back from the brink

Old April 12th, 2015, 03:23 AM posted to comp.mobile.ipad,comp.sys.mac.apps,rec.travel.europe,soc.history.medieval
nospam[_2_]

Default back from the brink

In article , Jamie
Kahn Genet wrote:

My personal favourite was always people who used the Trash/Recycle Bin
as storage for files they wanted out of the way, but still accessible,
with the inevitable disaster following.

i know someone who when visiting a client, first empties their trash.

if they bitch, he lectures them about storing real stuff in the real
trash can.

his clients no longer use it as storage.
Old April 12th, 2015, 12:06 PM posted to comp.mobile.ipad,comp.sys.mac.apps,rec.travel.europe,soc.history.medieval
Jamie Kahn Genet

On 2015-04-12, Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:

My personal favourite was always people who used the Trash/Recycle Bin
as storage for files they wanted out of the way, but still accessible,

I was stunned speechless the first time I came across that.

I recall one guy who _still_ didn't get it when I asked them if they
would store important real life files in their trash bin. One would
think the Trash was one of the most obvious metephors of the GUI
desktop, but not obvious enough for everyone, I guess :-D

Old April 12th, 2015, 03:40 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Erilar

S Viemeister wrote:
On 4/11/2015 10:38 AM, tim..... wrote:

"Erilar" wrote in message

Vikings 8-) actually, most anything pre-15th century, geography, geology,
non-modern music

So I'd be interested in hearing about what you find there (the music
excepted)

I understand there's a pretty lively music scene in the Faeroes.

I was talking to (picking the brain of ) a person who actually sings
Faroese music about what to look for there 8-)
--
biblioholic medievalist
Old April 12th, 2015, 03:40 PM posted to comp.mobile.ipad,comp.sys.mac.apps,rec.travel.europe,soc.history.medieval
Erilar

Tim Streater wrote:
In article
-september.
, Erilar wrote:

Tim Streater wrote:
In article
-septembe
r.org, Erilar wrote:
Tim Streater wrote:
In article
-septembe
r.org, Erilar wrote:
nospam wrote:
In article
-september.
, Erilar wrote:
And what happened to your backups of the iTunes data from your older
machine? What happened to the older computer itself, with it's data?
I'm using it for foto editing and newsgroups not in Newstap on the
iPad. It
couldn't restore the app data because the new machine had dumped them
and
it restored them empty.
so what? do another full restore, this time from your actual backup,
which will wipe the emptiness and restore your apps and data.
That's how I got the apps back, but they were empty.
What is an "empty app" and how does it differ from a full one ??
Think brand new, downloaded for the first time. Empty.
Fine, so you've now got the old Pages on your new machine. So use it.

It's, as usual with "up"grades, missing functions I used regularly. I
presume there are the additional useless bells and whistles I have no use
for.

Then it's not the old Pages, is it?

Exactly. It's a downgrade yet again.

--
biblioholic medievalist
Old April 12th, 2015, 03:41 PM posted to comp.mobile.ipad,comp.sys.mac.apps,rec.travel.europe,soc.history.medieval
Erilar

On 2015-04-12, Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:

My personal favourite was always people who used the Trash/Recycle Bin
as storage for files they wanted out of the way, but still accessible,

I was stunned speechless the first time I came across that.

I recall one guy who _still_ didn't get it when I asked them if they
would store important real life files in their trash bin. One would
think the Trash was one of the most obvious metephors of the GUI
desktop, but not obvious enough for everyone, I guess :-D

The Trash stays full until I'm sure I want to get rid of its contents, but
I have a "strays" folder for things I just want out of the way longer term
8-)

--
biblioholic medievalist
Old April 12th, 2015, 03:44 PM posted to comp.mobile.ipad,comp.sys.mac.apps,rec.travel.europe,soc.history.medieval
D. Spencer Hines

It's just part and parcel of the General Dumbing-Down Of The Culture.

DSH

"The final happiness of man consists in the contemplation of truth....
This is sought for its own sake, and is directed to no other end beyond
itself." Saint Thomas Aquinas, [1224/5-1274] "Summa Contra Gentiles"
[c.1258-1264]

"Erilar" wrote in message

Tim Streater wrote:
In article
-september.
, Erilar wrote:

Tim Streater wrote:
In article
-septembe
r.org, Erilar wrote:
Tim Streater wrote:
In article
-septembe
r.org, Erilar wrote:
nospam wrote:
In article
-september.

Old April 12th, 2015, 03:56 PM posted to comp.mobile.ipad,comp.sys.mac.apps,rec.travel.europe,soc.history.medieval
Ken Blake, MVP

On Sat, 11 Apr 2015 22:23:24 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Jamie
Kahn Genet wrote:

My personal favourite was always people who used the Trash/Recycle Bin
as storage for files they wanted out of the way, but still accessible,
with the inevitable disaster following.

i know someone who when visiting a client, first empties their trash.

if they bitch, he lectures them about storing real stuff in the real
trash can.

his clients no longer use it as storage.

If it were me, I would no longer use him for service. Even though I
agree with his point of view, what he does is mean and nasty, and can
even hurt someone who *doesn't* use it for storage, but wants to get
back something that was deleted.

Old April 12th, 2015, 04:16 PM posted to comp.mobile.ipad,comp.sys.mac.apps,rec.travel.europe,soc.history.medieval
nospam[_2_]

In article , Ken Blake, MVP
wrote:

My personal favourite was always people who used the Trash/Recycle Bin
as storage for files they wanted out of the way, but still accessible,
with the inevitable disaster following.

i know someone who when visiting a client, first empties their trash.

if they bitch, he lectures them about storing real stuff in the real
trash can.

his clients no longer use it as storage.

If it were me, I would no longer use him for service. Even though I
agree with his point of view, what he does is mean and nasty, and can
even hurt someone who *doesn't* use it for storage, but wants to get
back something that was deleted.

then they can restore it from a backup.
Old April 12th, 2015, 04:24 PM posted to comp.mobile.ipad,comp.sys.mac.apps,rec.travel.europe,soc.history.medieval
Ken Blake, MVP

On Sun, 12 Apr 2015 11:16:15 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Ken Blake, MVP
wrote:

My personal favourite was always people who used the Trash/Recycle Bin
as storage for files they wanted out of the way, but still accessible,
with the inevitable disaster following.

i know someone who when visiting a client, first empties their trash.

if they bitch, he lectures them about storing real stuff in the real
trash can.

his clients no longer use it as storage.

If it were me, I would no longer use him for service. Even though I
agree with his point of view, what he does is mean and nasty, and can
even hurt someone who *doesn't* use it for storage, but wants to get
back something that was deleted.

then they can restore it from a backup.

Maybe. Unfortunately, not everyone has a backup. And the file may have
been created *after* the last backup was made. Even if he has the file
in a backup, restoring it from a backup is much more trouble than from
the recycle bin.

The whole point of having a recycle bin is to enable you to easily get
back a file you thought you no longer wanted, but changed your mind
about.

Old April 12th, 2015, 04:33 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
S Viemeister[_2_]

On 4/12/2015 10:40 AM, Erilar wrote:
S Viemeister wrote:
On 4/11/2015 10:38 AM, tim..... wrote:
"Erilar" wrote in message
Vikings 8-) actually, most anything pre-15th century, geography, geology,
non-modern music

So I'd be interested in hearing about what you find there (the music
excepted)

I understand there's a pretty lively music scene in the Faeroes.

I was talking to (picking the brain of ) a person who actually sings
Faroese music about what to look for there 8-)

Should be an enjoyable trip!