South Texas/Rio Grande Valley

Old October 6th, 2003, 02:38 PM
Nick

Default South Texas/Rio Grande Valley

Hi,
If anyone has any questions about visiting the Rio Grande Valley in
South Texas, feel free to ask. I am a native living here for 23 years.
Would be happy to help.
Old October 6th, 2003, 04:04 PM

Hi,
If anyone has any questions about visiting the Rio Grande Valley in
South Texas, feel free to ask. I am a native living here for 23 years.
Would be happy to help.

Is it a god place to relocate and live

To get away from winter weather?

Is the economy decent?

John
Old October 7th, 2003, 03:26 AM
TooPlaneCrazy7

Hi John,
Getting away from the winter weather is probably the #1 reason why people are
moving down here. I can't remember where I read it, but the Rio Grande Valley
(RGV) has the most stable climate in the entire state of Texas and usually
stays around 80/90degrees from March to November and high 40s/50s after
December. The last time it snowed was probably in the 1800s, I believe.

The downside is the humidity and it gets very humid in the summer times, but
you can always go to the beach at South Padre Island, which is a short drive
from most of the RGV cities. This island was recently voted as one of the top
10 beaches in the nation based on water quality, sand softness and wildlife.

Since the RGV is located near the Mexican border, everything here is cheap,
cheap, cheap. Gas is the lowest in the country, hotels are one of the cheapest,
and owning ranch land is becoming one of the best deals in the nation. I passed
by a nice 10-acre plat of land a couple of days ago which which included water,
electricity, etc for about 45K. You could get almost the same thing in Austin
or anywhere in the Texas Hill Country for about 150K.

But, if you ask me what I like best about the RGV...I'll tell you it's the
traffic. While it's true that the RGV area is one of the fastest growing areas
in the nation, it still only takes most people an average of 5minutes to get to
where they need. People are extremely laid back here and everything does move
slow....even mail sent to you from the next door neighbor.

So, if I had to sum up best things about the RGV, I'd list the following:
-weather
-diverse terrain: desert, coastal, tropical, hills, mesquite/cacti, palm trees,
palm trees, and palm trees. The only thing we don't have are mountains.
-wildlife: one of the top areas in the country for hunting and viewing
wildlife. If you didn't already know, the RGV is also the #1 area for
birdwatching and more species of birds can be seen here in their annual
migration to warmer climates than any other place in the nation.
-low cost of living
-low traffic
-quality stores
-Mexican cultu best food anywhere
-clean air, no smog
-proximity to hospitals, minor league baseball teams, etc.
-history: the RGV is the oldest area in the state of Texas and one of the most
historic. numerous Civil War and Mexican War battlefields dot the landscape
-agricultu RGV is known as the agriculture center for the state of Texas.
The famous Ruby Red grapefruit is a product of this. Shrimping is also
internationally known.

Watching the Red Sox on TV...just witnessed a head on collision between two
players. One appears to be knocked out unconscious....and now I lost my train
of thought.

Any more questions feel free to ask.

Old October 7th, 2003, 02:26 PM

Hi John,
Getting away from the winter weather is probably the #1 reason why people are
moving down here.

Sounds great!!

Thanks for the info!

But what exactly "defines" the RGV?

Is it just all the land on either side of the Rio
Grande River? If yes..... I was looking at a map of
Texas and that would be a LOT of area! Running form
northwest to southeast to the Gulf.

Where exactly do you live? And in YOUR mind what is
the best "section" or area of the RGV to locate in as
far as climate, people, opportunity, quality of life?

Is the Texas hill country generally considered to be
part of the RGV?

John
Old October 7th, 2003, 03:33 PM
MTV

wrote:

Hi John,
Getting away from the winter weather is probably the #1 reason why people are
moving down here.

Sounds great!!

Thanks for the info!

But what exactly "defines" the RGV?

Is it just all the land on either side of the Rio
Grande River? If yes..... I was looking at a map of
Texas and that would be a LOT of area! Running form
northwest to southeast to the Gulf.

Where exactly do you live? And in YOUR mind what is
the best "section" or area of the RGV to locate in as
far as climate, people, opportunity, quality of life?

Is the Texas hill country generally considered to be
part of the RGV?

John

John,

You need to do a lot of research, or at least become familiar with
geography. Places to start:

http://www.traveltex.com/index.asp?SN=1118472&LS=0

Order the free Texas State Travel Guide - info on all sections of the state
and something about almost all cities, towns and points of interest.

Follow links to the State Parks web site and local area tourism offices.

The RGV is just that. North side of the Rio Grande from the Gulf and South
Padre Island up to about 80 miles inland.

The Hill Country is North of San Antonio, roughly from La Grange in the
East to Fredericksburg in the West along US 290, including Lake Travis & west.

Marv

Old October 7th, 2003, 06:24 PM
MMcC

"MTV" wrote in message

[...]

No, you need to shift everything about 50 or 60 miles west.
La Grange is decidedly 60 or so miles east (South east actually) of Austin,
the Hill Country starts more or less on the west side of Austin. East of
Austin is mostly rolling plains.
Fredricksburg would be towards the North Central part of the Hill Country.
The "hilly-est" and prettiest part of the Hill Country is north and west of
San Antonio, generally west of I-10, around Bandera, Leakey, Hunt, Ingram,
Vanderpool etc.

This might help......
http://www.austinchronicle.com/image...ountry/map.gif

Or for info on places to visit..... http://www.texashillcountry.com/

Michael

Old October 7th, 2003, 07:51 PM

Fredricksburg would be towards the North Central part of the Hill Country.
The "hilly-est" and prettiest part of the Hill Country is north and west of
San Antonio, generally west of I-10, around Bandera, Leakey, Hunt, Ingram,
Vanderpool etc.

This might help......
http://www.austinchronicle.com/image...ountry/map.gif

Thanks Michael.... that map does help explain where the
hill country actually is.

So...... the Rio Grande valley terrain is much
different from the hill country? How so? Is the RGV
more flat..... more humid?

John
Old October 7th, 2003, 09:35 PM
Nick

John wrote:

But what exactly "defines" the RGV?

Is it just all the land on either side of the Rio
Grande River? If yes..... I was looking at a map of
Texas and that would be a LOT of area! Running form
northwest to southeast to the Gulf.

Where exactly do you live? And in YOUR mind what is
the best "section" or area of the RGV to locate in as
far as climate, people, opportunity, quality of life?

Is the Texas hill country generally considered to be
part of the RGV?

Hi John,
The hill country area is very beautiful, but expensive. Bandera,
Wimberley, Blanco, Llano, and the other places that other posters
mentioned in the previous posts are good areas for living in the Hill
Country. It's very hilly there and does get very cold in the winter
times. Also, if it weren't for the number of miles I'd have to drive
before I got anywhere, I'd live there. But, like I said earlier, I
hate driving 50+ miles to go to a grocery store.

Anyways, the RGV area is a very big area of Texas. I remember reading
somewhere that it'll take the state of Rhode Island to multiply about
40+ times before it'll fill the area. The RGV area encompasses nearly
43,000 square miles and most of it is agriculture area. Milo, Aloe,
Grapefruit, melons, sugar cane, and cotton are the major crops.

Here is a good map of what is called the RGV area:
http://valleychamber.com/map.html

I live in Brownsville which is the biggest city in the RGV. It's a
nice city to live in, but it's growing too fast and Brownsville
doesn't seem prepared to handle the growth. Being so close to the
Mexican border, many Mexican nationals cross over to work their day
jobs here. Many people in Brownsville are poor and the city is one of
the poorest cities in the nation, but this makes everything very
affordable for those who aren't rich. The area is very high in culture
arts and entertainment. A world reknowned jazz festival is held here
every October, an international celebration, Charro Days, is held here
and is quickly becoming one of the best known celebrations in the
state. More info on this can be found he http://www.charrodays.org/

As for ideas on where one could relocate, it really depends on what
type of environment/features that you like. If you like the country
setting (like the Texas Hill Country), I'd suggest northern
Raymondville since it's situated at the tail end of the mega King
Ranch of Texas. Don't know what the King Ranch is? Do a search

Like a tropical/coastal setting with tons of fishing opportunities?
Then Port Isabel and South Padre island are ideal..and this is where
most of the retirees go.

Want more of a historic, desert landscape with spanish style buildings
and heavy Mexican culture? Try Rio Grande City or Roma. These towns
are very isolated and may be too close to the Mexican border for your
tastes, but the area is extremely laid back and have some of the
lowest crime rates in the country. Some pictures of these towns can be
viewed he http://www.southtexasfilm.com/flavorstyle_gallery.htm

Want a high-tech city with good stores, restaurants, and a
sophisticated college crowd? McAllen would be your pick.

The city of Harlingen is probably one of the best areas to live in the
RGV because of its proximity to everything. It has the birding
festivals and is just minutes away from the beach, Mexico, major
hospitals, minor league baseball teams, museums, a leading airport,
and is the a second home for "Winter Texans"--those senior citizens
looking to escape the cold weather of the north. What's good about
this town is that it's not too big and not too small. Just right. The
only skyscraper in town is the hospital.

Hope I didn't confuse you even more. Also hope I don't sound like
someone who works for the local Chamber of Commerce, lol.

Lastly, here are some good images of the RGV area:
http://www.southtexasfilm.com/natura...in_gallery.htm
Old October 8th, 2003, 01:37 AM

Hope I didn't confuse you even more. Also hope I don't sound like
someone who works for the local Chamber of Commerce, lol.

No at all Nick!

You have been a BIG help!

Thanks!

John
Old October 8th, 2003, 02:41 AM
MMcC

"Nick" wrote in message
om...
John wrote:

But what exactly "defines" the RGV?

Is it just all the land on either side of the Rio
Grande River? If yes..... I was looking at a map of
Texas and that would be a LOT of area! Running form
northwest to southeast to the Gulf.

Where exactly do you live? And in YOUR mind what is
the best "section" or area of the RGV to locate in as
far as climate, people, opportunity, quality of life?

Is the Texas hill country generally considered to be
part of the RGV?

Hi John,
The hill country area is very beautiful, but expensive. Bandera,
Wimberley, Blanco, Llano, and the other places that other posters
mentioned in the previous posts are good areas for living in the Hill
Country. It's very hilly there and does get very cold in the winter
times.

Uh, very cold??.. where do you live, in the Valley?

Also, if it weren't for the number of miles I'd have to drive
before I got anywhere, I'd live there. But, like I said earlier, I
hate driving 50+ miles to go to a grocery store.

Anyways, the RGV area is a very big area of Texas. I remember reading
somewhere that it'll take the state of Rhode Island to multiply about
40+ times before it'll fill the area. The RGV area encompasses nearly
43,000 square miles and most of it is agriculture area. Milo, Aloe,
Grapefruit, melons, sugar cane, and cotton are the major crops.

Here is a good map of what is called the RGV area:
http://valleychamber.com/map.html

I live in Brownsville which is the biggest city in the RGV.

Ok, that explains it...... lol.

Really, it doesn't get that cold in the Hill Country, the 20's and sometimes
the 10's, but compared to most of the US it is pretty mild. Unless you're
from Florida, SoCal, or far South Texas then it's not bad at all.