Why do people live in Florida?

Old September 5th, 2004, 12:04 AM
puzzled

Default Why do people live in Florida?

A massive hurricane seems to hit Florida every few years. I really don't
understand why people continue to live there. Don't they get tired of having
to evacuate every summer, and having their houses destroyed? Someone explain
this to me.

Old September 5th, 2004, 12:28 AM
Louis Boyd

puzzled wrote:
A massive hurricane seems to hit Florida every few years. I really don't
understand why people continue to live there. Don't they get tired of having
to evacuate every summer, and having their houses destroyed? Someone explain
this to me.

It's explained by warm weather, nice beaches, and senility. Also cheap
hurricane insurance. The Bible also explains it. Something about fools
building their homes on sand.
Old September 5th, 2004, 02:39 AM
eüphemism

"Louis Boyd" wrote in message
puzzled wrote:
A massive hurricane seems to hit Florida every few years. I really

don't
understand why people continue to live there. Don't they get tired of

having
to evacuate every summer, and having their houses destroyed? Someone

explain
this to me.

It's explained by warm weather, nice beaches, and senility. Also cheap
hurricane insurance. The Bible also explains it. Something about fools
building their homes on sand.

That is not what the story means. When you find one about fools building
their houses in swampland, you'll be getting closer.

Old September 5th, 2004, 02:32 AM
eüphemism

puzzled wrote in message
A massive hurricane seems to hit Florida every few years. I really don't
understand why people continue to live there. Don't they get tired of

having
to evacuate every summer, and having their houses destroyed? Someone

explain
this to me.

You should probably review the specifics with more care. I lived in Florida
for 25 years and endured only one hurricane - it was a Cat-1 wimp named
"David" in 1979. Andrew was the only really devastating hurricane that came
close to where I lived - and it was terrible. It was supposed to hit the
Palm Beaches, but it never turned north and just went straight in - it
actually "missed" the most major population areas of south Florida. Had it
come in 50 miles further north, the damage could have easily been 10 times
worse.

This is the first hurricane in modern history to affect this extensive of a
stretch of population. There have never been evacuations involving 2
million people. This storm is "raking" the coast starting just at Ft.
Lauderdale all the way up to at least Melbourne. Nasty, nasty, nasty.

Property values have gone ****house in Florida over the last four years.
Maybe this will stop that madness.

This season will clearly be a modern record for the number of people
directly impacted by hurricanes. The bad news is that there are three
months of hurricane season remaining - and there's another storm already out
there - by the name of Ivan.

You may marvel at the stupidity of Floridians as they hunker down during
these storms. That's okay. They have all snickered at your expense as they
sat on the porch, sipping coolers and watching the coverage of those
relentless winter storms that bury the north every single year. The shots
of people slowly sliding their cars into poles, walls or other vehicles was
always my personal favorite.

Old September 5th, 2004, 08:09 PM
Joe Spekowsky[[email protected]

On Sat, 4 Sep 2004 20:32:36 -0500, "eüphemism"
wrote:

You may marvel at the stupidity of Floridians as they hunker down during
these storms. That's okay. They have all snickered at your expense as they
sat on the porch, sipping coolers and watching the coverage of those
relentless winter storms that bury the north every single year. The shots
of people slowly sliding their cars into poles, walls or other vehicles was
always my personal favorite.

LOL...of course your not unique. Most everyone loves warm weather so
dont feel too special superstar. But laughing at ppl who endure a
snowstorm aint gonna compare to that same pole that flies into a car
instead of the opposite. LOL, that is my personal favorite. A winter
storm dont force ppl inland or to care shelters. Face it, every place
has its pros and cons, you just need to use your ****ing head and
realize it
Old September 5th, 2004, 02:48 AM
ScanMan

Amen to that. I don't care where you live, you have hazards. Umm, that's all
part of the wonderful world we live in.

What's that old song, Your Blues Ain't Like Mine...

A Happy Floridian

Old September 5th, 2004, 05:59 AM
grisgrisfunk

"ScanMan" wrote in message
Amen to that. I don't care where you live, you have hazards. Umm, that's

all
part of the wonderful world we live in.

What's that old song, Your Blues Ain't Like Mine...

A Happy Floridian

I agree... Connecticut is a hazardous state to drive in, and that's an
everyday occurence. People here only know one speed, FAST. Crazy reckless
drivers. Once in awhile a person from Massachusetts will cross the border,
they're even worse. We call them Massholes!

So I agree, every state has it's hazards. I deal with them everyday on the
road.

Mike R.

Old September 6th, 2004, 02:40 AM
Richard Johnson

"eüphemism" wrote in message

puzzled wrote in message
[...]

Actually it is what you get used to. As a native San Diegan, I never had
to put up with tornados, huge lighting storms, cockroachs as big as small
dogs, or hurricanes and heat with 100% humidity. I did put up with flea's,
earthquakes, and water that would dull a knife if you tried to cut it.
(When making concrete you only have to use a half a bag to get the same
volume as normal places...OK exaggeration...but that water was hard.) All
in all I would rather live in San Diego than Miami, any day of the week.
But Florida's waters are beautiful. I now live in the Pacific Northwest
(West of the Cascades). It is very beautiful here. The winters are mild,
and it is a bit rainy. But almost no insects (by comparison to anywhere in
the South or Northeast.). But...there are the things called volcanoes.