Formal nights

Old January 19th, 2011, 01:53 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
MAS

Default Formal nights

Looks like there are 2 formal nights on FOTS. Is it absolutely
necessary for women to wear a cocktail dress? Would a really nice
sequined top and dress slacks work?

Marsha

Old January 19th, 2011, 04:53 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Janet Wilder

On 1/18/2011 7:53 PM, MAS wrote:
Looks like there are 2 formal nights on FOTS. Is it absolutely necessary
for women to wear a cocktail dress? Would a really nice sequined top and
dress slacks work?

Marsha

Yes.

Take a slinky pair of black slacks and some blingy tops. You will be fine.

If you feel like playing dress up (we love it) check out the thrift
shops. I get my cruise gowns at Salvation Army. Most women wear a formal
gown twice then their entire set has seen it.

On our last cruise 2 weeks ago, I had two "new" gowns. One was $10 and
the other $5. I had to pay $18 to shorten the $5 dress as it had a
ruffle down the front that made it hard to hem. I'll wear them for
another couple of cruises then donate them back and take my deduction on
my taxes. g

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Old January 19th, 2011, 05:10 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Tom K

On 1/18/11 8:53 PM, MAS wrote:
Looks like there are 2 formal nights on FOTS. Is it absolutely necessary
for women to wear a cocktail dress? Would a really nice sequined top and
dress slacks work?

Marsha

And you might bring a matching sweater. Ship restaurants tend to be cool.

--Tom
Old January 20th, 2011, 12:28 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
MAS

On 1/18/2011 11:53 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
On 1/18/2011 7:53 PM, MAS wrote:
Looks like there are 2 formal nights on FOTS. Is it absolutely necessary
for women to wear a cocktail dress? Would a really nice sequined top and
dress slacks work?

Marsha

Yes.

Take a slinky pair of black slacks and some blingy tops. You will be fine.

If you feel like playing dress up (we love it) check out the thrift
shops. I get my cruise gowns at Salvation Army. Most women wear a formal
gown twice then their entire set has seen it.

On our last cruise 2 weeks ago, I had two "new" gowns. One was $10 and
the other $5. I had to pay $18 to shorten the $5 dress as it had a
ruffle down the front that made it hard to hem. I'll wear them for
another couple of cruises then donate them back and take my deduction on
my taxes. g

Thanks. I like wearing dresses, but don't want to mess with hose. Some
people can wear a dress without hose, but that just doesn't feel right
to me. One or two pairs of black slacks and two different tops should do it.

Old January 20th, 2011, 12:30 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
MAS

On 1/19/2011 12:10 AM, Tom K wrote:
On 1/18/11 8:53 PM, MAS wrote:
Looks like there are 2 formal nights on FOTS. Is it absolutely necessary
for women to wear a cocktail dress? Would a really nice sequined top and
dress slacks work?

Marsha

And you might bring a matching sweater. Ship restaurants tend to be cool.

--Tom

That cool might feel good after being in the heat all day, but I'll pack
a sweater, too. This is the first time I'm going to travel with a
checked-in bag.

Marsha
Old January 20th, 2011, 06:22 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Charles[_6_]

On Wed, 19 Jan 2011 19:28:47 -0500, MAS wrote:

Thanks. I like wearing dresses, but don't want to mess with hose.

I know how you feel.
--
Charles - "I am not a homo, I am gay."
My portrait - http://tinyurl.com/23cel5j
Old January 20th, 2011, 11:00 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Janet Wilder

On 1/18/2011 7:53 PM, MAS wrote:
[...]

If It's a long gown or dress, you can cheat with knee-highs.

I wear sparkly evening sandals with my gowns. No hose necessary, but I
know what you mean. When I retired I swore I'd never wear another pair
of pantyhose again.