trains or something.

Boy was that guess wrong. I got there and there wasn't even daily
scheduled bus service - I arrived on Saturday and the next bus was
Monday. No train at all (except via Lisbon!). Finally on Sunday someone
tipped me off to a secret bus, the existence of which had been denied by
everyone else, that made the trip in only about 4 hours.

Feria was quite a sight though.

At the same time, the cultural monotony of Sevilla is unsettling. A
giant city, with something like 6 restaurants (not including fast food)
that aren't Spanish/French/Italian. Every one of those 6 was full of
foreigners and (by their accents) madrilenos, not a sevillano in sight.

It's very beautiful, but I can't deal with Spain for long.

Me, I got married and moved to Italy, and am loving every baking
moment of summer!

Congratulations. Does this mean you'll be settling down in one place?

miguel
--
Photos from 40 countries on 5 continents: http://travel.u.nu
Latest photos: Malaysia; Thailand; Singapore; Spain; Morocco
Old July 24th, 2006, 09:53 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.british,soc.culture.usa,alt.politics.bush
Keith W[_1_]

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
news
nobody writes:

See above. In high temperature and humidity, a fan and drinks will
not suffice, as they will not be able to remove body heat quickly
enough through perspiration to prevent hyperthermia.

And yet people survive in Asia and Africa without AC,
refrigeration or fans

Using a fan also raises temperature and humidity.

Really

How precisely does a fan manufacture water ?

Keith

Old July 24th, 2006, 09:55 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.british,soc.culture.usa,alt.politics.bush
Dave Frightens Me

On Mon, 24 Jul 2006 15:14:59 +0800, Miguel Cruz
wrote:

Dave Frightens Me wrote:

Me, I got married and moved to Italy, and am loving every baking
moment of summer!

Congratulations. Does this mean you'll be settling down in one place?

Well, I've been here almost two years now. My wife has itchy feet (she
has travelled less than I, and wants to catch up!), and wants to go to
Iran, Argentina or Senegal. I am missing SE Asia, but also want to go
back to the Middle East, which is a bit more accessible from here.
Basically, we're both hopeless at making decisions.

Until a decision is made, we're kicking back on the beach, waiting for
a change in the weather. Planning a scooter tour around Corsica in
September which should be awesome.
--
---
DFM - http://www.deepfriedmars.com
Old July 24th, 2006, 12:09 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.british,soc.culture.usa,alt.politics.bush
Mxsmanic

Keith W writes:

And yet people survive in Asia and Africa without AC,
refrigeration or fans

Actually, A/C is extremely common in Asia. Singapore is famous for
its extensive use of A/C, in particular.

Hot climates without A/C are very primitive, and are likely to remain
so for as long as they don't have A/C.

Really

How precisely does a fan manufacture water ?

It doesn't. But it speeds evaporation of sweat by increasing air
movement. The sweat thus evaporated increases the amount of water
vapor in the air, thereby increasing relative humidity.

Old July 24th, 2006, 02:24 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.british,soc.culture.usa,alt.politics.bush
The Reid[_1_]

Following up to Tchiowa

Which are you labelling a fairy tale? Weren't you aware that global
warming has been going on for over 10,000 years?

do you ever wonder why the worlds scientists think otherwise?
--
Mike Reid
Walk-eat-photos UK "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" -- you can email us@ this site
Old July 24th, 2006, 02:30 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.british,soc.culture.usa,alt.politics.bush
Mxsmanic

The Reid writes:

do you ever wonder why the worlds scientists think otherwise?

The world's scientists are not a single organism, and there is no
subject on which they _all_ agree.

Old July 24th, 2006, 03:40 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.british,soc.culture.usa,alt.politics.bush
The Reid[_1_]

Following up to Mxsmanic

do you ever wonder why the worlds scientists think otherwise?

The world's scientists are not a single organism, and there is no
subject on which they _all_ agree.

kindly precis the consensus.
Old July 24th, 2006, 04:06 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.british,soc.culture.usa,alt.politics.bush
mrtravel[_1_]

The Reid wrote:

Following up to Tchiowa

Which are you labelling a fairy tale? Weren't you aware that global
warming has been going on for over 10,000 years?

do you ever wonder why the worlds scientists think otherwise?

The ice age was a long time ago, so warming has been going on for quite
a while.